Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Insurance question for Micro Minnie

Now that our new Micro Minnie (2108DS) has arrived, we are getting ready to head out on a short test trip.
First we need to get some insurance on it and wondering what others are doing for that. Are you insuring thru your car insurance or an RV policy like with Good Sam? We have heard a couple different opinions, but not sure what to do. We did buy an extended policy, which may have been a dumb move, but we did it so will live with it!!
Thanks for any help or advice you have to give!
SKIPPERFRANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some auto insurance companies outsource RV coverage to RV insurance companies. My automobiles are insured through USAA but my MH is insured by Progressive through an arrangement with USAA. Some form of road service is a must. I have my road service through Progressive and used it on our first trip in our new to us 2002 MH.

I don't know about the pros and cons of one RV insurance vs. another but I've been insured by USAA since the 1960s (USAA is a cooperative that insures current and former military and their families). They've been fantastic and IMHO wouldn't have chosen Progressive if it wasn't a good company. I don't know if I'm getting a discounted rate from Progressive due to the USAA relationship. Progressive agreed to insure my MH for more than it's book value since it has a $15k wheelchair lift that I wanted included in the coverage. I'm paying for it but it was important to me to have it covered in case of a catastrophic accident or fire.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
KMG
Winnebago Camper

All of my home and auto including my new Micro Minnie 2405RL are insured with American Family. $400 a year for the RV.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. Will look into Progressive and American Family for TT coverage.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check out Good Sam RV Insurance. I have a 2401RG and pay $91 a year on a bundled policy. When you are not using the RV you and put it in storage mode and they will cut you a reimbursement check. You will still be covered for fire, theft, etc. When taking it out of storage a minimum of 1 month is required before putting it back in.
If you have your RV financed your bank may not allow the storage mode.
Sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Team

We joined Family Motor Coach Association and FMCA offers a lot of benefits to RVers. We used their RV insurance service to get us the best price. They do all the shopping for you.

We currently have Progressive and they’ve been good.

Don’t forget to ask for “full replacement coverage”. RVs deprecate so much in the first few years that if you don’t a wreck could really leave you under water.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

initially had a quote from Good Sam that was approx $400 a year. That sounds high to me!!
Maybe need to look at this again.
Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine was just added to my current auto policy, Patron’s Oxford... comparing prices can be difficult, everyone has variables, levels of coverage, other policies grouped, umbrella coverage, etc... Talk to a qualified agent that you feel you can trust and make the best choice for your circumstances. My agent is someone I’ve known since grammar school !
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our car/house, etc is with State Farm. Heard that is not the way to go for the RV insurance ????
Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We are insured through State Farm. Super easy to get and no problems. We pay $361 per year. Great coverage. Had to use them bringing home our Voyage Lite. There was no problems at all with our claim.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

+1 for State Farm, just insured our new 2019 2455BHS with them. Also have Home and Auto, so it was a no brainer for us.
Jello4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We already used Progressive for auto insurance and added the RV to our policy. Though they do treat the RV as a separate policy/account.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My RV insurance investigation revealed that Progressive via USAA (assuming you are eligible for USAA) was the best option.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2108DS last spring and had it added to our Allstate auto policy. Our auto policy renewed January and the yearly premium for the 2108DS is $259.48.

Which includes:
Collision up to $30,855 and $500 deductible.
Comprehensive up to $30,855 and $250 deductible.

Of course we have all of our insurance through Allstate to take advantage of all the discounts we are entitled to.

Brian
RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Be sure to get replacement cost.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just bought a used 2109 2108DS and insured through Safeco $305 or the whole year. Through an insurance agency called HI-SAGE Marketing, Inc. in San Diego that La Mesa RV pointed me to.
mikecaretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I am a full-time rv'er. My original coverage was thru Safeco. They had good coverage but didn't cover the contents on the RV. After a year or so, my agent came back to me and told me that Safeco wouldn't cover full-time RV living.

She looked around and found the Progressive does cover my case, and in fact, can provide coverage for the contents of the RV as well. I brought some pricey music gear and cameras, etc so it's nice to get coverage for all of that in case of tornado, fire or whatever. They also have roadside assistance dfor a resonable cost that covers the RV and whatever I tow.

I have never had to make a claim for roadside or wreck, so I can't vouch for how well they come through. I did have a cat, yes a cat... break my windshield and had it replaced for $0. In Florida, state law requires no deductable on windshields. Don't know about other states.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote