Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do you lift your camper if it has the factory kit built in?

I have a 2019 2306BHS. It did not come with the off-road package, so it has the lowest lift level. This would not be an issue for me except that the sewer pipe is so low. I have not banged it on anything that I know of, but at many campsites, the sewer hookup is higher than the sewer pipe! Also, if I camp with no hookups, my honey wagon for greywater is higher than the pipe, and I have to do the slinky dance to get it to go in well. So, When I look at the axels, it does have the ability to be raised and includes the angle support brackets. I just need to be able to unbolt the axel and move it to a different hole. I was thinking about getting two floor jacks, one on each side of the trailer, and chucking the tires. Unbolting the axels, and slowly raising the two jacks with the tongue jack until the axels are aligned with the proper bolt hole.

I asked my dealer I bought it from about it a year ago and they said they didn't have the knowledge or the equipment to do it with. I asked them if they had a document from Winnebago that talked about pounds of torque, they said they would check, but each time I had followed up with them, they said they had forgotten.

Has anyone done this? Do you have tips?
Anthropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropod View Post
I asked my dealer I bought it from about it a year ago and they said they didn't have the knowledge or the equipment to do it with. I asked them if they had a document from Winnebago that talked about pounds of torque, they said they would check, but each time I had followed up with them, they said they had forgotten.
Knowledge? Equipment? I did this in my driveway with five jack stands and one floor jack.

Quote:
The best tip I can give you is find another dealer to work on your rig.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

“ The best tip I can give you is find another dealer to work on your rig.” yeah that’s pretty sound advice.

I’ve got a floor jack, and 4 jack stands, I can pick another up. What was your basic procedure?
Anthropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did a ton of research before we purchased our Winnie, there are a ton of youtube videos showing how to raise the suspensions. Without pictures it is hard for me to see what you are describing, however, as stated above I would find another dealer or an independent RV repair shop that will do it for you. With so many lifted trucks out there pulling travel trailers and 5th wheels, the procedure is fairly common.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I suspect the true story is that the dealer does not want to move into that grey area where he is prone to getting legal problems if the trailer flips over. Raining things like trucks and trailers does shift the balance higher and does let it tip more easily.
I might first want to think of the safety aspect and look at what might be done to change the sewer pipe layout.
Possible to cut it to have a shorter run and that lets it wind up higher, even if further from the normal location?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I raised mine by pulling both front wheels up a ramp until rear wheels were in the air . Did the installation and then doing the fronts in same manor .Leave it hooked to truck all the time .
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am flabbergasted that your dealer told you that. Absolute BS. We paid our dealer an hour of labor to do the lift for us. We have the exact same unit you do. I agree it should be standard and for 2020 I am reading that it is!
seaninnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
I did a ton of research before we purchased our Winnie, there are a ton of youtube videos showing how to raise the suspensions. .
I'm usually pretty good at searching for things, but I couldn't find a single video. Could someone provide a link?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninnj View Post
I am flabbergasted that your dealer told you that. Absolute BS. We paid our dealer an hour of labor to do the lift for us. We have the exact same unit you do. I agree it should be standard and for 2020 I am reading that it is!
Did you retain the 14" wheels, and if so, how did that look?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Is anyone concerned that lifting makes the trailer more top heavy, and may increase wind drag? If tearing up the waste plumbing is the main concern, shouldn't someone come up with a "skid plate" or "skid bar" to protect them? Stock Minnies already sit higher than some other brands (like my old Prowler).
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
2019 1706fb

Quote:
I have a 2019 2306BHS. It did not come with the off-road package, so it has the lowest lift level. This would not be an issue for me except that the sewer pipe is so low. I have not banged it on anything that I know of, but at many campsites, the sewer hookup is higher than the sewer pipe! Also, if I camp with no hookups, my honey wagon for greywater is higher than the pipe, and I have to do the slinky dance to get it to go in well. So, When I look at the axels, it does have the ability to be raised and includes the angle support brackets. I just need to be able to unbolt the axel and move it to a different hole. I was thinking about getting two floor jacks, one on each side of the trailer, and chucking the tires. Unbolting the axels, and slowly raising the two jacks with the tongue jack until the axels are aligned with the proper bolt hole.

I had Merrill Axle in Lakewood CO lift my 2017 1706fb using factory lift blocks. I think it was $600 labor. Too much trbl for me, and I was told the axles need to be aligned afterward to prevent scrubbing (made sense).

They would have fab'd blocks for me but the factory ones did fine for the same reason you want - sewage pipe hangs too low. I kept the stock 14" wheel/tire combo, but certainly a 15" combo will lift it more.

I noticed a slight decrease in fuel mileage, didn't notice much difference in handling, there should be some but hard to quantify.

If you order the factory lift blocks they should come with all hardware and instructions including torque values.
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote