Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Speaker Wiring ?

Since the stereo has A, B, and C speaker buttons and only A & B are being used I'm looking to add a third pair of speakers over the bed under the shelf. I figured out where I want to mount the speakers and how to mount them. I have the wiring all scoped out too. However, how do I get the wires from the stereo to the bed area? I can easily use a small wire mold along the edge of the ceiling and I can even paint it to blend it in, but is there a better way to do it? Is it possible to run the wires over the ceiling? Is there a void above the ceiling paneling that would allow running the wires overhead? I don't mind to do things the more difficult way (I like the challenge, even though it can drive others around me crazy) but I don't want to tear up the camper either. Camper is a 2108 DS

I'd appreciate any help that I can get, thanks in advance!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Three thoughts:

1. It's probably pretty difficult, if not impossible to find an existing path through the ceiling between the two points.
2. Instead of wire mold, how about a nice wooden crown mold or the like? It would be much more attractive.
3. Personally, I'd probably route the wires down, underneath the trailer and back up into the bedroom, sealing all penetrations. You can protect the wire under the trailer with slip-on corrugated plastic protective tubing.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

With the curved roof I expect there to be a void due to the framing. While it might be filled with stuff I think you should be able to find a path with a metal fish tape. What I would do first is remove one of the existing ceiling speakers and use a mirror to see what it looks like from end to end.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you both for your help,

I ran wires for and installed reading lights by the head of the bed today and it gave me a little more insight for how the trailer is built. Now, I think that I have found a way to route the speaker wires. Since the bump out is raised it appears that I can run the wire under the platform without interfering with the slide operation. I can run the wires down inside of the bathroom wall, through the slideout's raised floor, into the storage space under the bed, up into the closet wall. Not an easy route at all, lots of fishing the wires through some tight spots, but it will work. From the raised platform to the under bed storage there is about an 18" space that will show, however if I add a small baseboard I can hide the wires there too! In fact there is no baseboard trim now so I may even add it all the way around (because of the cabinets etc. I'll only need a few feet of baseboard anyway).
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring