Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2108DS owner, off grid power question

Greetings! I take possession of my new Micro 2108DS next week. This unit is a step up from my older palomini. I'm having the dealer remove the solar panel from my old trailer and install it on my new Winnebago along with 2 6v batteries. In my old trailer I had 12v accessory ports and USB ports to plug all my electronics into, including a 12v TV/DVD player that allowed me off grid entertainment. In the new Micro's are there any accessory ports that will allow me off grid power? If there isn't, has anybody ran anything themselves?

Thanks for any future help,

D
Heli911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli911 View Post
Greetings! I take possession of my new Micro 2108DS next week. This unit is a step up from my older palomini. I'm having the dealer remove the solar panel from my old trailer and install it on my new Winnebago along with 2 6v batteries. In my old trailer I had 12v accessory ports and USB ports to plug all my electronics into, including a 12v TV/DVD player that allowed me off grid entertainment. In the new Micro's are there any accessory ports that will allow me off grid power? If there isn't, has anybody ran anything themselves?

Thanks for any future help,

D

Our 2106FBS has USB ports near the bed and over the sink area but no 12V ports.

Due to the typical shortage of AC outlets where you want them I tapped into the 12V supply for the entertainment center to power a Bluray player. In order to minimize battery drain I added an automotive rocker switch as well. It worked well for us as the TV and entertainment center are all on the same wall and it let me utilize existing wiring and pass-thru holes.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So what I did was I had the antenna booster removed and replaced with another booster that had a 12v accessory port. Now I can run a smaller 12v TV when I'm off grid.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I added several 12 volt/USB ports here and there around our Minnie Winnie, even one in the rear basement (just in case). Not hard at all to do, just know how basic auto electric power works.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Couple things you should know about today’s TVs & ‘builtin’ USB chargers... they all pull current even when tv is turned off or nothing is plugged into the USB. While not as much a load as when tv on or your cellphone plugged in/ charging. Also each USB that is left powered (12v or 120ac) generates a bit of RFI noise. Some brands this can be much higher levels. This RF hash can cause interference to cell and TV reception if you are already in low signal area. The more ‘idle’ usb that are left powered the more the unwanted RF background interference you’re generating. As a result, most of us RVers who are hams (with sensitive radio equipment) either install a switch do we can kill the power to un-used usb chargers or we install just the older 12v cigarette lighter 12v sockets that allow us to inset a usb only when needed... otherwise pulled out enough to kill the power to it. (Not exactly on topic, but most inverter’s/ chargers and many LED interior lights also produce high amounts of RFI hash. While there are times you need the inverter’s 120v and battery charging... if you are having issues getting cell signal inside RV.. try turning off unneeded LED lights and the inverter/ charger... the reduced RF noise floor just might improve the cell signal enough the make the call.)
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power