Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Undersized Rear Bumper 2106FBS

Ok, Thanks Winnie for the 4 " bumper. Couldn't you go just a quarter inch more so the Camco Rhino Flex could fit in there???? Has anyone ever changed out the 4" for something larger? Is it possible? Is it expensive to do ? As it stands now the Rhino will have to get packaged and go into the passthrough. Would prefer otherwise.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The Rhino Flex slides into my 2106DS bumper. I had to adjust the position of the little wings/tabs on the connectors on each end of the hose to fit the bumper square since the tabs don't allow the hose to twist when you slide it in, but other than that I didn't have problems. I will admit that the Rhino is a tighter fit than run of the mill hoses and connectors.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

They would have had to go to 4.5"X4.5" as that is the next size standard tubing. Since most sewer hoses fit the 4" they probably wouldn't want to add the weight or expense. You could always buy a piece from the local steel supply and have a welder cut the mounts off the old one and weld them to the new one and fab up a door.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Mine fits with twisting the wings as Fred says.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I got frustrated with trying to use the bumper for the drain hose and ended up slinging two lengths of pvc fence pipe behind the wheels.
Now I have enough room for the 15’ main drain, 10’ extension and both fittings.
Wish the manufacturers would at least make the bumpers a little bigger with a better end cover.
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sewer hose

I too mounted a 5" PVC fence post on top of the bumper. I use a few blocks between bumper and post. I also drilled holes in bottom of pipe. I used end caps for the ends. Screwed in one end to be permanent. The other end I drill 2 holes and inserted a threatened rod with wing nuts. Easy to take off and on.
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
Ok, Thanks Winnie for the 4 " bumper. Couldn't you go just a quarter inch more so the Camco Rhino Flex could fit in there???? Has anyone ever changed out the 4" for something larger? Is it possible? Is it expensive to do ? As it stands now the Rhino will have to get packaged and go into the passthrough. Would prefer otherwise.
Just last week a member was complaining about his 4.5" bumper because he cannot find replacement bumper plugs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
OK, I had a top of the line Fleetwood 5th wheel and guess what, it had a 4" bumper. I have the same hose and I keep the dump attachment with in the storage with my other stuff, and if I turn the angle correctly the rest fit quite well in the bumper. Some carry the entire hose in a plastic storage container, but I prefer the bumper with the proper covers on the end. I suspect you are new to travel trailer and haven't learned the ropes and techniques yet...
vonheise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just last week a member was complaining about his 4.5" bumper because he cannot find replacement bumper plugs.

I've had problems with the 4" bumper on our Micro Minnie. That material appears to be thinner than on our previous trailer making for a slight bigger inside dimension. The various plugs were loose fitting to the point we lost one on a trip. I finally wrapped some duct tape around the plugs which tightened them up and has kept them tight. Due to this one of my summer projects is to add some type of hose storage so I don't have to worry about losing a plug and hose.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
I've had problems with the 4" bumper on our Micro Minnie. That material appears to be thinner than on our previous trailer making for a slight bigger inside dimension. The various plugs were loose fitting to the point we lost one on a trip. I finally wrapped some duct tape around the plugs which tightened them up and has kept them tight. Due to this one of my summer projects is to add some type of hose storage so I don't have to worry about losing a plug and hose.
Two pieces of perforated metal, 2 hinges, screw hinges to metal N bumper, small safety clip in hole in bumper to lock shut; that solved my losing plugs issue + allowed air circulation to reduce interior of bumper rusting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonheise View Post
OK, I had a top of the line Fleetwood 5th wheel and guess what, it had a 4" bumper. I have the same hose and I keep the dump attachment with in the storage with my other stuff, and if I turn the angle correctly the rest fit quite well in the bumper. Some carry the entire hose in a plastic storage container, but I prefer the bumper with the proper covers on the end. I suspect you are new to travel trailer and haven't learned the ropes and techniques yet...
I’m definitely a newbie learning the ropes but my sewer hose will most assuredly not fit into my 4” bumper. The hose is an Alterra, maybe it’s different than others but I couldn’t get either end to fit into the bumper.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

One thing I hate about our new 1790 is the sewer pipe storage on the front of the frame will barely hold a 10 foot section of the Rhino hose - it holds the thinner stuff just fine.
I've been been looking on Amazon and found an expandable one that I may try out.
Currently I have hard plastic storage container in the front area that I place it in, but would much rather it be kept out of that location.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This hose will fit in your bumper. The problem might not be in your bumper but in your hose.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...mpaign=8175035
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My mistake, the hose is a Valterra Dominator, not Alterra. The ends appear to be very much identical to the Rhinoflex and others but who knows.

I solved the issue with twin 5” square pipes. They fit both of my hoses and the elbows with no problem.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I too had trouble storing the hose with fittings in our new Minnie and once in the bumper, it was a real struggle to get it back out.

But late yesterday I discovered there was a significant "lip" on the inside of two edges of the bumper. Apparently, the manufacturer uses some sort of slicing device to cut the bumper to length and it curled two of the inside edges inward. I filed the edges down and believe the problem is now solved.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

For my money the best solution is 5" pvc fence post. I have used this on 2 travel trailers and it is great. I purchased an 8' length plus 2 end caps from Home Depot in Jun 2011, painted all black with pvc paint placed it on top of my bumper and secured it with several UV resistant zip ties. Transferred after 2 years in 2013 to a new TT and again secured it with zip ties. I traded that TT in March of this year (for a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31K) and the fence post was still there still functioning. I was able to get a 20' and a 10' in the fence post with no problem. Easy solution and took may be 2 hours effort and the majority of that was the time it took to paint and let the paint dry.

For the new motor home I purchased a Valterra expandable pvc sewer hose container from Camping World and secured it to the underside of the motor home. You could use the Valterra for the TT and sucure it in the same manner to the top of the rear bumper.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote