Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
referring to white teflon
You never said white Teflon in your original post and that is why I replied.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I will have my wife beat me senseless for that oversight :-)
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
Sorry, I will have my wife beat me senseless for that oversight :-)
So while having her do that duty, please ask her to beat the rest of us as "teflon" tape is no longer made? Teflon is/ was the brand name of a product and they no longer make it!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

you got it
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

1, Insert a on/off valve before the quick disconnect connector.
Because of the variety of (male) LPG hose connectors, the valve will provide a means to turn things off if the wrong connector is ever inserted, or gets stuck or the quick disconnect fails.

2. Take a look at which side of the RV LPG regulator that the hose goes to, on the tank side of the regulator or down stream of the regulator to determine if it is hi or low pressure.
Some RV's have a high pressure connector so that an external LP bottle can be connected to the RV for extended stay, some have a low pressure connector to power grills, heaters, lamps etc Some have both.

3. The correct thread tape to use is Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), usually yellow in color, withstands high temperature, is available at Home Depot.

4. There are at least 3 different connector configurations, they are not interchangeable. Be sure to test with soapy water for leaks with the valve turned on. Camco has a kit with matching male and female connectors for low pressure part # CAM59853. Nice because it includes an on/off valve.

5. There is no reliable color code for connectors, some use black, blue or yellow. The colors have no meaning.

6. For maximum flexibility, I would install a hi pressure line, on/off valve and quick disconnect and get an external regulator with a quick disconnect fitting. This configuration would allow the line to be used for an external LPG bottle or an accessory item.

7. When using the above configuration be careful when removing an external LPG bottle, the supply line is under high pressure even after the on/off valve on the RV is in the "off" position. Turn off the RV valve first then turn off the valve on the bottle an unscrew the POL connector slowly, letting the pressure escape, then remove the quick disconnect fitting. Post a reminder note near the quick disconnect. Doing so may prevent a flying hose and connector.
Good Luck!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #26
2020 1706FB Owner

Thank you for your thorough response. There is a lot of wisdom on this forum.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I see several mentions in this thread saying to "install a high-pressure line," but what value is this advice when the RV's pressure is already controlled at the tanks by the stock regulator? Putting a high-pressure line downstream of the TT's factory regulator is unnecessary and provides no benefit unless you are bypassing that regulator, in which case you are providing high pressure to all the other appliances in the camper unless you install individual regulators on each one.
RADRick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRick1 View Post
I see several mentions in this thread saying to "install a high-pressure line," but what value is this advice when the RV's pressure is already controlled at the tanks by the stock regulator? Putting a high-pressure line downstream of the TT's factory regulator is unnecessary and provides no benefit unless you are bypassing that regulator, in which case you are providing high pressure to all the other appliances in the camper unless you install individual regulators on each one.
The mention for a high pressure line is when you tape the propane line between the tank and the regulator. In the high pressure segment. Some people do this to allow attachment of external propane tanks for added capacity or to run off the external tank when at home prepping the RV for a trip. I do that all the time.

Also some people want to use heating appliances that will not run at the stock propane pressure and need their own regulator.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I understand the reasons why someone would want a high-pressure line, but the suggestion was not made clear that it must go between the tank and the factory regulator. That's the issue I was having with it. Most people reading this would think you could simply add a high-pressure fitting somewhere along the existing gas line on the trailer and that is incorrect. And I would be hesitant to cut into the factory tank harness. Would make more sense for those with dual tanks to just use one tank with a regulator for the camper and the other with its own unregulated line for anything requiring high pressure.
RADRick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #30
blubugger

I have a similar 'challenge' ...I wanted to utilize the quick connect port on our 2106ds to connect Coleman or the Smoke Hollow stove that we have, great for tailgating, camping etc. So i did get adapter hoses for the Coleman (1" -20) disposable canister to to the quick connect and an adapter hose to go direct to the 20# propane tank.
The problem is that all Coleman stoves, as has been pointed out in other threads on this website, have a regulator. So they will only work on high pressure from either a small disposable can or the larger tank. Any effort to utilize the low pressure quick connect port is met with very low pressure and a very small flame (if any) in the stove. And all the Coleman fittings are proprietary and I have yet to find a simple on/off/adjustable valve (not with attached regulator) that would safely replace either stove's valve.
Camco has a valve designed for use on Olympian 5500 grills, would that be a safe alternative....at least for the Smoke Hollow? I think there was some discussion about this in yet other posts and they were not in the affirmative.
Suffice to say, use a 12' adapter hose direct to the propane tank and to the Coleman stove to replace the disposable tanks is the only alternative for the Coleman equipment.
So, we continue to look. Good luck.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #31
2020 1706FB Owner

I've been increasingly leaning towards wearing out the Coleman stove (which apparently doesn't take very long) and buying an outdoor stove that sells the ready made cable for the quick connect. Coleman isn't worth this much hassle.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if this is a solution or helpful but check out Harbor Freight Model 91899 "Propane Torch with 3 Burners". In the kit there is a 4' hi pressure hose (350 lbs working pressure) with Coleman Cylinder connector with integrated valve at one end and a 3/8" pipe thread at the other end, attached to the torch.

Looks like the torch end could connect to a quick disconnect fitting directly or w adapters.

With discount coupons and the upcoming Memorial Day Super Sale, the torch can be had for about $24, a whole bunch less that the component parts and pieces.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #33
2020 1706FB Owner

That sounds like it's worth looking into. Thanks.

Tags
propane, quick connect