Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Propane grill storage

Hi All

Do any of you have suggestions for stoweing a propane grill during travel? I am a bit concerned about all our bedding smelling like the grill. I have a 1700bh towing with a 2016 Honda Pilot...so truck bed storage is not an option. It will need to be stored either in the trailer or the back of the SUV. I have a cover for the grill....but I don't think that will be enoigh to contain the grill odors. I am thinking maybe covering it with a large black contractor trash bag and bungee cords. Do any of you have experience with this issue? Thanks in advance!
winniewander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

i have a zipper bag for my Weber Q with wheels and a handle. i think I got it at CW.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not a big BBQ fan myself, I have seen people use those big bike mounts for garages hanging from their RVs roof ladders and the BBQ is cradled in between the arms. Usually there are bungee cords in place too. I've never really looked that close, but in my travels, I've seen BBQs hanging from the ladders several times.

The round Webbers with the tripod stand with wheels seems the most popular for that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The black contractors' trash bags sound like your best solution.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have a Weber Q 2200. I stow mine in the basement and haven't had any odor issues so far. I burn/clean the grates and make sure to replace the drip pan before putting it away. I've also run some silicone sealant around the bed platform to stop cold air infiltration but I expect this should stop any odors from below as well. If we ever do get any smells I would likely get a waterproof canvas bag to pack it up in.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
I have a Weber Q 2200. I stow mine in the basement and haven't had any odor issues so far. I burn/clean the grates and make sure to replace the drip pan before putting it away. I've also run some silicone sealant around the bed platform to stop cold air infiltration but I expect this should stop any odors from below as well. If we ever do get any smells I would likely get a waterproof canvas bag to pack it up in.
Pretty much the same here. I always clean the grates and drip pan. Every couple of months I clean the whole interior of it. Ours sits in the storage bay directly below our couch and no odor yet.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I went to walmart a brought a plastic tote with a locking lid that my grill would just fit in. It makes for easier storing.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When you say propane grill I assume you're talking about the ones you use on the deck at home, like Char Broil/Weber etc, that have permanent legs. Look into using Camp Chef cooking stoves, the legs collapse and fold up and come with some really cool accessories. I fold it all up into a 38" long, 15 inch wide and 16 inches deep that comes with a canvas bag. I then place it in a construction grade black trash bag and store in my Winnebago 24J View cargo hold, no smells never dirty. Here's the link to CampChef

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...g-systems.html
JustFwed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, storage