Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Micro Minnie 2108DS

Hey folks... I am a newcomer to this forum and hoping to get answers to a couple quick questions I have on the 2108DS. I tried the search function but didn't find the required intel.

We are narrowing down our short list of smaller travel trailers and the 2108DS checks off a lot of our boxes. The smaller kitchen with limited storage and small fresh water tank are the only drawbacks I can see so far. Won't know if the 7' width will seem tight until we go see the layout in person at an upcoming show.

And now the questions lol ... after watching a number of videos I could not determine if the dinette has accessible storage underneath. Anyone know?

Also is backup camera prep an option?

Thanks in advance!
TheHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

So, according to the dealer... yes to storage in the dinette and no to factory rear camera prep. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the group. I only joined a short time ago when I bought my 2108DS. Only got to try it out once because the cold weather was closing in on us. But, it seemed to have plenty of space for the two of us, the slide out adds a lot of room. I like the narrower 7' width for towing with my Chevy Colorado. I mounted a backup camera using some ingenuity and the spare tire mount. I have also heard of someone else mounting the camera up high and getting power from the clearance lights. I use a camera that links to my Garmin GPS.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

By the way, there is a lot of storage under the dinette seats!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the follow up and information. That is helpful as we continue our research. Congrats on your 2108DS
Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For a rearview camera, it is simple to replace the center clearance light with a wireless camera. I replaced ours with a Furrion. Took less than an hour to install. The 7' wide trailer is a mixed bag. Its tight around the bed but much nicer to tow. I am able to use the stock mirrors on my Tundra just fine with my 2106DS.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
For a rearview camera, it is simple to replace the center clearance light with a wireless camera. I replaced ours with a Furrion. Took less than an hour to install. The 7' wide trailer is a mixed bag. Its tight around the bed but much nicer to tow. I am able to use the stock mirrors on my Tundra just fine with my 2106DS.
Thanks for the heads-up on the camera. Looks like the way to go.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The storage under the dinette is large, but not easy to access. We added a 12x24 drawer to each side that pulls out toward the galley. Helps a lot.
Fzyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Purchasing 2108DS

Hi All:
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2108DS. I'm hoping to increase the battery capacity by running with two 6 volt batteries. The battery tray looks small. Will it accommodate two six volt golf cart batteries? If, not what would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
Photog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

We had the dealer add an additional 12v battery as part of the deal. Haven't done much off grid to fully test it yet.
Fzyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
Welcome to the group. I only joined a short time ago when I bought my 2108DS. Only got to try it out once because the cold weather was closing in on us. But, it seemed to have plenty of space for the two of us, the slide out adds a lot of room. I like the narrower 7' width for towing with my Chevy Colorado. I mounted a backup camera using some ingenuity and the spare tire mount. I have also heard of someone else mounting the camera up high and getting power from the clearance lights. I use a camera that links to my Garmin GPS.
I've since moved the camera to a position just under the center clearance light and wired it to the light. The camera is a Garmin, is wireless, and works with my Garmin GPS. I made a small plastic plate to mount the camera and then used VHB tape to mount the plate in place.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
By the way, there is a lot of storage under the dinette seats!
I ordered two cupboard doors to fit the ends of the dining room benches. It provides much easier access to the storage under the seats.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog100 View Post
Hi All:
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2108DS. I'm hoping to increase the battery capacity by running with two 6 volt batteries. The battery tray looks small. Will it accommodate two six volt golf cart batteries? If, not what would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, two 6 volt batteries with protective cases will fit on the battery tray, So glad a friend of mine convinced me to go with the two 6 volt batteries instead of the 12v battery.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
I've since moved the camera to a position just under the center clearance light and wired it to the light. The camera is a Garmin, is wireless, and works with my Garmin GPS. I made a small plastic plate to mount the camera and then used VHB tape to mount the plate in place.
I’m new to this too, how exactly did you wire it to the light? I’m wanting to add a camera but not drill a hole into the trailer and search for a power source? Any advice will help!
msw218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw218 View Post
I’m new to this too, how exactly did you wire it to the light? I’m wanting to add a camera but not drill a hole into the trailer and search for a power source? Any advice will help!
I used a piece of 1/4" thick black plastic (Sintra) which I cut to the size of the light. This allowed me to cut a slot for the power wire to the camera. I also used a piece of Sintra to mount the camera and the sending unit. I did have to enlarge the hole behind the light a little bit to get enough access to the wires.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I used VHB tape to mount the camera plate and the transmitter. The screws for the light were log enough to reuse.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Just wondering how well the 2106DS tows behind the Tundra? We're planning on going with a 2019 model 2106DS later this month. I have never towed a travel trailer behind my 2012 5.7L Double Cab w/ factory tow package, this will be a new experience for me. Dealer is recommending a Blue Ox WD hitch system. Planning a long haul trip from Ohio to Florida this winter and would like to head to Montrose, Co next spring/summer. Any comments or insight would be appreciated.
This camera setup looks like a great little future addition to my rig also.
Newkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkid68 View Post
Just wondering how well the 2106DS tows behind the Tundra? We're planning on going with a 2019 model 2106DS later this month. I have never towed a travel trailer behind my 2012 5.7L Double Cab w/ factory tow package, this will be a new experience for me. Dealer is recommending a Blue Ox WD hitch system. Planning a long haul trip from Ohio to Florida this winter and would like to head to Montrose, Co next spring/summer. Any comments or insight would be appreciated.
This camera setup looks like a great little future addition to my rig also.
We tow our 2306BHS with a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro4X. I had concerns before getting the trailer with what most consider a small truck, but every trip so far has been smooth. The truck is rated to 6100lbs, the trailer full is probably just over 5000 so there is some room. I had no towing experience prior to this. Engine is 4L, feels plenty powerful even up hill. We've camped offroad in the desert, tho I flipped to 4wd as the truck tires tend to spin at first on 2wd.

The BlueOx WD has been great so far, I read reviews on it and can confirm it is simple to hook, unhook and stow, quiet and does not get in the way of sharp turns including in reverse. Don't have a point of reference towing without it but the ride always felt stable even with the high winds last week.

We just came back from the mountains and both the truck and the trailer did great. I have the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ brake controller. Spent some time tweaking and tuning it to the point where the breaks do not overheat but stopping still feels controlled.
jaisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I just ordered my 2019 2108TB Here is the list of items as the dealer sent them to me
As you see the Backup Camera Prep is included:
--------
White Exterior Paint
Micro Minnie Feature Package: NXG Engineered Chassis, T60 Exterior Fiberglass Sidewalls, TPO Roof, 13.5 Roof Air, Microwave, AV System, AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/Bluetooth, USB Charging Ports, Gas/Electric Refrigerator,
6 Gallon Gas/Electric/DSI Water Heater, TV Antenna with Booster, LED TV,
Exterior Speakers, Aluminum Wheel Assemblies, Heated & Enclosed Tanks, Power Awning with LED Lighting, Solar Charger Prep, Power Tongue Jack, Backup Camera Prep, Three Burner range with Oven, 15" Off Road Tire/Axle Lift, 3700 lb Torsion Axles.
15.0 BTU AC Upgrade
Extreme Weather Package
RVIA Seal
12V Deep Cycle Battery
Slideout Awning
----------
DoverTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I used VHB tape to mount the camera plate and the transmitter. The screws for the light were log enough to reuse.

I forgot to mention that the camera I used is a Garmin, it connects wireless to my Garmin GPS, it was also the least expensive way to add a camera.