Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

might need a trailer tow dolly to back 1706fb into a narrow driveway

Hi everyone.
Asking advice on a proven trailer tow dolly that any of you have used to get a micro Minnie 1706fb into a 12 ft wide driveway with a slight incline. Our street measures 20'6", & we're planning to pull the 1706fb micro Minnie with our 2017 honda pilot, FWD, tow capacity 5000 lbs. Going to rent a u haul trailer to see if we can maneuver the trailer off street into our driveway. Any advice on a trailer tow dolly we can use if it's too tight of a situation? We've been researching them on line, needless to say, it's a little confusing. We could use some help. Thank you.
CantTakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

not understanding your question rent a 20 ft u-haul and try it. should not be a problem it will back in easier than you think. take it to a large parking lot set up cones to simulate your street and driveway and house and practice soon you will be a pro. i don't know what you mean by tow dolly
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Backing in is not my forte, but I can push in easily. (And it sure draws a crowd in the campground!) I put a Reese hitch receiver on the front of my truck. At the time (~5 years ago) it was about $177 delivered from Amazon; I've seen it for less since. I needed a different hitch setup as the front receiver was closer to the ground than the one in the rear, so I got one with a 4 inch lift; this way the tongue jack can be fully retracted if desired. It is much easier for me to manipulate the trailer pushing it rather than backing it. Either way I need a spotter, though, just to be sure.

My truck frame was pre-drilled from the factory to accept the front end receiver. You might consider checking to see if this is an option for you. A neighbor and I installed the receiver in about 30 minutes. The toughest part was fishing the bolts through the chassis, but Reese provided helper cables to assist in that task.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are tow dollies designed for maneuvering trailers but a lot depends on what you mean by "slight incline". Since you've been researching them you probably know about some of them. Here's an example:

Power Caster Inc | The Original Trailer Mover | Temple City 800-773-3833

I have an older model Powercaster PC-3 that I need to sell if you're within striking distance of the Sacramento area. I bought it for a Nash 22H TT but never used it since it was difficult to get traction on my parking surface made up of walnut size rocks.

You might want to post some photos of your situation for advice.

Your idea of renting a 20' U-Haul sounds like a good idea but, if you're inexperienced at towing, I'd find someone who's good at it to try getting it up your drive. Your efforts as a raw beginner aren't going to be indicative of what's possible.

As suggested by SummitPond, maneuvering with a front-mounted hitch is much easier. I did a quick search and found front hitches for a 2015 Honda Pilot but not a 2017. A good hitch shop may be able to sort things out for you unless there's a significant structural issue. Even if it's not absolutely necessary, it would be nice to have, both at home and for tough camping spots.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a Ultralite 30ress and have a very long driveway and not enough room to turn around at the top. I first purchased an electric Parkit360 and it could not handle it at all. Sent it back with no problem and purchased a gas powered Airtug which does a fantastic job.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This is does not address pushing the trailer in but rather trailer backing technique. Many, many years ago when i was having difficulty backing my trailer someone watching offered advice which improved my trailer backing results by 100%. Put your hand at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and move your hand towards the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Are you thinking about buying the Micro Minnie and want to know if it will get into your drive OK before you buy it or are you just concerned about your ability to do so? If it's the former, as I mentioned before, you need an experienced "trailer backer-upper" since, if you're inexperienced, it's not going to be a valid test. If you let us know where you're located, maybe a local Winnieowner can help you out. Another option might be a neighbor with a boat if there aren't any with TTs. It doesn't have to be the same size as the Micro, just long enough to get a good idea.

The difficult part will be the approach and knowing when and how much to turn in order to enter your drive from your street. Too close, too far out, too soon, too late, too sharp or not sharp enough and it's not going to work. The idea of traffic cones in a parking lot is a good one.

Once the back of the trailer has entered the drive OK, it's mostly a matter of following it with your tow vehicle. Neub's advice is right on.

There are ton's of how-to sites and videos online.

You've received some good responses so far. It would be nice if you'd respond and let us know your status with all this. It's difficult to communicate if we don't hear back from you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions in fitting a trailer into my driveway

Hello Gordiegaffer, Summit Pond, Bob C, Endo. & neub.
Can't thank you enough for all of your fantastic advice on backing up an approx. 20 ft. trailer from a 20'6" wide street into a 12' wide driveway. My husband & I are going to rent an auto hauler (19 ft.) again from u haul in a few days to try. The first time we tried to back it in we rented a u haul truck with a light kit that we did not have on our 2017 honda pilot, we have a hitch, but have since had u haul install a light kit for us, very reasonable. The truck was 3 feet longer than our SUV, & I think that made it harder to get the auto transport, practice trailer, into the driveway. My husband watched many videos numerous time on how to back up a trailer, he had it perfectly centered in the driveway, but it jack knifed to a point where he couldn't get it down the length of the driveway. I think the extra 3 feet on the truck made it more difficult, hoping the SUV, because shorter, will do the trick. A friend of ours backed his 25.5 foot BT Cruiser into our driveway no problem. Motor homes are expensive, was hoping to try out camping for a little less! Thanks so much again! We're located in Tarrytown NY.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Backing a motor home or van is much easier than a trailer into a confined space. We back large boat trailers (30'+long) into a narrow space from a street about as wide as yours on a regular basis. It is easier with the flat bed or empty trailer--since you can see more what is in back of the trailer.

One thing we find that helps, is that my wife talks me thru it--since we cannot often see exactly where the "other side" is. You can use your cell phones, or a walky talky type of device. (We use Eartec's--which are duplex--like a phone, where you can both talk). My wife spots the blind side, I cannot see in the rear view mirror. Even being experienced, it takes some backing and filling to get the trailer right where you want it.

Definitely having a front hitch on the truck/suv does help. (we don't have a front hitch). One of the power casters may help--but it may be a lot of load--although the weight is about 3000 lbs "dry"--it is easy to get the weight up considerably more--and maybe even more than the limit for the pilot.

One other item you mentioned was "light hook up"--you will also need a brake controller, and most likely have to have the pilot wired for a 7 pin plug, which. includes the brake controller for the electric brakes on the Micro Minnie.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Honda FWD isn’t rated at 5000lbs towing

The FWD Honda Pilot is rated at 3500lbs max. The AWD is rated at 5000lbs WHEN the factory tow package is installed WHICH includes the transmission cooler. Don’t know your loaded trailer weight but please check to see that you are under 3500lbs. If your overload the maximum towing capacity and had an accident, there is a strong possibility that you could be cited by law enforcement and more importantly, denied on an insurance claim for not being legal. However IF you have AWD with factory’s towing package, you will be fine with your trailer. I tow with AWD Acura with towing package, weight distribution hitch and electric brake controller. So I have thoroughly checked out towing requirements and capabilities. Your Pilot has the same towing capabilities as my Acura when similarly equipped. All of this is especially important if you go to the mountains. I have towed my 2106FBS at over 11,000’ in Colorado with no problem. I understand your concern is backing into your driveway but I’m calling attention to another important issue that you may need to be aware of. SAFE TRAVELS!!!!
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Several things, like others have said make sure you are within the weight limits of your tow vehicle, just because you can move it forward doesn't mean you can stop it, the "hand at the bottom of the wheel" is good advice, GO SLOW it is easier to stop before hitting something, never and I mean never be afraid to ask for help, fellow campers are always willing to help, like others have said have someone in the back to help watch and we use a cellphone for communication, listen to only one person, to many people will add confusion and hate and discontent, we have had a camper, three different travel trailers (longest was 26ft), one fifthwheel (36 ft) and two motorhomes (current one is 40ft), three different boats (current one is 27ft). We have an electric mule that makes it real easy (they are expensive but in my mind are worth it). The cones in a parking lot is a great way to practice, also one needs to pay attention to overhead obstructions (tree limbs, power lines, eves on the roof of the house, etc). I have found, for me, is to back from the left that way you can look out your side of the car and see where you are. The bottom line is enjoy whatever you end up getting! All of the information that others have given is great stuff, you just need to sort out what works best for you. Happy Camping!
Kernbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
2017 42QD Tour

Trailer Valet

I did some test & design work on Trailer Valet a few years ago and have several I had for use and design test. It’ll handle up to 5000 pounds on a “slight incline” very well.

Look on-line for Trailer Valet for further details and pricing. I think they are around $450.00 to $500.00 or so.

I do have two available if you’re interested.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Consider practicing in an empty parking lot using cones/buckets instead of your driveway. Yes verify the towing capacity of your Pilot in the configuration you have to ensure it is capable of towing your Micro1706FB.

If the MAX towing capacity of the Pilot is only 5,000 lbs then you can only safely tow the Micro1706FB when its lightly loaded since its GVWR is 7,000 lbs with water, food, gear, etc in it. Half way loaded it could be right at the 5,000 lbs mentioned as the MAX for the Pilot.

Empty it weighs less than the single axle Micro1700BH which has a GVWR of only 3,700 lbs so you could carry more in the Micro1706FB as long as you ensure that you do not go over that 5,000 lb limit stated for the Pilot with AWD and the Tow Package.

If you have the FWD Pilot you need to look at lighter trailers or get a bigger vehicle.

Note that its not usually a comfortable drive when you are right at the MAX capacity of the tow vehicle. Personally I like the tow vehicles stated MAX tow capacity to be at least 25% above the weight of the trailer being towed.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

might need a trailer tow dolly to back 1706fb into a narrow driveway

There is some great information here. I don't see the backing of the 1706FB as a problem. What concerns me more is the Pilot working as a tow vehicle. I love the Pilot however, it is not designed for any kind of significant towing work based on my research? Towing a heavy load like the 1706FB that is so close to exceeding the manufacturer's stated maximum is a recipe for stressing the Pilot to the point to cause premature failures in the Pilot's drive train.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi guys. OK, had uhaul put the light kit in. Rented the 19ft. auto transport. Practiced in parking lot with cones for hours. We're actually very coordinated people. Tried the driveway, between people parked on the street, & coming in & out, my husband gets nervous. Called e trailer & did search, 2017 AWD pilot, no front hitch available that year. Tried finding an exp. tow person to no avail. We watched videos, one after another. Like the walky talky idea Thataway 4, thanks, my Uncle's in Pensacola, beautiful there. Johnevans 3, our '17 pilot is AWD, sorry, yes I did find out about the factory towing pkg., the weirdest thing was on my learning path, most mechanics said we didn't need the brake kit or trans. cooler, can you believe that? Safety first, my motto also, thanks. I've researched the WDH, it seems the pilot AWD can handle it, but will read some other's exp. kernbob, Wow you're good! Needed you to back the test trailer in! Ramjet, will check out trailer valet, thanks. Neilv, I agree, we lease our '17 pilot, have a few years to go, if we can ever get a test trailer in the driveway would look for a better tow vehicle. Brican, With all of my research & the forums wonderful people & advice, I'm becoming a towing expert! Think after all of this, we're going to try getting a 25j or 22c outlook class c into the driveway. Our friend got his 25.5 ft. bt cruiser in no problem. An RV repair shop nearby has the 25j for sale, 8" longer than our friends, 26.2, met them Sat., waiting to hear if we can borrow, our friend has his RV repaired there, they know him, or pay a fee to try. By the way, most of his rentals are Winnebago's, he said the roof is the most important thing, fiberglass. Thank you all for going on this journey with us & providing such diverse pertinent info. I'll be in touch, the saga continues...
Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Mechanic

Get another mechanic. Guy you talked to is full of ————.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I believe you are making the correct decision considering a Class C (or B+) vs the trailer. The trailer would have to have brakes by law in many states. (I also agree that the transmission cooler is a very good idea.). The earlier pilots were rated: 3500 lbs travel trailer, 5,000 lbs boat. The rational behind that was that the wind profile of a boat was far loss than the frontal profile (and side = sway) of a boat...We towed a 4800lb boat several times, and it was not a tow vehicle I would have purchased to tow that type of a load.

Good RVing.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow