Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing with 2015 BMW X5, help?

So after talking to BMW Tech, I have been told that the X5 and in particular the Stealth hitch have been designed to operate without friction or a weight distribution hitch. There is integrated DST with the brake controller and harness from BMW that sends signals to the TT brakes accordingly.

The only caveat is that I do not have air suspension that is standard on the M series or X5s with the 3rd row seat option.

Soo... options I have seen are:

1. Use the WDH, but only use it partially (not locked on tightest link?).

2. Do not use the WDH and just use the DST on the vehicle as designed, but the TV might be sagging a bit in the rear because it does not have air suspension.

3. I have heard of placing air bags in the spring shocks and then pumping them up with ~30lbs of air prior to placing load on the TV hitch. This would even out the ride, but I have yet to see where to purchase this solution or even how to install it.

Thoughts on my particular situation? Anyone have experience towing with X5?
Boiler_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Team

I doubt anyone here has experience to answer your question. This is a unique and unusual tow vehicle. You’ll have more luck on an X5 specific forum. We drive BMWs but I’ve never seen an X5 tow anything bigger than a jet ski trailer.

It’s fine to ask here, but this is a BMW specific question that really has nothing to do with Winnebagos.

Here’s a thread on a bimmer forum that’s right on target for you

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1025679
Old 03-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Okay thank you, I will do that. Admins can delete my posts.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I posted this to your other thread.

Air bags only level the body and do not shift weight. If you are low in the back end air bags or not you have removed weight from the front steering axles. This can make for poor driving. I don't know about your SUV but I do know some do not recommend a WDH which is what you would need to move weight from the back end of the vehicle to the front and to the trailer axles.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

One other thing is if you are using a WDH with built in sway control most vehicle manufacturers recommend you turn off the vehicle's anti-sway so the two don't try to counter act each other or have the vehicle over compensate.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_Up View Post
Okay thank you, I will do that. Admins can delete my posts.
Hope that link helps. Seems others are towing large TTs with the X5 and invisahitch without issues. And they are using the WD hitches with anti-sway. Something I've never seen on the road. So, that's good to know.

We don't delete posts or threads, pretty much ever, the idea is to leave them for future users to learn from them. Even if it's to redirect them to help elsewhere.

PS. When we towed a TT all around the country we used a Husky Centerline WD hitch with sway control and LOVED it. It's not a super well known hitch but it's a great one.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We use the Center Line TS on our truck, and it works great compared to the old chain types we had to use last time we had a trailer (1990's).
Old 04-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Old Engineer: Per the BMW forum (link provided by Creative above) the X5 braking module is programmed to send signals to the TT brakes to prevent sway when it senses a connection via 7Pin. This is why they do NOT recommend a WDH and Friction sway bar as it negates that effort. (Seems reverse of the way we do things in USA correct? :P )

TD Perry: I am currently set up with the Reese, but if there is a better option that allows for tweaks to the amount of weight distributed then I would be interested.

I towed the Micro Minnie back from the dealership on Saturday. I did use a Reese WDH, and on friction bar, but only put two links worth latched (if I tried I could get three). The Prodigy Brake booster was not wanting to pair so I did not use it but plan on doing so.

I felt like there was little to no movement in the TV up to about 45 MPH. After that point, anytime I would go over a bridge or larger bump it felt like it was repeating the shock back and forth between the TV and the TT. Note that this was WITH a 50lb bike rack on the bumper of the 2100BH along with the spare tire. I would imagine that was the culprit, but since I have nothing to compare the ride to I cannot say. I will take it off and make another trip in a couple weeks to see the difference.

Smoother surfaces were fine even with side winds or people passing. Felt stable up to 65 and I did not go past that point. 60 is probably the sweet spot, but I have not been on a major Interstate to see how it would cruise.

Thanks for all the tips! I will look into factory OEM airbags being retrofitted and see the cost associated with it.

Uploaded a photo: As I was unhitching it, it started raining really hard so decided it was time for a beer Cheers to the Micros!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minnie.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	171325  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Update for anyone curious. I have since removed the WDH, and installed air bags in the springs of the X5. I pump the airbags up with a battery operated pump to 35lbs prior to placing the TT on the hitch. It pulls like a dream.

The Prodigy controller seems to need to be "re-calibrated" every time we pull, but other than that, I cant tell we are pulling anything! Longest trip so far was about 1 1/2 hour from our house and we averaged about 18 MPG. Normally I get about 32-35 MPG on the highway.

Updates to the 2019 2100BH:

1. Three of the windows have to be replaced under warranty (called Winnebago) for gaps (from 1/4" -1/2") in the screens. They claim that they cannot fix the gap since they manufacture the window as one complete unit. They can only replace.

2. Added a sewer hose tube behind the sewer outlet by drilling two small holes in the steel frame, using two existing holes, and using 8-75lb rated cable ties. I plan on putting wires in as backup in case the ties fail as I anticipate at some point they will from weathering. (and perhaps replacing on some frequency). Took about 20 minutes to install.

3. Installed a swing arm extension and a 24" LED/LCD smart TV. I can utilize all the features of the TV using my phones Hotspot (Amazon, DirectTV, HBO, etc.). Or if we plan well enough we camp at sites that have WiFi although I anticipate it being slower than my phone.

4. I cut and installed Gym mat flooring in the pass through. Protects floor, sound proofing a bit, insulation a bit, cheap..

5. We have a bunk bed in the back, but Winnebagos engineers decided it would be a great place to put the electronic Thermostat. Anyone with kids would understand that they are not the most observant warm blooded animals. My daughter constantly knees the thermostat and either dislodges the whole exterior or even worse changes the setting from cool to furnace unknowingly. Its really touchy and just takes a brush of her knee even to change temps. I installed a plastic safety cover that does not take any drilling. I will say it does not close COMPLETELY if you look closely, but its better than the alternative.

6. I will be installing doors in the dinette set storage like those that come on the 2020 models. DOH! One year too early..
Old 12-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2016 X5d but no rear air suspension.looking to do the same set up as you. What brand/model airbags did you use?
vc311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing