Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2106DS

We’re signing paperwork this week for the 2106DS(dry weight 3780 lbs).... so excited, and yet so nervous. It’ll be our 1st TT. We’re hoping to pull it w/a 2018 Toyota Highlander SE (max towing 5000 lbs) and know we’ll have to be VERY careful with extra weight. Anyone have experience with this?
CatnHubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Get a good equalizer hitch...
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2019 2106DS pulled w/2018 Toyota Highlander SE

Yeppers- we’ve got the R3 hitch. Any other advice?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I hope your dealer gave you a thorough indoctrination on your trailer's specifics. Take note that I have a 2018 2106DS Micro Minnie and just found out that the information I had on how to manually move the slide out in case of an electrical failure was totally wrong. Prior to the 2018 model year this trailer used a ratchet to move the slide out in or out of the trailer itself. For 2018 there was a change that I just learned about, The newer units which have a twin motor controller instead of the single motor controller have to have the two electrical motors pulled upwards so that the gears on the motors no longer mesh with the gears for the mechanism. Also the motors must have their electrical connections removed as well. Then the unit can manually be pushed into the trailer. This was certainly news to me. I would assume the 2106FBS unit which has also has the smaller slide out is the same. I will be making an appointment to have my dealer show me exactly how to move the motors, etc before my next road trip.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

TrailerDon...... thanks for the excellent tip! We added this to our list of things to ask at orientation
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When I picked up my new Micro Minnie from the dealer the entire orientation was about half an hour and I was advised any more question just ask (the dealer) I did have a few other questions and when contacted the dealer suggested I contact Winnebago directly. Winnebago has answered questions submitted to them but I actually got more information from the forums and Youtube. Even Winnebago techs gave answers that were not correct, That is as there are just so many models and changes they often are not sure. My son just recently bought a travel trailer, he advised me that he was told the orientation will take about three hours.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Cool Orientation and help from dealer

TrailerDon...... our orientation(tomorrow) will be about 2 hours long we’ve been told. The dealer sent an email about prepping for orientation, it contained a link to the informational videos they provide for new owners.....there’s SO many! (Like 30; I didn’t really count) We watched a couple and figure this will be a great resource when we have questions about our unit.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Check everything, especially things "water related". Mine had a loose fitting on water pump and leaked.
Besides that great coach, go watch the youtub videos on these tonight, so you have an idea what they will explain.
Larry2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
blubugger

Micros 2106ds: also, I have seen some info about things dropped or falling behind the Murphy bed and the difficulty of retrieving them. The murphy bed mechanism [one shock on each side and three hinges] are a simple setup. There is a panel on each side inside of the forward pass-through storage for access to the plenum. When the bed is up, this provides the clearance for the head-board area of the mattress. So, if you need to retrieve an object, remove one or both of these access panels to fish the object out. I found that the drivers side panel is the easiest [2 screws]. A word though: if the object is large, and has dropped behind, do not lift the bed up. This could damage the object and more importantly, the bed mechanism. Remove the left panel and retrieve the object.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Murphy bed problems

Thanks for that tip on retrieving items from under the head of the bed. I’d heard of this happening, and w/grandkids coming along I’ll probably need this info.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

2106DS under oven storage?

I’m pretty sure I saw a 2106DS at the dealership that had a bit of storage under the oven, behind a cabinet door. It was not a lot, but sure would be useful. Our unit just has a panel screwed on under the oven, behind which is wiring, hoses, and maybe something else. There is space to create a little storage, and the Hubs has figured out how, but I’d need a cabinet door. Tips for getting one to match my units cabinetry? Wonder how much heat goes down there when the oven is in use?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatnHubs View Post
I’m pretty sure I saw a 2106DS at the dealership that had a bit of storage under the oven, behind a cabinet door. It was not a lot, but sure would be useful. Our unit just has a panel screwed on under the oven, behind which is wiring, hoses, and maybe something else. There is space to create a little storage, and the Hubs has figured out how, but I’d need a cabinet door. Tips for getting one to match my units cabinetry? Wonder how much heat goes down there when the oven is in use?
My 2108DS has the door under the stove. Perfect size for the liquor cabinet!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Y.... Any other advice?
I strongly recommend a surge suppressor/energy management system. We have the hardwired Progressive Industries 30A unit with remote readout. It saved our bacon at least once with our former trailer (campground had hot and neutral swapped on the shore power post). It was well worth its cost (under $300) which is why I put another on our new Minnie Winnie.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2108DS View Post
Check everything, especially things "water related". Mine had a loose fitting on water pump and leaked.
Besides that great coach, go watch the youtub videos on these tonight, so you have an idea what they will explain.
2018 2106ds: we experienced the same loose water connections and filter housing at the water pump. We noticed water on the floorboards, but caught it quickly, tightened and checked all fittings, dried everything out and merrily proceeded down camping lane [late last summer].
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
We’re signing paperwork this week for the 2106DS(dry weight 3780 lbs).... so excited, and yet so nervous. It’ll be our 1st TT. We’re hoping to pull it w/a 2018 Toyota Highlander SE (max towing 5000 lbs) and know we’ll have to be VERY careful with extra weight. Anyone have experience with this?
We just got a 2106ds as well and I tow with a 2019 Audi Q7. Not sure if its the dual axles but it really tows smooth and easy with not any sway. Only thing I noticed is its a little bouncy but I just got a hitch scale so I am going to see if I am too light on the hitch because its new and completely empty.
maksiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
2018 2106ds: we experienced the same loose water connections and filter housing at the water pump. We noticed water on the floorboards, but caught it quickly, tightened and checked all fittings, dried everything out and merrily proceeded down camping lane [late last summer].

Had same problem with my 2106DS, loose fittings connecting the water pump, simply to cure, somewhat awkward/difficult to reach.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

My 2018 2106DS has the storage area and door under the oven. Not much of an area, but then every bit of storage helps.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I hope your trips will not be through mountain passes and not up any steep inclined highways. I think you are pretty well at your max with the empty trailer.

I have a 2106DS which I towed with a Colorado with the V6 option and factory towing trailer package. That truck is rated to tow 7,000 lbs. Year one with the trailer short distance travel mainly, only a few steep hills and the truck seemed to handle the trailer, however, year two I drove long distance through the Rockies and discovered that the truck really had to strain to even try to keep up to the speed limit. On some longer inclines I could not even reach the speed limit, a few times the truck misfired. Then had a major problem and part of the fuel injection assembly needed replacement. Then read about others towing with the same truck. The diesel version seems to do fine but the V6 in the Colorado is not a good tow vehicle. I upgraded from the Colorado to a full size Chev with the 5,3 V8 and factory trailer package. No problems since.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerDon View Post
I hope your trips will not be through mountain passes and not up any steep inclined highways. I think you are pretty well at your max with the empty trailer.

I have a 2106DS which I towed with a Colorado with the V6 option and factory towing trailer package. That truck is rated to tow 7,000 lbs. .
Tow ratings are pretty bogus, IMHO, but usually the wrong way! They indicate you can tow more than you should. But looking at the Colorado/Canyon you could take either the V6 or the 2.8 Duramax and the tow rating would drop from 7,000 or 7,600 respectively, to something like 5,000 if you had the ZR2 suspension. That would be entirely due to the suspension differences, not the engine/transmission limitations. If very well may be that the Toyota at issue is similarly limited to 5,000.

I link to this site a lot, but I would look at more than just the limitation of the max tow rating. This site will let you do that. My 2.8 Duramax is pretty close to maxed out with the 2106DS with me and my wife in the cab.

TowCalculator.com
Old 05-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

One other thing I would add. I would check out both of these older Ike Gauntlet tests for the Tacoma. The second is an "extreme" Ike Gauntlet of max tow rating. I haven't watched either, but the extreme test they did on the new Jeep Gladiator was like watching engine torture. I wouldn't do that to a rental!