Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 1808 quality problems

I thought it would benefit the community, and Winnebago, if I posted the quality issues I've experienced on my new trailer.

1. The exterior door would hit the door frame and could not close due to this interference. Was repaired under warranty so the door closes with frame friction so not quite right but good enough that I can work it closed with force. My girlfriend isn't strong enough to close the door, but she can open it.

2. The microwave fell out of its mount on my first drive. I was driving like a grandma on valium. I bought larger sheet metal screws and installed them with a drop of silicon to help withstand vibration.

3. The storage hatch on the door-side has leaked water from well before I bought the trailer and the basement floor is bloated and warped. No repairs have been attempted yet but I must use a cover when the trailer is not in use.

4. The water lines under the bathroom sink leaked so badly I could watch the stream of water flowing across the floor. Fixed under warranty.

5. The water lines at the water heater leak slowly, I replaced the PEX connections and wiped a bit of silicon into place for peace of mind. Skipped the warranty service this time.

6. The dining room blind was crushed during delivery. I'm just letting this slide. Looks like it's well used.

7. The 15000btu AC trips my 20amp 120V service on my driveway and won't reliably start with my stupidly-expensive Honda EU3000is.

8. The built-in battery charger does not work if the batteries have been run down. Even when a generator is connected, which is when you'd expect the batteries to start charging. So of course this happens during a 12 day boondock leaving me with no 12V unless the generator is running. I've left the garbage charging electronics in place and have added a very good solar charge controller and panel array that will ressurect the batteries. Bad component choice by Winnebago.

9. There's a water leak in the bathroom wall for some reason, and the faux wood is bloating.

10. Wood trim pieces have fallen off near the ceiling over the dinette and also off the benches which were not assembled correctly. The nail gun that was used to install the trim was driving the nails completely through the trim so all that holds my wood trim in place is some wimpy glue. I expect to fix every trim piece at some point.

11. DC wiring was loose, so when the water pump ran all the lights would flicker. I tightened every DC connection and that resolved the flickering problem.

I do have great things to say about the trailer though: The heater and kitchen are awesome. The TV is great. I have no idea why there's a DVD player but no Bluray in 2019... Whatever. The light wood color scheme and faux marble counter tops are fantastic. It tows very well with my F150 and draws lots of compliments. The offroad package kicks ass. The stainless sinks are nice. The hot water heater is fantastic. It's great having four brakes on two axles for fire road use. More trailer braking = more better.
skisurfbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, quality