Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Micro Minnie cargo rack

Weak bumper means that a rear cargo rack needs different support than attaching to the bumper. Has anyone found one that works with the Micro Minnie. I want to carry the generators back there and the bicycles in front. Thank you!
golithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golithii View Post
Weak bumper means that a rear cargo rack needs different support than attaching to the bumper. Has anyone found one that works with the Micro Minnie. I want to carry the generators back there and the bicycles in front. Thank you!
People with metal working skills and equipment have made them like this guy "Hey Ernie" for his regular Minnie towable: Winnebago Minnie Towable - Page 300 - iRV2 Forums Go to page 300 of the thread if the link doesn't take you there.

I would caution you though there is a reason travel trailer manufacturers advise not to put anything more than the spare tire on the back of a trailer....even a bicycle rack with two bikes can change your weight distribution enough to cause sway....there is a tremendous amount of leverage applied when hanging extra weight back there and yes there are videos showing rollovers.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

weight distribution

I understand the theory of the weight distribution issue. I do not have any application experience. So, your experiences will be great.

IF I can mount the generators on the back, I would expect 100 pounds on the back. Then, I would try to mount the tire and two bicycles on the front. I would expect that to balance the weight overall.

But there is that tricky thing called a moment of inertia, the further away from the center the weight is, the more effect it has.

Like I say, I have no experience. Have you or anyone balanced weight like this and experienced an increase in sway even if the tongue weight doesn't change.

I hope the question makes sense.
golithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I understand the theory of the weight distribution issue. I do not have any application experience. So, your experiences will be great.

IF I can mount the generators on the back, I would expect 100 pounds on the back. Then, I would try to mount the tire and two bicycles on the front. I would expect that to balance the weight overall.

But there is that tricky thing called a moment of inertia, the further away from the center the weight is, the more effect it has.

Like I say, I have no experience. Have you or anyone balanced weight like this and experienced an increase in sway even if the tongue weight doesn't change.

I hope the question makes sense.
No I haven't ever tried that. You would definitely want to use scales but not sure about how you would figure the leverage factor not to mention the increased forces at the end of a lever from dips and bumps. In my research I have found examples such as this one:

Out of control sway - Airstream Forums

note post #9 3rd paragraph answers your question about balance
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm not telling you it can't be done I am just sharing information I have found during my extensive research so that you can be aware of it and make an informed decision. I am sure a lot of it has to do with how substantial of a tow vehicle you have as well. I did see a video of a pretty big TT rollover being towed by a Ford Excursion, the TT had something on a cargo carrier hanging off the back, not sure what it was but it was fairly large. Right after it passed the vehicle with the dash cam it went into a sway condition and the driver lost it. Maybe the cargo caused or contributed to it, no way to know for sure but in my gut I feel it did.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie Murphy Bed & ideas

We have just ordered a 2019 Micro Minnie 2018DS, and we are very excited. It should be here the last part of August. Trying to plan ahead and wondering the size of the Murphy Bed (??double bed) I think, and if regular double bed sheets will fit. Also can you use a mattress topper, how thick, and any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if you have any space saving ideas they will be appreciated also. Thanks!!
NanatoJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanatoJON View Post
We have just ordered a 2019 Micro Minnie 2018DS, and we are very excited. It should be here the last part of August. Trying to plan ahead and wondering the size of the Murphy Bed (??double bed) I think, and if regular double bed sheets will fit. Also can you use a mattress topper, how thick, and any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if you have any space saving ideas they will be appreciated also. Thanks!!
Its a Full, and yes a 2" thick mattress topper and regular full size sheets will work just fine.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply about bed size and topper!! That helps so much with the planning before we actually get it.
NanatoJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Suggestion, go on the Casita trailer company and look at Accessories and look at the welded bracket that fits on tongue. Looks like a good idea. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
blubugger

We have the 2106ds Micro and indeed, I did try putting a light bike rack and two bikes back there and equalized it with more storage up front. The problem is that my rack was not necessarily real tight in the 2" receiver, that extra play coupled with the looseness of the collapsible bike rack pivot and the mountainous roads....caused the entire weight [there is also a spare mounted on the 4" square bumper] to bob up and down and almost pull the bumper upper mount rivets out of their holes. This was a 450mile trip so on the return, i redistributed their weight elsewhere. So, a potential catastrophe was avoided.
Now to get the seemingly wimpy bumper flanges reworked for safe travel.
Incidently, not much sway with all this going on. A Ford Explorer Sport the tow vehicle. excellent.
So, if bikes are required, investigate ladder mounts or front end racks.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
blubugger

An update: we had the RV place repair the sagging bumper. Two new heavy screws were installed on each frame support. The final determination: the attachment point of the bumper to the frames cannot support any additional weight or it will fail. I suppose a good weld job may add some strength, but there is not a whole lot of metal to weld together. So any added weight should go to the front.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I call this the barbell effect.

Charles
Old 09-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In prior discussions on the net that I have read, there are no manufacturers of bike racks that will warrant theirs if used on and RV, due to the vibration and movement of the rig.

Charles