Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Heater

First time out with my new Minnie 2201 DS. Water heater has been working fine but water is scalding hot. It shut down and cannot get it to run on gas. Any ideas??
spmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has it ever run on gas? I assume the gas is turned on? Can you hear it trying to light?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It can take a while for the gas line to purge the air. Especially if the water heater is at the end of the line. Same questions as Sarah.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well we had it working for a day but the water was scalding hot. I switched it from gas to electric and it works but still scalding hot. I try to switch to gas but it only clicks. I can smell gas if I go outside but that’s it
Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

What is the brand/model of your water heater? Can you see the burner? Sometimes they have debris or bug nests that are blocking the burner.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No the burner is very clean and we have an insect screen on top of it but that doesn’t mean something could a got in there when the dealer had it but I believe it’s electrical because the switch stays lit and a tiny light next to the switch comes on. Even when the electric heats it the water is untouchable.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It is an Atwood
Old 07-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I believe the Atwood water heater has a pre-set max temp of 140 degrees and is not adjustable. So it may be that your thermostat is defective.

If you don't have the manual for your heater, google the model number for the troubleshooting guide.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I will call Atwood on Monday. Will post results
Old 07-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sorry I wasn't more help to you. I hope Atwood can provide a fix so let us know what happens.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I called Atwood and they explained that the ECO ion the gas side went bad and the heating element on the electric side went bad and the thermostat needs to be replaced so anyone that has the same issue of scalding water this is what your problem is .I brought it back to my dealer and they are going to repair it
Old 08-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmansteve View Post
No the burner is very clean and we have an insect screen on top of it but that doesn’t mean something could a got in there when the dealer had it but I believe it’s electrical because the switch stays lit and a tiny light next to the switch comes on. Even when the electric heats it the water is untouchable.
FWIW, the manufacturer of LP water heaters and furnaces state in the owners manual not to use the insect screens-then also state their concerns.

Now to the scalding hot water; we know the thermostats control water temperature and the power to heat the water. If the thermostat is not held tightly against the tank, the thermostat gives a false reading to the controls, which equals water that is too hot.
Remove the cover over the thermostats, gently pull apart the insulation, then inspect the thermostats are held tightly against the tank. Naturally all power is off when performing this inspection.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
It can take a while for the gas line to purge the air. Especially if the water heater is at the end of the line. Same questions as Sarah.
I like to light my stove first to get the gas moving. Once the stove lights then the water heater and the refer fire right up.
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
First time out with my new Minnie 2201 DS. Water heater has been working fine but water is scalding hot. It shut down and cannot get it to run on gas. Any ideas??
The reason the water is so hot is because of the tank size. 6 to 10 gal tanks are typical. Tempering with cold water is what we learn to do and this extends the time hot water is available. You can install a tempering valve. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_734n4hbv8z_e Can be a bit pricey.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I called Atwood and they explained that the ECO on the gas side went bad and the heating element on the electric side went bad and the thermostat needs to be replaced so anyone that has the same issue of scalding water this is what your problem is.I brought it back to my dealer and they are going to repair it
Thanks for reporting back and I'm glad they are going to fix it for you.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I called Atwood and they explained that the ECO ion the gas side went bad and the heating element on the electric side went bad and the thermostat needs to be replaced so anyone that has the same issue of scalding water this is what your problem is .I brought it back to my dealer and they are going to repair it
I realize you do have a problem with your water heater. But, did you ever measure the temperature of your hot water? According to my grill thermometer my water is at 141*. And it hurts if I get my hand into it. I'd call that scalding.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I realize you do have a problem with your water heater. But, did you ever measure the temperature of your hot water? According to my grill thermometer my water is at 141*. And it hurts if I get my hand into it. I'd call that scalding.
RV water heaters thermostats are set that way simply because their small size limits the amount of water they can heat in a specified time. If they were set to 120°F you would be taking a cold shower if it lasted longer than a few minutes.
You may of course buy an adjustable thermostat, install it, then play around with water temperature until it fits your lifestyle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
RV water heaters thermostats are set that way simply because their small size limits the amount of water they can heat in a specified time. If they were set to 120°F you would be taking a cold shower if it lasted longer than a few minutes.
You may of course buy an adjustable thermostat, install it, then play around with water temperature until it fits your lifestyle.
Exactly. I was answering the post about scalding. These little tanks require high temperature water output, true. I posted a link to Amazon earlier showing a great number of different tempering valves. They can be very pricey. RVers need to more careful using their faucets than in most stick & brick homes. Adding a tempering valve would reduce the frequency of getting one's pinkies hurt at the sink or more personal body parts in the shower .

RVing requires some adjustments to our "normal" lifestyle habits. Using the facilities is at the top of the list I think. Just another adventure on the road.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater