Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing 25ft micro Minnie dual axle vs single torsion axle?

I have a Rockwood GeoPro 16BH which I tow with a 2013 Acadia AWD with tow package. It is a single axle trailer about 18ft long with a torsion axle.

I’d like to upgrade to a 2306BHS which is about 25ft long and has two axles.

My estimates say that both tongue weights will be almost the same. The GeoPro is really tongue heavy.

Does anyone have related experience that says the dual axle trailer will tow better?

I think I have the WD dialed in pretty well, but the single axle trailer tends to porpoise a bit. We’ve gone up to heavier WD bars and that has helped somewhat. Also, at 75k miles, could it just be that the Acadia suspension is getting worn out?

Thanks
WannaWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Time for a new tow vehicle. Acadia max is 4000 lbs. I believe.
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Dry weights are useless for determining if you vehicle can safely tow a trailer. The typically only include the basic trailer with standard options and maybe one propane tank. Most people will carry at least a 1000 lbs over the dry weight once you add in battery, second LP tank, additional options and owner's stuff. With this in mind the Winnebago will be too heavy for your current vehicle both in loaded tongue weight and total trailer weight.

You mention porpoising on your current trailer. A dual axle trailer will tend to be more stable than a single axle however it could be the weight distributing hitch is not set up correctly, hitch height or too much weight. If you loaded the Rockwood to its maximum capacity you would have a tongue weight near to or over 500 lbs. Add in 100 lbs for the WDH then add the weight of any cargo and passengers. The total likely exceeds the maximum payload of the vehicle. If the excess weight tends to be over or behind the rear axle then the rear suspension can't dampen things adequately and porpoising can result.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, tow, towing