Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
2020 1706FB Owner

Propane Quick Connect Outside

I know that most trailers have a propane quick connection just below the body of the trailer outside. This of course is for propane lights and especially stoves and grills. I have a question about it because I've always understood that quick connects are low pressure only. The alternative is to connect the grill directly to the propane tank or even use a separate tank. Our old Coleman tent trailer had a propane connection in the same place as these quick connections are found except it had to threaded connection and was meant for the high pressure stove. It also had a low pressure stove inside the trailer. The difference between the two was like comparing a blow torch to a candle. So, does it work the same way on modern trailers like the Winnebago? Has anyone noticed a difference in the flame 🔥 on an outside stove after using the quick connect and then connecting directly to the propane tank? We take delivery of our new trailer next week but we've already bought a new combined stove & grill for outside cooking. We will buy a different adapter for the propane stove and not take advantage of the convenience of the quick connection if my understanding is correct and it will reduce the heat output of the stove dramatically. All comments appreciated.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I run the grill in the picture. It’s just a 3 burner grill with a side burner, like you would buy at Lowe’s or Walmart. I just didn’t put the bottom part together, instead making a mounting bracket. It runs the same using a bottle or the camper supply. The camper supply is regulated (low pressure).

2016 28rbds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E903EF00-732B-4C89-A5EA-46CD5E28C6BE.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	171878  
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Glen 3, I have been using this Nexgrill for 4 years on 2 Different Winnebago Minnies, a 2101DS and a 2250DS. It has an external regulator for use with the 1 lb propane bottle or the 20/30 lb bottle. I never use it because the outlet on the Minnie is regulated down to about 4 lbs. Plenty of heat to cook anything I want.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
2020 1706FB Owner

Thanks I can see now that it does work. The next challenge is to find the right hose with the right connections. I went to several camping stores today and none of them had the adapters for a Coleman stove. I bought Coleman because I thought it would have the most accessories and the most common fittings. I was wrong. The one shop that had the best salesperson couldn't even help. He said he's going to try to get to the bottom of this because he even carried two Coleman hoses that didn't fit any of their stoves and grills. I did find one on the internet but it cost more than the stove. I can't believe how difficult the manufactures make this for people who want to use their products. I'll keep looking and maybe even try to get get the fitting from one of the better RV stores. I really don't want to have to buy those little propane bottles that only last a couple of days. That's a lot of waste.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is the hose you need.
Here is the fitting you need.
The rest of the fittings you need you will have to determine on your own. If the Coleman grill has a built in regulator (pressure reducer) it will have to be removed. You will have to make a connection where you removed the regulator to the fitting listed above. That is all there is to it. I realize that it will cost a few bucks but the investment is well worth it. Be sure to use to use Teflon tape on the threads of the fittings and use a little soapy water to check for leaks. When you complete the job then I would like some feedback. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask. Here is a photo of the fittings that I used. Yours may be different. Home Depot is a good place to look for the fittings you need.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
2020 1706FB Owner

Thank you very much. It may be a while but that looks like a good solution. Hopefully the local stores have the right fittings. I think I'll try and find the actual size for the stove and order the hose with it. It will be nice to have the convenience and I don't want to fill the landfill with throwaway canisters. I'll let you know when I get it to work unless I find an even better solution before I order it.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There are both low and high pressure quick disconnect systems. Typically the high pressure male end has a thicker sidewall than a low pressure fitting. They are not interchangeable. If you use a high pressure line make sure the hose and all fittings are properly rated. I have fitted our Minnie with both type of quick disconnects. Also if you use Teflon tape make sure it is rated for LP gas, the common white tape is not. I always use LP rated pipe compound instead of Teflon tape, far fewer problems with leaks. Just saying...
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
2020 1706FB Owner

Thank you that's good to know. I am assuming that the parts you listed above in your previous reply are all for low pressure lines as that is what most trailers come with. Since you mentioned that you have both, what do you use the high pressure line for and which one do you use more?

The liquid or paste sounds like a good idea rather than the tape.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #10
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

As an option rather than installing an external LPG jack on your unit you might want to consider simply purchasing a small five pound refillable LPG tank.
I seriously considered installing a high pressure jack on our 22M which would allow us to run our BBQ and stove without modifications, but opted instead to revalve a five pound LPG tank I had purchased two or three rvs ago. I simply fabricated a storage box for the tank and it doesn't take up too much space in our basement storage. I realize this is contrary to the thoughts this string is discussing but we felt that the options available by not modifying our BBQ and stove (taking able to take either away from the RV for a picnic) far outweigh the minor inconvenience of packing a refillable external tank.
No non-refillable tanks going to the landfill and you do not have the problem of draining off the gas from a long hose after you’ve finished cooking.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #11
2020 1706FB Owner

That's a valid point and it might come down to using the very small tanks. One problem it doesn't eliminate is the difficulty of guessing if there's enough propane left for the next cook session or should it be filled. That's the reason I've always had two propane tanks on my first RV. Once one ran out it was quick work to switch to the second and then I knew that it was time to have one tank filled.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

It should be noted that this setup only works on grills that have the regulator at the gas bottle, not on the grill. (Usually a two burner) If your grill has a regulator that also serves as on/off and flame height - it is time to buy a new grill. Amazon has 2 two burner grills that will work well - Pit Boss for $115 or a Giantix for $150.
I tried using the low pressure line to feed a single burner grill with an integrated regulator. It just doesn't work well. I disliked using the high pressure line on it, having had one spring a leak years ago. Made a nice torch until I could shut the gas off. Scary!
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #13
2020 1706FB Owner

Thanks but I have a stove already. We tried it out last week and it did a fine job of cooking some hamburgers. The regulator is not part of the flame �� control.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

teflon tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Here is the hose you need.
Here is the fitting you need.
The rest of the fittings you need you will have to determine on your own. If the Coleman grill has a built in regulator (pressure reducer) it will have to be removed. You will have to make a connection where you removed the regulator to the fitting listed above. That is all there is to it. I realize that it will cost a few bucks but the investment is well worth it. Be sure to use to use Teflon tape on the threads of the fittings and use a little soapy water to check for leaks. When you complete the job then I would like some feedback. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask. Here is a photo of the fittings that I used. Yours may be different. Home Depot is a good place to look for the fittings you need.
Teflon tape is not recommended on LP fittings
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
There’s a gas rated Teflon tape. It’s yellow in color and made for gas fittings.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

that is right. I use a quick connect in order to be able to hook a larger bottle to my Gen. that runs on propane. It was plumed by the generator company
Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Tape is often thought to be easy for the new person but it can also have some bad points. It is neat, in that one doesn't have to wipe his hands but it can be a real killer for those who are new to the deal. Using either tape or dope takes a little bit of thought.
For tape, the big problem for new users is often the way they wrap it on, It needs to wrap so that the tape is wound tighter as you screw the parts together as this avoids it unwrapping and wadding up. Second is to not use too much nor run it too far out to the end of the fitting which can let bits of tape get cut off by the threads and go downstream to plug up some tiny opening. Keep it back a thread or so from the end of any plumbing.
So the dope or pate is a bit more "messy" if you are worried about that but it doesn't take much experience to see how to swab enough on to just fill the thread grooves and it doesn't go down to block something.
I prefer messy without worry and wipe my hands when done!
Thoughts on using anything on a gas line are pretty simple if we take a look. Any appliance will work best at the pressure it is designed to use so if it has a regulator on it, don't connect it where the pressure is already coming through a regulator. Looking at many gas bottles on RV, we will see a reg, so connecting another reg inline with the first is not going to work as well. If we want to use the installed tank on the RV on something that has it's own reg, connect BEFORE the tank reg, not after or mod the appliance to not use a reg there. Basic idea is one reg from tank to use.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

good advise
Old 07-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
Not sure where you got this information but it is obviously wrong. This is the type of Teflon tape that you use with LP fittings. Read about it.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

referring to white teflon

Tags
propane, quick connect