Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie damaged

Long story short, I bought a Trax trailer dolly that went out of control ("throttle" control stuck) and pulled my trailer into the neighbors fence. It didn't do too much damage to the trailer but I need to address some of it.

The front side marker light camera that I had installed was ripped off. The screws were yanked out so the holes are stripped. I need a way to reattach the light/camera. I am thinking of some small drywall anchors might do the trick. Any other suggestions?

The black piece of curved metal that goes along the front curve of the trailer was pulled out at the bottom by a couple of inches. I think that can be pushed back in and reattached. There was also some paint damage to the same thing up higher that I can deal with.

The flat flange around the hitch is twisted up. The ball socket seems to be ok. Not sure if this is just cosmetic or if that flange serves a structural purpose.

I think I was damaged the most with my leg being pulled under the dolly. I had six stitches on my shin along with dermabond for the places that couldn't be stitched. Also some nice skin abrasions on my ankle and shin that go down to the nerve level. Hurts like hell.

Any suggestions on fixing the trailer myself? It's brand new but I don't want to wait a month or so for it to be fixed in the shop, not to mention the cost.
Pralix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Where the camera screws were ripped out, drill a hole and epoxy in a piece of dowel rod. After the epoxy has cured drill a new screw hole.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I found some toggle bolts that would go through the side after completing the screw hole. Since the wiring for the lights is semi-exposed in the cargo area, I was able to screw the toggle on from the inside. Seems to hold well.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As I said in my first message, my hitch is damaged. The flange is bent up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02068.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	172160

Any idea of how to fix this?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

How about clamping a large ViceGrip Adjustable Wrench on the flange and bending it back down where you want it to be, then some paint to prevent rust. Might be able to use some tape under the jaws of the ViceGrips to minimize the cosmetic damage to the flange.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would probably take a big crescent wrench, open it enough for the lip to slip in and then work around the circumference bending it back.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sadly, it's a very heavy gauge of metal. I do not think that vice-grips alone will work. We tried using a block of wood and a hammer and it only dented the wood. I have a 10# landscape tamper that may have the right type of edge and weight combined with a hammer to return it to some kind of normal shape.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Like someone else said, use a crescent wrench, if it’s not enough slide a piece of pipe over the handle.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote