Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need information on satelight hookup on 2455 bh

I am looking at getting a satelight dish for my 2455 bs. It says that it is pre wired for a dish. Anyone installed one on there. Is it easy or hard.
Thanks for any info
TOMTOM18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Tom do you already have home satellite service with Dish Network or DirecTV?
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Direct tv
Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a portable DirecTV system that I have used a lot where the over the air TV was not what I wanted. I take my receiver and power supply with me when we go camping. I don't know if this the type of system you want of one of the automatic systems. Yes our campers are wired for satellite with a connector on the outside of the Minnie. There is a satellite coax connector close to the TV beside the coax connector for antenna/cable. My system.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I know there is a place on the outside on my camper that says satelight. Is that where I would plug it in. Also the spot under my tv there is a place for satelight cable next to the push button amplifier for tv. Is the outside connected to that plug
Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In this photo from left to right under the shelf above the TV you will see a power plug, TV antenna connector, and satellite connector. The power inserter is on this shelf. The 2 cables to the left hanging down are the HDMI cable for the receiver and the coax cable from the power inserter to the receiver input.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sat/Cable 2017 2455 BHS

Greetings all. I have the New King Dish Dual output, for my 2017 2455 BHS. I have had Amazing service with Dish and my hardware. I also have two Wally boxes w/ remotes. Dish or Direct TV, it is your choice.

Now First factor for me was, I am a FT'er. Secondly (its a personal choice) I did not want a Roof mount or pole in the ground. So I just set the small Dome King Dish Antenna, on top of my Propane cover, and Bungee corded it down. Works Great for install when not moving. (PS I live in a very busy and safe RV park-No crime)

Moving on to helping you, Under the TV, in the lower Entertainment Center Cabinet (as shared by By others) From Right to Left, you will have:
1) A power outlet.

2) A Male connector with a Power amplifier button. This is to run a short cable to your TV antenna Input. Most Modern TV's only have one male, screw in input. (Power amplifier on when using the King Jack Roof antenna for local channels--- Power amplifier off when using Park cable).

3) Last, on the far left, you will have an addition Male cable outlet. That is where you run a short cable to the "Sat input, on your Satellite TV Box. Then you run an HDMI Cable, from your Satellite box, to your TV HDMI input (which you should have 2-4 HDMI inputs on your TV). My Wally remote controls my TV and My Sat box, so I was able to put my TV remote away.

Now, I went into my TV setting, and labeled my inputs to help (TV Antenna, Apple TV, Satellite, DVD), you get the point.

Now Outside, You are on Correct with inputs, by the Outside shower and all the water inputs, you should have a Sat in and Cable in. On the entrance side you have a backer Location for mounting a TV (I use a table to sit my 2nd TV on) and you have a power outlet. Also you will have 1 Male cable connection.

Base on what Dish Network Tech Support told me, you have two options to get Satellite to work on a 2nd TV outside like this.

1) Run a Video out, from your Inside TV to the 2nd TV. Keep in mind, if its not HDMI, your 2nd TV's resolution will be bad.

2) Get a 2nd Box & Remore (which I did- $79.00) and when using outside TV, run a separate cable Directly for the Dual output Satellite antenna, to the 2nd Satellite box in. Now repeat again: run a short HDMI from the 2nd Satellite box to your 2nd TV's desired HDMI input. This allow a HD signal and you wont be "Mirroring" the inside signal.

Pros and cons? Well a 2nd box at $79, a few extra cables.... Ummm BUT, when you do this way (hence a Dual antenna) if your outside or in a different Room and kids or the wife wanna watch something and you want the Game, you have that ability!

For me I had lots of HDMI cables, after selling my condo, so their was no cables cost. Also, when you get a 2nd Sat Box, it will come with another 50 foot cables & Remote. Decent HDMI cables are not big money on Amazon etc... So I say " if you Ever, ever will use two TV, this is the way to go. IF you will only cross this situation 1-3 times a year, save a few hundred and just take your indoor set up outside. Personal Choice.

Hope you get your Satellite going soon. Happy Camping!

PS, the wally boxes work with the remote through walls or cabinet doors, so you can hide the box and it still changes channels and all. Also I Purchased the equipment out right. So I do the pay as you go. You do not pay for service on the 2nd box, unless you activate it $7 a month. You do not pay for anything, unless you activate it. Very easy to manage on their site. I paid $560 my Bundle, with a 3 year warranty, on spills and drops for the boxes and Remotes. PM me if you need any other help!!
RR_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Site Team

RRMike, did the folks at Dish mention to you that while the two TVs can watch different channels they must be on the same Satellite? So, yes, you can watch the game on one TV but the only channels the other TV’s receiver can tune into must be on the same Satellite as the channel the game is on.

If you’re watching the game on the 2nd TV and the 1st TV is the main/master TV in the setup any one changing a channel on the main TV can make it impossible for you to stay on the game channel.

The 1st receiver is the master and the satellite it’s on determines the channels available on the 2nd receiver.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I was told (have not tried it yet), that with the Dual King antenna, and two wally boxes, that I can watch two separate programs as the antenna has the ability to display two separate things, as long as I have two boxes and two separate coaxial, etc,,,,, that a Dual antenna and two separate Sat boxes can let u enjoy two different channels?

If I am mistaken on this section of my reply, I will appreciate any advanced experience/education you have. I have never activated the 2nd box yet, as I just wanted to "Future Proof", as my Grandson is 1-1/2 and will wanna watch Mickey. Please advise, as ifam I incorrect on that one part of my reply?

Humbly, Railroad-Mike, a 14 Month young, RV'er.\

Maybe I said it wrong, but yes I am told that using the Dual output Dish Tailgater Pro and two boxes, a person can watch Disney inside and Football outside. Again I have not done it yet, but it it what I was told today (I called Dish just now) was correct. Again One Satellite, two boxes, and To separate remotes = what your use to at Home with Cable service.

Happy Holiday weekend to ALL!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Site Team

All I can be sure of is that I have had both a Winegard Carryout (the large one that runs on a separate 12v connection) with dual SAT output and a Winegard Playmaker Dual, the smaller one that's self-powered, with two SAT outputs. And both of them could supply signal to two receivers and those receivers could watch different programming at the same time - AS LONG AS the two different programs were on the same satellite.

So, If I'm watching HGTV on satelliet 110 my wife could watch any other channel as long as it was on satellite 110. If the channel she wanted to watch was on satellite 119 then she was out of luck.

As you go through the channels on Dish network they move between the two satellites almost per channel - one channel on 110 the next on 119 and the next on 110. It's not perfectly like that, but is so in some areas.

Here's the thing. Look at a "home" Sat Dish. It's very large and oval shaped and has 2 or three LNBs aimed at the dish. You set up the dish so that it points between satellites. And the multiple LNBs pick up different SATs at the same time. For Dish 110,119 and 129.

As you move through the channels the receiver just grabs the programming from any one of those SATS.

The small dome rooftop-style dishes are much smaller and perfectly round and have one LNB. When you set up the dish (automatically) it locks on to one SAT and remembers that location, then it locks on to another SAT and remembers that location. As you go through the channels then the receiver calls for the programming and the little round dish physically moves from one SAT to the next as needed. You'll hear it move... zzzz and stop and then zzzz and stop.

So, that's why it can't watch to different channels at the same time from different SATs.

Here's the receiver set up for Winegard:

Quote:
Operation of Secondary Receiver
When using a secondary receiver with the DISH Playmaker antenna, the secondary receiver does not have the full function of the primary receiver. The primary receiver will determine which satellite is viewed, and the secondary receiver will need to be set up for that satellite. If the primary receiver changes to a channel on a different satellite, the secondary receiver will lose reception and need to complete setup again on the new satellite.
I can't find a "Dual King" listed on the King SAT Dish website, but on all their small dish automatic antennas that say they have two receiver outlets have this listed in the feature set:

Quote:
Supports multiple TV viewing (requires 2 receivers; programming must be on the same satellite)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well Explained! I do know that this Sat Receiver reaches both the east and west coast Main Sat. So what you say makes 100% sense.

Great Conversation and sharing for the initial topic and things to Ponder on when making your decisions, to satisfy your RV-TV needs!

I have Enjoyed sharing and learning,with you, Creativepart.

Happy Thanks Giving from RR_Mike. I will test that one day soon :-)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Site Team

One thing I forgot to mention... you should realize that running two receivers means you must run two separate cables from the Dish to the receivers. Most RVs have one coax running between TVs (many motorbikes are wired for separate receivers). You can’t run two receivers off of one coax.

A solution to all of these issues is to buy another dish just for the 2nd TV. Or buy a full-size dish to mount on a tripod and manually point it. Especially if you are staying in one place for extended periods.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Right. I will just run the outside TV, coaxial wire, on the ground for the day-directly from the Sat to the Sat box. I would not even go through the RV. I will in time, secure that wire in weather proof Boxes at the Tongue and run it under my unit to the site of the Cable connection, where the TV backer and outside power outlet is Located. Then I will just have two 3 foot coaxial cables to hook up, to feed my second signal to the Outside TV. So it will be permanent but not "IN the RV".

I am curious about the Chanel's now.... Good info on that. I agree in that if your watching your team, then a person will be limited to other stations coming from the same "Beam".

I am gonna start a new topic in a bit, about something, talk soon all. RR_Mike
Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Anybody using a Winegard T-4 on the go?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light