Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
doc
Winnebago Owner

I asked this question on that "other" forum and got no answer at all... but then they do not have the Winnebago owners forum either!
I need to pull an enclosed trailer with several motorcycles to South Dakota this coming summer using the MH.
As far as I know, the Horizon does not have a built in brake controller, but the large plug is on the rear that came from the factory. Is this thing pre-wired for same? i.e. plug the controller into existing wiring. How much trouble will it be to install a controller if this is not the case?
Basically, I guess I need info from someone who is towing a trailer with electic brakes behind the MH.
This is a 2000 Itasca Horizon on Freightliner chassis.
Thanks
doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
doc
Winnebago Owner

I asked this question on that "other" forum and got no answer at all... but then they do not have the Winnebago owners forum either!
I need to pull an enclosed trailer with several motorcycles to South Dakota this coming summer using the MH.
As far as I know, the Horizon does not have a built in brake controller, but the large plug is on the rear that came from the factory. Is this thing pre-wired for same? i.e. plug the controller into existing wiring. How much trouble will it be to install a controller if this is not the case?
Basically, I guess I need info from someone who is towing a trailer with electic brakes behind the MH.
Thanks
doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Doc, I had a Freightliner with a Fleetwood box and it was not prewired for the brake controller.

If you can read wire diagrams, go to

http://www.discoveryowners.com/freightlinerwiring.pdf

Good luck.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doc:
I need to pull an enclosed trailer with several motorcycles to South Dakota this coming summer using the MH. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc,

The eaiest way to eliminate the problem is - ride them bikes.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My 03 Horizon was not pre wired and of course its not an easy task to add a circut when everything is concealed in the basement. I found a brake controler that goes on the trailer and operates off the tow unit brake lights. A small box with an adjustable controler in it and works very well. The disadvantage is that you have to get out of the coach and walk back to the trailer to adjust the gain two or three times to get it set for your trailer & load. But once set, you don't have to change it unless you change the load. Works very well but does have a split second delay in response time, both on & off which I kind of like as then you can tell when they are working. Normal units come on at the same time and you can't feel them
and you don't really know if they are on. With this one you can feel the trailer brakes come on
and the differance they make in braking as they come on after the coach brakes and like I said only a fraction of a second delay. I got mine from a trailer dealer
(D&E Sales) in Ft Collins Co PH 970 493 2235 for $159.00. It installs in minutes, just plug the trailer into the control box & it into the coach and adjust. Done! It also allows you to pull the trailer with any other vehicle that may not have a controler. Have used mine for 4 years without a problem and no install fee.
They are available with 7 pin RV style plugs for the trailer connection which can be adapted if needed. The plug for the tow vehicle side is available with either the 4 pin flat connector, 6 pin round, or 7 pin RV style, you must specify or again use adaptors.
Hope this helps, good luck & Happy New Year!
Ace
P.S. I (do) have a financial interest in above
named trailer (none RV) deakership).
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Doc I had my 02 Journey set up at the dealer to pull an enclosed trailer with brakes. We changed the plug over to a 7 pin and they added a module to get the trailer brakes and brake lights working. Take a look a tekonsha brake controllers only 4 wires, 1 to bat, 1 to ground, 1 to brake switch, 1 to trailer.

They are not hard to set up.

Any other questions let me know.

Steve
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doc:
Thanks
doc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc, my 2004 Journey was prewired for the brake controller, wires were tucked under dash to left of brake pedal in the big trunk of wires(cb wiring was in the same trunk.

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Trailer Plug Fuses »