Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #121
Winnebago Camper

Different mattress

Hello everyone

We are looking at the 2108DS. I am sure we would be replacing the mattress on the Murphy bed. We would prefer a coil spring mattress and was wondering if anyone had done this? Wondering if the struts would support the extra weight, limits on thickness, etc. Can't seem to find any information, and salesman didn't know much.
Thanks
Tim
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #122
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim l View Post
Hello everyone

We are looking at the 2108DS. I am sure we would be replacing the mattress on the Murphy bed. We would prefer a coil spring mattress and was wondering if anyone had done this? Wondering if the struts would support the extra weight, limits on thickness, etc. Can't seem to find any information, and salesman didn't know much.
Thanks
Tim
Funny thing, we tried a regular mattress (not top of the line) and didn't care for it. What worked best for us was to add a foam topper to the original mattress, I sleep better than I do at home!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #123
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim l View Post
Hello everyone

Thanks
Tim
You would have to have a lot a wight to overload the hinges and struts with the bed in the up position. Keep in mind the bed should be in the down position when traveling to prevent excess stress on the assembly.
when you are parked it's static weight and should not be an issue. I believe some folks have managed to shoehorn the 10 inch Zinus mattress into the murphy...
Old 11-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #124
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanatoJON View Post
Does anyone know the details on the new Extreme Weather Package that Winnebago is now offering as an option on it's 2019 trailers? Heard it has extra insulation and heated tanks. Searched the Winnebago site, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks!
Before I planned on purchasing my 2108DS I had a lot of questions regarding the "bear stickers" on the outside. It seemed like some trailers at the dealership that had the stickers, and some other trailers that were identical in every way to their neighbors with the stickers, didn't have stickers indicating what was included. My dealer (Who is brand new to Winnebago's) didn't know either. I called Winnebago myself. I asked to speak with a supervisor on the production line so I could inquire about how you tell the difference and what it means to have the extreme weather package. They told me nobody was allowed to talk to those guys, lol. Instead they transferred me to the engineer/designer of the Minnie's. I asked him what the extreme weather package was and he explained it like this. It's an added layer of reflective thermodynamic insulation. Meaning it will reflect the ambient temperature and increase the R value. He said all trailers in 2019 will have this package with no additional cost along with the heated tanks. It's basically a freebee. I took a picture of the VIN plate on the unit I was interested in and text it to his personal phone per his request (since we were basically BFF's at this point ) He was able to bring up the info and let me know that this unit wasn't what I was looking for. He then in return contacted another employee over inventory management and checked their surplus to see if they had what I was looking for in a lot at the factory. He called me back the next day and told me they have my trailer. I just needed to go through my dealer and get it ordered through the regional sales person. My dealer did just that and 6 weeks later my trailer arrived. I was super impressed with the customer service Winnebago gave me. In no way was the engineer/designer obligated to help me and answer my questions. In the process I learned a lot about their trailers and manufacturing process. I think i'm a Winnebago owner for life at this point.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #125
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli911 View Post
Before I planned on purchasing my 2108DS I had a lot of questions regarding the "bear stickers" on the outside. It seemed like some trailers at the dealership that had the stickers, and some other trailers that were identical in every way to their neighbors with the stickers, didn't have stickers indicating what was included. My dealer (Who is brand new to Winnebago's) didn't know either. I called Winnebago myself. I asked to speak with a supervisor on the production line so I could inquire about how you tell the difference and what it means to have the extreme weather package. They told me nobody was allowed to talk to those guys, lol. Instead they transferred me to the engineer/designer of the Minnie's. I asked him what the extreme weather package was and he explained it like this. It's an added layer of reflective thermodynamic insulation. Meaning it will reflect the ambient temperature and increase the R value. He said all trailers in 2019 will have this package with no additional cost along with the heated tanks. It's basically a freebee. I took a picture of the VIN plate on the unit I was interested in and text it to his personal phone per his request (since we were basically BFF's at this point ) He was able to bring up the info and let me know that this unit wasn't what I was looking for. He then in return contacted another employee over inventory management and checked their surplus to see if they had what I was looking for in a lot at the factory. He called me back the next day and told me they have my trailer. I just needed to go through my dealer and get it ordered through the regional sales person. My dealer did just that and 6 weeks later my trailer arrived. I was super impressed with the customer service Winnebago gave me. In no way was the engineer/designer obligated to help me and answer my questions. In the process I learned a lot about their trailers and manufacturing process. I think i'm a Winnebago owner for life at this point.

It is amazing that some dealers have very little knowledge as to the Micro Minnie trailers that they sell.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #126
Winnebago Camper

Why 2 vents inthe bathroom?

I have a 2108ds and I'm curious about why there are 2 AC vents in the bathroom since it is so small? Is it just a nice extra thing that Winnebago added?
Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #127
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information on the extreme weather package. How are the tanks heated? According to my dealer, the only heating of the tanks is from running the gas furnace. The additional insulation on the belly helps retain heat longer. Further there are no vents in the floor that would channel heat to the tanks. I'd love to be wrong on this , but that's my understanding.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #128
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog100 View Post
Thanks for the information on the extreme weather package. How are the tanks heated? According to my dealer, the only heating of the tanks is from running the gas furnace. The additional insulation on the belly helps retain heat longer. Further there are no vents in the floor that would channel heat to the tanks. I'd love to be wrong on this , but that's my understanding.
I believe if you remove the false bottom in the cupboard below the bathroom sink, you will find a flexable duct from the furnace going through the floor to the holding tank area. That is how it is on my 2106DS. I actually had to push my duct back through the hole in the floor, it had pulled out and was laying on top of the floor.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #129
Winnebago Camper

Found it! Thanks. The under floor vent was hiding under the larger bathroom flexible duct.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #130
Winnebago Camper

Where is everybody mounting their paper towel and toilet paper holders in their 2106DS and 2108DS? Also, does anybody have any tips on cabinet organization? Has anybody found any good racks or organizers that seem to work well and fit in our trailers?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #131
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli911 View Post
Where is everybody mounting their paper towel and toilet paper holders in their 2106DS and 2108DS? Also, does anybody have any tips on cabinet organization? Has anybody found any good racks or organizers that seem to work well and fit in our trailers?
We use a swivel paper towel holder that fits over the cabinet door above the kitchen sink. For a toilet paper holder, we use a wire basket that fits over the lower cabinet door beside the toilet. Here are a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_171911.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	170657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_172258.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	170659  

Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #132
Winnebago Camper

We love our new 2108DS!

Glad to find a thread on the Micro Minnies. We just took delivery on ours. Right now it's our favorite clubhouse here in Connecticut. Planning our first trip in June. Still also deciding on where the toilet paper and paper towel rolls will live. Our only question is in hooking up a gas hose for the BBQ. Our connection has some kind of snap fit. Anybody figure that one out?

Thanks and good travels,
Geoff in CT
Old 12-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #133
Micro Minnie 1706FB

The gas connection on the Micro Minnie is a standard connector for gas hoses that you can pick up at your RV store, remove the protective cap and couple the hose connector from your BBQ. This connection is pressure regulated by the trailer's regulator so it is very low pressure. Make sure your BBQ is compatible with this as many portable BBQs have their own built in regulators that require gas bottle pressure. I have a Weber portable BBQ that needs to be connected to a propane bottle so I carry a 5 pound bottle rather than using the green non refillable type.
Good Luck
Old 12-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #134
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigearl View Post
The gas connection on the Micro Minnie is a standard connector for gas hoses that you can pick up at your RV store, remove the protective cap and couple the hose connector from your BBQ. This connection is pressure regulated by the trailer's regulator so it is very low pressure. Make sure your BBQ is compatible with this as many portable BBQs have their own built in regulators that require gas bottle pressure. I have a Weber portable BBQ that needs to be connected to a propane bottle so I carry a 5 pound bottle rather than using the green non refillable type.
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. I was able to buy a quick connect hose locally. Then I found a really good hardware store and bought the right fittings to go directly to my bbq. I didn’t use the regulator that came with the grill, a Blackstone tailgater combo, since it’s already regulated by the camper supply. The hose is long enough so the grill isn’t under the awning. Worked out well.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #135
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkooris View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was able to buy a quick connect hose locally. Then I found a really good hardware store and bought the right fittings to go directly to my bbq. I didn’t use the regulator that came with the grill, a Blackstone tailgater combo, since it’s already regulated by the camper supply. The hose is long enough so the grill isn’t under the awning. Worked out well.

That is what we did with our Weber Q. It is dedicated to the trailer so I had no concern about removing the attached regulator and adapting the plumbing to run off the trailer regulated supply.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #136
Winnebago Owner

I bought a toilet paper holder on its own floor stand. Put it where the mood strikes and store it under the sink during transit. 16 dollars at Walmart and no holes drilled.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #137
Winnebago Camper

Coupler and Wheel Locks- Help

I've been all over the map on a coupler and wheel lock for my new 2108DS. I've pretty much settled on needing a coupler lock, wheel claw and locking lug nuts. What should I buy? Cost seems to run from cheap to hundreds of dollars. I've also watched the videos on how these devices fail. My trailer is stored inside a building at my house so my primary need would be while I'm out using the trailer.
What are other micro minnie owners using?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #138
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Atwood Tankless, no more ruining trips

Hello all!!

I posted this in the heating cooling section, but hoping this thread will help since it is more specific.

2016 Micro Minnie 2106FBS

Issue: Atwood 6 gallon tankless water heater Model OD-5001 does not work 75% of the time during each camping trip

I am fed up with the tankless water heater ruining every trip I take with the Micro Minnie. It is so finnicky. It seems like the first day of every trip, I spend it researching how to get the tankless water heat to work. Well, I am tired of it ruining our trips.

So I contacted atwood for help and opened up a case. They said it has a recall for a scalding water issue and they can not help us any further until it is installed. I was instructed to call one of Atwood's authorized dealers but earliest anyone can work on my Minnie is August. Thanks Atwood. So I have a non authorized dealer look at it and the service department said "with these units, you are peeing in the wind throwing time and money at it. I would advise you to rip this terribly engineered unit out and put something more reliable in there. I have seen hundreds of these tankless units and they are all crap."

Question? Has anyone replaced their 6 gallon units for the Micro and will you suggest an economical and dependable one? How much did it cost? Will you include model # please?

Thank you for the info
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #139
Winnebago Master

This won't really help with your specific situation, but I just got an email from Camping World for a sale that includes several models of tankless water heaters for around $200.00 or less. If I were in your situation I might consider trying to find a cheap one that would get me by for the summer until Atwood can get its act together.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #140
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog100 View Post
I've been all over the map on a coupler and wheel lock for my new 2108DS. I've pretty much settled on needing a coupler lock, wheel claw and locking lug nuts. What should I buy? Cost seems to run from cheap to hundreds of dollars. I've also watched the videos on how these devices fail. My trailer is stored inside a building at my house so my primary need would be while I'm out using the trailer.
What are other micro minnie owners using?
All I have done is close the coupler back up after unhitching and place the lock back in. If someone wants the trailer they're going to get it regardless of what you have hitch locked with. A chain and lock thought the wheel spokes would for sure slow things down for the bad guys...
Closed Thread