Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Micro Minnie cargo rack

Weak bumper means that a rear cargo rack needs different support than attaching to the bumper. Has anyone found one that works with the Micro Minnie. I want to carry the generators back there and the bicycles in front. Thank you!
golithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by golithii View Post
Weak bumper means that a rear cargo rack needs different support than attaching to the bumper. Has anyone found one that works with the Micro Minnie. I want to carry the generators back there and the bicycles in front. Thank you!
People with metal working skills and equipment have made them like this guy "Hey Ernie" for his regular Minnie towable: Winnebago Minnie Towable - Page 300 - iRV2 Forums Go to page 300 of the thread if the link doesn't take you there.

I would caution you though there is a reason travel trailer manufacturers advise not to put anything more than the spare tire on the back of a trailer....even a bicycle rack with two bikes can change your weight distribution enough to cause sway....there is a tremendous amount of leverage applied when hanging extra weight back there and yes there are videos showing rollovers.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
weight distribution

I understand the theory of the weight distribution issue. I do not have any application experience. So, your experiences will be great.

IF I can mount the generators on the back, I would expect 100 pounds on the back. Then, I would try to mount the tire and two bicycles on the front. I would expect that to balance the weight overall.

But there is that tricky thing called a moment of inertia, the further away from the center the weight is, the more effect it has.

Like I say, I have no experience. Have you or anyone balanced weight like this and experienced an increase in sway even if the tongue weight doesn't change.

I hope the question makes sense.
golithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by golithii View Post
I understand the theory of the weight distribution issue. I do not have any application experience. So, your experiences will be great.

IF I can mount the generators on the back, I would expect 100 pounds on the back. Then, I would try to mount the tire and two bicycles on the front. I would expect that to balance the weight overall.

But there is that tricky thing called a moment of inertia, the further away from the center the weight is, the more effect it has.

Like I say, I have no experience. Have you or anyone balanced weight like this and experienced an increase in sway even if the tongue weight doesn't change.

I hope the question makes sense.
No I haven't ever tried that. You would definitely want to use scales but not sure about how you would figure the leverage factor not to mention the increased forces at the end of a lever from dips and bumps. In my research I have found examples such as this one:

Out of control sway - Airstream Forums

note post #9 3rd paragraph answers your question about balance
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 67
I'm not telling you it can't be done I am just sharing information I have found during my extensive research so that you can be aware of it and make an informed decision. I am sure a lot of it has to do with how substantial of a tow vehicle you have as well. I did see a video of a pretty big TT rollover being towed by a Ford Excursion, the TT had something on a cargo carrier hanging off the back, not sure what it was but it was fairly large. Right after it passed the vehicle with the dash cam it went into a sway condition and the driver lost it. Maybe the cargo caused or contributed to it, no way to know for sure but in my gut I feel it did.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
Micro Minnie Murphy Bed & ideas

We have just ordered a 2019 Micro Minnie 2018DS, and we are very excited. It should be here the last part of August. Trying to plan ahead and wondering the size of the Murphy Bed (??double bed) I think, and if regular double bed sheets will fit. Also can you use a mattress topper, how thick, and any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if you have any space saving ideas they will be appreciated also. Thanks!!
NanatoJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanatoJON View Post
We have just ordered a 2019 Micro Minnie 2018DS, and we are very excited. It should be here the last part of August. Trying to plan ahead and wondering the size of the Murphy Bed (??double bed) I think, and if regular double bed sheets will fit. Also can you use a mattress topper, how thick, and any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if you have any space saving ideas they will be appreciated also. Thanks!!
Its a Full, and yes a 2" thick mattress topper and regular full size sheets will work just fine.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you for your reply about bed size and topper!! That helps so much with the planning before we actually get it.
NanatoJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 39
Suggestion, go on the Casita trailer company and look at Accessories and look at the welded bracket that fits on tongue. Looks like a good idea. Good luck.
__________________
2017-1706 fb towed by 2015 F150 XLT EcoBoost
2.7 L V6. Avg 14.9mpg @ sweet spot of 64mph:
W 69947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro Minnie Thread GramaBabby Winnebago Travel Trailers 106 09-15-2018 04:40 PM
Micro Minnie owners - question for you BrontoBrat Winnebago Travel Trailers 11 08-14-2018 02:48 PM
Bike rack & spare tire rack Navioning Welcome Mat 1 03-13-2018 11:35 PM
Minnie Micro 2106 owners with ladders wiredgeorge Winnebago Travel Trailers 8 04-02-2017 12:31 PM
New Micro Minnie Owner boater1217 Winnebago Class B Motorhomes 8 06-19-2015 07:49 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.