Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

WD 1790 shower sink removal

WD 1790 (2018) has a sink type fixture in the wet-bath shower that takes up too much room for the little utility this faucetless sink has. So, I took out the Phillips head screw driver and removed it. Along with J-trap. Now I am on the hunt for some sort of vent cover that will cover up the 8”x9” hole, along with being 2.5” deep to allow for the remaining PVC fitting for the J-trap fitting which will be capped off and sealed. Saving the plumbing and sink parts.

Looking for maybe a roof vent I can screw in and caulk over the hole? Anybody ever attempt this successfully without just cutting off the PVC excess that sticks 2.5” out of the wall? Perhaps just fashion a cover for the whole works out of water proof canvas, and seal the edges. I dunno. Suggestions / solutions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD sink 1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	170188   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD sink j.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	170189  

Name:	WD sink 2.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	170190  
duluthdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would get a sheet of HDPE or similar material. I like HDPE because it's easy to work with woodworking tools. Perhaps a 12" x12" sheet at 1/4" thick. 1/8" might work too but 1/4" would be stronger.

I would then get a piece of cardboard and cut me a template. It would look kind of like my illustration. I would put a hole in it just big enough for the pipe to fit through..make a few templates until you get where you have the smallest hole that would fit the pipe.

So that would cover the main hole, then you need something to cover the pipe. That is I would take some measurements of how much the pipe sticks out etc.

I would then design using tinker cad or something similar a little cover that could fit over the pipe. I would give it a lip and, and say a hole on each side.

I would then find a friend with a 3D printer or use a 3D printing service.

I may be clear as mud here, and there may be an easier and better solution, but this is how I would approach it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 7.53.45 AM.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	170191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 8.04.04 AM.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	170192  

Anthropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That's probably the most frustrating thing I've found on the 1790. That sink is basically useless and the pipe layout still leaves a stub sticking into the shower area. They could have easily ran it so that it was inside the wall and the PVC threading was there and the cutout a little larger to allow access to - or even like they did by cutting access points in the pantry area.

If you have access to a 3D printer, it should be simple enough to print a cover for it with a flange that you can put sealant on and then have the remainder of the face sticking out the same amount all around to encompass the pipe.

As for a threaded cap, not sure what can be used but surely there is one that will work.

Tags
removal, shower