Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Does anyone know where the fuses for the chassis suppplied trailer plug for a FCCC XC chassis (05 Journey) are located? I've lost brake and tail lights at the 7 way plug (verified using a Teknosha LED diagnostic adapter) but all lights work on the coach.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Does anyone know where the fuses for the chassis suppplied trailer plug for a FCCC XC chassis (05 Journey) are located? I've lost brake and tail lights at the 7 way plug (verified using a Teknosha LED diagnostic adapter) but all lights work on the coach.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jon, you may have only lost a gnd connection in plug or jack location. Take a meter an see if you can read voltage on pins to frame gnd some where on coach. If you can than jack maybe ok. Maybe gnd connection on plug to tow. Sorry read for gnd continuity, frame to gnd pin on jack first. Jack wiring is usually off same fuses as coach just tapped off same wiring. Wires in plug pull loose from screws because of constant pulling of plug. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm testing at the plug. All the leads have a common ground at the plug and if the turn signals work (on the Teknosha diagnositc plugin) then the ground is good.

To be sure there was a short on the toad side of the 12v and at least one of the brake lines. An in-line fuse blew on that side. When I replaced it still nothing so I went back up the line. I expected the coach chassis fuses would be blown. But those fuses are okay and the coach tail lamp and brake lights are fine. So there has to be an in-line fuse to the trailer plug.

The Winnebago electrical diagrams list the trailer plug as "chassis supplied" and provide no other details. I'll contact Freightliner tomorrow if someone doesn't have an answer in the meantime.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I found mine in the front end befind a door labeled fuses and relays. I think 10 amp mini fuse

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would have thought it to be in that box on the right in the chassis electrical bay too. But I could not find anything labled that was applicable. I pulled/checked all the fuses anyway and found them to all be good.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Same issue on my 05 Journey. See me seperate post. It is not a ground issue, I checked that. The 2 prongs for r/l stop/turn are DEAD. Everything else works.

Help please!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Figured it out.

After receiving a tip from a FCOC forum member I turned on the 4 way emergency flasher and walked the outside of the coach listening for the clicking of the flasher relay. This lead me to an area at the rear of the shoreline power bay. Sure enough, after removing a protective black sheet metal cover (6 Phillips screws) I found the engine ECU and two 4x4 fuse/relay blocks. The tail light and turn signal/brake circuits for the trailer plug are in the top block. The backup light circuit is in the bottom block. Most are 20 amp mini-fuses.

I then figured out the 12v "always on" feed comes directly off the chassis battery (yellow wires with 30 amp fuses to be found there).

Caveat, I can only be certain what I've stated above applies to a 05 Journey 34H. Other years/models/floorplans may be different. However, dealer service source says Winnie has placed these blocks in only one of four places in recent years. For DP's they are either located as described above or on the opposite side in the battery bay in a weatherproof sheet metal box. For gassers they are either in the bay beneath the driver seat or the bay underneath the passenger seat.

In any case I believe the sure fire way locate these elusive fuse blocks is to turn on a turn signal or 4 way emergency flashers and locate the clicking sound of the flasher relay. Most of the trailer connections will be found there.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I also lost a fuse and after 4 phone calls (Freightliner, Dealer, Winnebago) I found someone that could tell me correctly where the 7 way plug fuses are. It is behind the radiator grill. There are two screws on the bottom that must be removed and the radiator grill is hinged and swings up.

I'm not sure if the fuse is in the same place in a Journey as it is in a Vectra but I suspect it is. Or does the Journey have a rear radiator?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Only Cummins ISL/Evolution Chassis Vectra's and Horizon's are side radiator. All the others are rear radiator.

The side mounted radiator on your Vectra is where our engine A/C fans/condensor is located. The shoreline bay where the fuse/relay blocks are on the Journey/Meridian is just forwared of that location.

Overall it sounds like the fuse/relay blocks are within a few inches of being in the same place for both coaches just different access/orientation.