Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Minnie 2201DS actual weight and....

So....with gear loaded aside from clothes and food, I took the Minnie 2201DS to the CAT scales today. Actual weight - 6,180 lbs., so with food and clothes, we'll still be under 6,500 lbs. The dry weight of the trailer is 4,820...but you know its quite a bit more with 2 propane tanks, awning, and slide-out awning. However...you would have to pack it with one heck of a lot of stuff to reach the max. capacity of 7,500 lbs.

And, headed to the factory tomorrow for a ladder install, and then to Mears, Michigan on the west coast. This will be our first actual trip with the Minnie, other than the shakedown 3 night camping trip. And, hopefully, Winnebago will have the replacement bar fridge for the one that was DOA.

More detailed review of the 2201DS to follow!
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

How was the rear axle weight on the tow vehicle ?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I only weighed the truck alone and the trailer alone. I plan to go back at another time and check the hitch weight.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
So....with gear loaded aside from clothes and food, I took the Minnie 2201DS to the CAT scales today. Actual weight - 6,180 lbs., so with food and clothes, we'll still be under 6,500 lbs. The dry weight of the trailer is 4,820...but you know its quite a bit more with 2 propane tanks, awning, and slide-out awning.
Good info. I'm a little surprised it came in that much over the dry weight. I know gear and propane and battery all add up, but 1,300lbs!?!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Good info. I'm a little surprised it came in that much over the dry weight. I know gear and propane and battery all add up, but 1,300lbs!?!

Many, many post on the inaccuracy of factory dry weight & factory hitch weights being way off.
Only way to be sure of what your getting is to weigh it yourself.
If , I was in the market for a TT, I would have it written into the deal to have the unit weighed in my presence before I paid for a unit.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good advice. I just made sure my trailer's GVW (not dry weight) was below my towing capacity, so I have about a 30% margin.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I had always read that dry weights don't include accessories and tend to be on the low side, so I wasn't surprised at the 1300 lbs. One factor may be that the outside kitchen on the 2201DS is an option, so you have to add in the weight of the bar fridge, sink, extra counter with slide out counter for the 2 burner stove and the stove. And I think most of us enderestimate the weight of our gear because so much of it doesn't weigh that much individually, but you keep adding another few pounds here and there and before you know it, it's a lot more than you would think!

Since I was weighing the trailer after being hooked up, I left the sway bars attached, so you have the added weight of the hitch minus the hitch head attached to the truck.

Having weighed the 2291DS, now I know I should have weighed the Sunline that I had. Now I'm pretty darned sure that it had to be over 8K loaded. And with the Sunline, I had the added weight of the Hensley hitch....never realized how heavy that hitch is until I removed it from the tongue of the Sunline!

So, I'll be another one to advise new owners to get their rig weighted....especially those that buy trailers that only allow for 1,000 lbs of added weight. I can see how easily it would be to overload a lot of the units that are being sold.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

So, I'll be another one to advise new owners to get their rig weighted....especially those that buy trailers that only allow for 1,000 lbs of added weight. I can see how easily it would be to overload a lot of the units that are being sold.[/QUOTE]

You have to really watch what and in my case where , you pile things in , base unit of my Dutch Star , had 5,000 lbs. CCC. Factory options dropped that number to 3,745 on my coach, and if I'm loaded with my and the DW's stuff, for our trip south, I can only run 1/2 tank of fresh water to keep the rear axle weight , within limits, I have 800 lbs left on GVWR but the rear is at it's limit.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

This may be a stupid question, but where do I go get it weighed? I have visions of pulling into an interstate weigh-station and trying to unhook my trailer while big-rigs line up behind me.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

I asked a guy I know at a local trucking company, and he said the best time to get something weighed and not interfere with truckers would be late morning or early afternoon. I went at around 11 am to a CAT scale in Avon, OH right off Interstate 90 and there weren't any trucks waiting to while I got my truck and trailer weighed.

Tags
weight