Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hard wired surge protector, Minnie Plus 27RPDS

.Anyone have this model and installed a hard wired surge protector? I’m having a hard time finding a place to mount it.
Looks like most likely scenario is to pull the breaker panel and run a pigtail up into the bottom of the pantry??
Any ideas most welcomed.
Larry

ETA - Apparently I can’t edit the subject? It’s a 27 RBDS, my apologies
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Since I wanted a Progressive EMS, I decided to get an external unit so that my significant investment followed me and not the trailer should I decide to move to something else.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Now I’m kinda’ wishing I had gone that rout as well. The reports of them being stolen swayed me to the HW model.
I purchased the surge protector in anticipation of the TT purchase so I could get it installed right away. All the YT videos I watched showed an access panel of some sorts so I assumed.......there would be one. I know.....

I keep the camper in storage so my ability to work on it is limited, I’ll delve into it a little deeper this weekend.
The side of the bathroom vanity is against the wall that the breaker panel is located, hoping I can run a camera in and find the wire. If so I can mount the unit there and run the remote into the pantry maybe.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have the Progressive external unit, also. I have a locking cable which I can use to lock the unit to the pedestal. Or use a longer cable and lock to my trailer.
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Since it’s so hard for me to find time to work on the Minnie, I decided to return the hard wired unit (ain’t Amazon great) and ordered the external one.
I’ll get a cable lock for it.
Thanks for the suggestions, this just made life a little easier.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yup, Amazon is great. My fav supplier of trailer stuff!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I went with the hard-wired Progressive 30 amp surge protector. I installed it on our travel trailer after a surge trashed our microwave and transferred it from the trailer to our Suncruiser 35U. If you can change an electrical outlet in your house, you can install one of these.

Note that the surge suppressor module is replaceable so you don't have to replace the whole unit. I don't believe this is true of the external/portable units.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On the portable units, they ship you a new unit and you return the defective one.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I went with the hard-wired Progressive 30 amp surge protector. I installed it on our travel trailer after a surge trashed our microwave and transferred it from the trailer to our Suncruiser 35U. If you can change an electrical outlet in your house, you can install one of these.

Note that the surge suppressor module is replaceable so you don't have to replace the whole unit. I don't believe this is true of the external/portable units.

On my camper there is no easy access to install the HW unit. I’m sure I could cut things apart and get it done but just don’t have the time or place to do it.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Winniehurn

Hard Wired 50 Amp Progressive Surge Protector

I installed above unit in our 27RBDS behind circuit breaker under pantry. It was a snug fit, but has worked out great. 50 amp feed cable is 6 gauge, so was tough to bend as needed. Other than that, installation was not bad. Instructions provided were very good.

Note that the Progressive unit protects lots more than surge protection such as under voltage, etc. and has in indoor monitor which I find very handy. Unit would not be difficult to remove if we every decide to upgrade RV.
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The Progressive Industries EMS HW30C is the first accessory that I purchased for our 2250DS when we bought it last March. I think it or a similar one is a necessity. The instructions that came with it were good and I had no trouble wiring it in. Fortunately it sits right above the power panel so the wiring run was very short.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I suggest putting and outlet set on the input and output of the EMS. When it fails you can simply bypass it with the moving of a plug.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Use one outlet at the end of the shore cord, a plug on the input of the EMS, a outlet on the output of the EMS and a plug to the ATS.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Nice Winniehurn!!
I was not willing to tear into that breaker panel with my situation. I keep the camper at a storage unit and can’t bring it home to work on it.

Bigbird, yours looks like a similar arrangement to the RBDS, looks great!

I ended up getting the portable unit.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

This idea seems to make a lot of sense, but I'm having trouble picturing it. Could you send photos?
johneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #15
Winniehurn

Progressive 50 Amp Surge Protection in 27RBS

Sorry, cannot send picture now - RV is in storage. Also, Progressive is mounted in a void area behind circuit breaker panel, so no way to get picture without some dis-assembly.

27RBDS has a pantry closet with circuit breaker panel at floor level below lowest pantry self. Pantry is about in middle of RV about 13 feet from main power supply. Incoming 6 gage main power supply (from driver's side rear of trailer) comes upward into breaker panel from below floor. In the 27RBDS, the breaker panel compartment allows enough room to fit Progressive unit into it. Connect incoming power to incoming Progressive terminal. Tie outgoing Progressive terminal to incoming terminal of circuit breaker panel. I chose to add external display, so ran short wire up into pantry closet mounting display on inside pantry wall. Display access here is handy to verify initial hookup OK and for electrical troubleshooting if needed. Being inside pantry eliminates annoying constant data flashing in living space.

Please note that this installation was tight, but not terribly so. Other Winnie layouts will likely be different so far as available spaces for internal mounting. This is our first Winnie, so had to do a bit of exploring to find acceptable space for Progressive Unit. Recommend keeping electrical units like this away from potential water leak locations such as under sinks, etc.

Hope this helps, sorry about lack of photo availability. Please feel free to call me at 910-581-6623 if I can assist in any way.
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much. I will take a couple photos and post here this weekend.
johneed is offline   Reply With Quote