Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie 2500 RL Owners?

Picking our new (2018) Minnie 2500 RL up Friday. How do you like yours and do you have any suggestions, issues, upgrades. etc...?
We're newbies to the hardside rv world.
Critters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We looked at the 2500RL but instead recently bought a 2500FL. We added a towel bar (IKEA 604.267.07), full length mirror (on the inside of the bathroom door; the mirror on the medicine cabinet is too high for the DW), Progressive Industries EMS (the EMS saved our bacon on our former TT; the shore power had hot and neutral swapped), and two MaxxAir roof vent covers (we don't have to worry about shutting the roof vents if it starts raining).
Old 03-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

SummitPond,
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know we're not the only minnie owners out there.
We have many upgrades that we did before taking our first trip. We're new owners and this is our first fully hardside trailer after camping in a pop up tent trailer 30 yrs ago.
Besides all the basic gizmos needed for the trailer (we got the Progressive EMS protector), Amazon has been our best friend. Over the door towel holder ( I'm trying not to drill holes), Command Strip hand towel hander in polished nickel, I bought polished nickel hangers that I put on the BR and outside bathroom doors, bought cheap carpet and laid in the cargo holds, vent pillows to keep the outside air out, Maxxair vents, and. a Roku to keep in the trailer. One thing I have found out is that there is cold air, soon to be warm air, coming in by the sofa in the back. It is next to the small cargo hold... No insulation in that area. I think I'll try and get some type of foam block insulation and put in the cargo walls.
Absolutely enjoyed our first trip out and the trailer did well. More insulation would improve greatly but we also bought a tower ceramic heater that we ran instead of the furnace. It did very well in the 35°nights.
Enjoy your adventures and keep us posted on how your minnie is doing.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Critters

I didn't think to mention the vent pillows; we brought those over from our previous TT. Ditto for the ceramic heater. Not only do the vent pillows do a good job of cutting down on drafts, but it makes the TT darker so we can sleep better. I am still wondering about the "lightness" of the window shades; the DW is bothered by light at night and early morning, so we'll see if she makes some room-darkening shades.

The carpet in the pass-through is a good idea, as is the insulation. I have thought about the latter, but will see how things go with our travels this spring in the possibly frozen northern climes. Our bed was also above the pass-through in the old TT and we didn't have any draft issues (we also had a "laundry chute" adjacent to the bed that went into the pass-through). I have noted factory-applied caulking (looks like clear silicon) on many interior joints, but not all. I'm not sure why it was applied in some places and not others; our old TT did not have inside caulking at all.

Our maiden voyage is another two weeks off. I do not know what the weather will be like then, but certainly more clement than what is experienced by those further north.

Happy trails.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The light colored shades in the BR did pose a problem at night. A good silhouette of the person inside can be seen from the outside when a light is on. Dark shades or a portable curtain is gonna be a must.

We bought a pop up mesh laundry bag at Wal-Mart that will collapse to half its size and fits perfect in the corner of the BR. Also got a Command Strip broom holder behind the BR door. It stays hidden until you close the door.

Living and camping in Texas, I want to look at a portable AC unit that will supplement the TT AC unit. I'm not wholly convinced that even the larger 15K BTU unit is going to be enough.

Two things we did experience was that the smoke alarm has to be disabled when frying bacon and we experiences window and vent condensation with the cold air outside and the warm inside. I have since bought some Damp-Rid (?) containers and placed them in each room. This is a learning curve with us since we never owned a hardside TT before. Post up and let me know how your trip goes. We take our second trip the middle of April to the lake, a State Park in May, and another State Park in July.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critters View Post
... Two things we did experience was that the smoke alarm has to be disabled when frying bacon and we experiences window and vent condensation with the cold air outside and the warm inside. ...
Critters

Maiden voyage completed. Overall things went very well. We are quite pleased, but as with any unit there is a learning curve. The darned Jensen music system is driving me nuts - it doesn't play multi-folder mp3 disks all the way through consistently, and it turns on the television each time it is powered up. I going to see about downloading the manual to see if further instructions are there as the summary sheet is quite confusing to me and thus barely useful.

Our temperature swings were from the 40s to the 70s on this trip; heat at night and open windows during the day. We didn't have a condensation issue this time, but we occasionally did in our former rig. The furnace is substantially quieter than our former TT; I was concerned that it might not be able to keep up as it doesn't put out as many BTUs as the one in our former (smaller) TT. It seemed to do OK for the temperatures we experienced; not sure if it will need supplemental electric heat for colder climes. The air conditioner (which we only tried out so far during the PDI) is also substantially quieter than what was in our prior unit. We did have challenges with "keeping our cool" - it was also a 15K unit, but the box was smaller. I suspect you are correct in wanting some extra cooling capacity.

The DW is still figuring out where to put stuff. We have more storage capability but it is in different places. The slide-out drawers under the dinette in our former unit were very nice and convenient; this TT does not have them, so only occasionally-needed stuff goes under there. The location of everyday items changed three times during the weekend! My best option was to do a little looking and then ask the DW "where is it now?"

I was hoping the smoke alarm wouldn't be an issue with this TT due to its location further from oven/stove. Oh well - at least it cleared its smoke chamber quickly!

I'm thinking of replacing the accordion door that isolates the bedroom with something a bit sturdier for two reasons: 1) it doesn't go fully to the floor and our cat can wiggle under it (we don't want her sleeping with us), and 2) it is a pain to get to fold up nicely. Lowe's and Home Depot both have something, but I'm not sure that their offering is "beefy" enough. I'm checking the local hardware stores to see what else is offered. On-line for this is not really an option as I like to see and touch what I'm getting; I want it in stock versus an order.

I meant to check "visibility" through the shades at night as you mentioned, but forgot. I was pleasantly surprised that sunlight percolation through them wasn't too bad in the morning, but as summer progresses and we migrate further north, sunrise will be coming earlier and earlier, and we'll have to see how that works out.

I've got the 1K round E2 bars for the WDH and it pulled like a dream. There wasn't any strong cross wind on this trip, but when 18-wheelers blew by I didn't feel them. We didn't have any WDH on the old TT; it was lighter and shorter, and the truck's curb weight rivaled the GVWR of the TT. We had traveled out in the windy west without any issues, and I hope we'll have similar experiences with our current setup.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Turning on the TV is a TV option dealing with the HDMI inputs. It drove me nuts as well. The trailer is in the shop at the moment so I can't go out and see what the option was but as I recall it was easy to find. I don't recall if there was a similar option for the opposite direction on the Jensen head we have in our 2106FBS.

Since you've owned a previous trailer you should know no maiden trip is complete without setting off the smoke detector. How else will the neighbors know to congratulate you on the new trailer?
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
Turning on the TV is a TV option dealing with the HDMI inputs. It drove me nuts as well. ...
I'll have to look again - I obviously missed it the first time. Thanks!

Quote:
Since you've owned a previous trailer you should know no maiden trip is complete without setting off the smoke detector. How else will the neighbors know to congratulate you on the new trailer?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Turning on the TV is a TV option dealing with the HDMI inputs. ...
I downloaded the manual from the web site (I guess we didn't get a paper copy!) and found the proper instructions (under INlink Control). Not intuitively obvious to me, but now the problem is solved. Thanks!