Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Reposition Propane Quick Connect? Battery Disconnect?

Our first outing went very well, everything worked!

A couple things are bothering me though.

First issue, the propane quick coupler for the grill is on the front of the trailer. I’d prefer it on the rear.
I have a manifold on the back that I assume is breaking the line to the water heater and furnace.
I’m thinking I can take loose one of the lines and screw in a tee, then screw the old and new lines into that. I’d have to come up with some kind of mount for the coupler.
Has anyone done this! I’d sure like to have some input.

Here is the rear manifold;

And here is the front quick coupler manifold.

This is basically what I want to do at the rear, but will probably just use a brass tee instead of another manifold. I called the manufacturer of the manifold and they don’t sell to the public. I’d prefer to avoid a dealer. I’d love to find one with mounting holes like these.

Another issue, or question is the battery switch. Is it normal to have several systems still active with the switch off? I’m not sure what all is still hot with it off but for sure the front jack/leveling system and both slides.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The battery switch does not turn of everything. You have to pull the cable off of install a large shut off switch.
As far as the grill goes, your picture does not show everything need for an exact answer. In general most grills if they can hook up to to the small 1lb bottles are high pressure grills. The fitting on the front must be between the bottle shut of valve and the pressure regulator to be a high pressure source. If it is after the regulator you will need a low pressure grill. (Not many low pressure grills around.)
https://www.campingworld.com/low-pre...rill?rrec=true

If you have a low pressure grill, a tee on the back would work.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I want to add a rear quick connector too. Etrailer has a fair amount of propane stuff. Here’s a quick connect set: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...52-401132.html

Is a standard backyard grill that hooks to a 20# bottle and has a regulator on the grill hose a high or low pressure grill?

I assumed low because of the regulator but realized I don’t know what the campers regulator nor the grill’s regulator is set at. I had planned to eventually remove the grill’s regulator and use the camper supply once I add the rear quick connect. We used the grill for the first time last weekend and just used a 20# bottle as I’ve not had time to investigate further what I need to do. But I also assumed I would add a T and a second quick connect. Pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB737051-3DE2-4F54-BF01-C123AC477D25.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	169924  
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, sorry should have added, it’s a low pressure Camp Chef grill.
I’ll probably just go with the brass tee and fab some kind of mount to add rigidity.

Hoping the access to the other end of the water heater hose isn’t too bad.

Like your setup RodneynDawnT!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The biggest benefit of a battery switch is to disconnect anything that might drain your batteries while in storage, such as propane alarms and anything with an on/off switch that could be left on (TV antenna pre-amp, water pump, radio, etc).

My former TT didn't have a battery switch and, when I added one, I left the tongue jack and my solar panels connected directly to the battery for convenience. I didn't have an electric leveling system. Neither of these systems is going to accidentally drain your batteries since their switches are momentary and are only on while you're pressing them.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Oh. I forgot to mention that my battery switch does not turn off everything either, presumably for the reasons mentioned. I discovered that Sunday.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Larry, I think that you should have no problem. The front quick coupler manifold on my unit did not have a rock guard, so I made one out of dimond plate. They quit installing these rock guards in 2016. Cost cutters.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Rodney: (Is a standard backyard grill that hooks to a 20# bottle and has a regulator on the grill hose a high or low pressure grill?)

answer: High pressure
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
Rodney: (Is a standard backyard grill that hooks to a 20# bottle and has a regulator on the grill hose a high or low pressure grill?)

Thanks.

Couple questions:
What pressure does the camper’s regulator put out?
What pressure does the regulator on a backyard grill put out?
So, I woud need to split off an unregulated line at my bottles, run it to the rear and leave the regulator on the grill (or move the grill regulator to where I split off at the bottles) right?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post

I may have gotten myself confused. But the little googling I’ve done when I can find specs on a backyard grill regulator, the pressure is 11” water column and what I found says that an rv regulator is 11” water column. So why isn’t a typical backyard grill low pressure?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W 69947 View Post
Larry, I think that you should have no problem. The front quick coupler manifold on my unit did not have a rock guard, so I made one out of dimond plate. They quit installing these rock guards in 2016. Cost cutters.
You know I was thinking that thing looks pretty vulnerable sticking out there. Any chance you can post a pic of the rock guard?

The battery switch not isolating the systems on momentary switches makes perfect sense, thanks!
Is it common practice to disconnect the battery between trips? I guess I’m just paranoid.....
I have no 110 power at the storage facility so a dead battery would be a major PITA.
Seems the jack having power would make theft a lot easier too.

Thanks so much everyone, great forum!!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

When I picked up my camper from storage last week the battery was too low for the jack to lift but an inch or two. I backed the truck as close as possible and plugged the camper trailer plug into the truck so I would have 12V to use the jack.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneynDawnT View Post
I may have gotten myself confused. But the little googling I’ve done when I can find specs on a backyard grill regulator, the pressure is 11” water column and what I found says that an rv regulator is 11” water column. So why isn’t a typical backyard grill low pressure?

The only difference that I can think of is since the grills run off their own tank they require the regulator. There might be some that need more or less pressure but I have no idea what models might. We use a Weber Q2200 running off the camper LP supply. All I did was remove the grill's regulator and buy a retrofit kit that had all of the fittings and a 12 ft gas hose. It has worked well so far.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys View Post
Is it common practice to disconnect the battery between trips? I guess I’m just paranoid.....

Not paranoia. Even with a deep cycle battery excessive discharge will greatly shorten its life. I use the battery disconnect whenever I get back from a trip. Every few weeks, maybe a month I hook it up to a battery charger to make sure it is at full charge. My charger came with two sets of cables. The typical spring clamp and an outdoor connector similar to a trailer 4-pin. I hooked the outdoor connector permanently to the battery so all I have to do is plug in when I want to charge. Of course I only do this when I know it isn't going to rain as the charger sits outside.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

It's always a good idea. I'll be installing 320 watts of solar panels on my Suncruiser 35U and, even then, will use my battery disconnect switch even though the solar panels will always be connected to the batteries.

Before buying a travel trailer, I'd been a sailboat owner and we always had a battery switch that disconnected everything but our multi-stage charger. The last thing we did before leaving the boat was to close all thru-hull valves and disconnect the batteries. i was very surprised to see that my TT didn't come with a battery switch. My first mod was to install one.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Finally got around to finishing the new propane quick coupler location. I put it in the right rear where the WH and furnace tee off.

Since it is behind the wheels I put the big honking steel gaurd in front of it. The other bracket I made up from aluminum just to make everything solid.

This allows me to put the grill at the rear of the awning, instead of the front, which should work out a little better space wise for me.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

That looks great!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

That guard looks like something off a military Humvee! Nice clean work.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Outstanding job, looks great.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I finally got around to seeing what I needed to do to add a rear quick connect to our camper. Well, in spite of the identical floor plans, our 2016 28rbds is plumbed somewhat differently than yours. There’s a 1/2” steel gas pipe running most of the way down my frame. Below, is a picture of my front quick connect, a picture of how the water heater and furnace is supplied propane and a diagram of the slight change I need to make for a rear quick connect.

It looks like I just need to replace the elbow with another T and add the quick connect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43FB5401-93D8-4D89-A42D-CEE3276E9AEE.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	170149   Click image for larger version

Name:	0398C45C-3B85-469D-BD89-83424F5A081A.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	170150  

Name:	868E07A1-9282-4F89-9EC3-B5C982D2DF63.jpg