Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

The "EZ" in the name is a great sales promotion banking on the human nature that people these days are inclined to take the "EZ" method of maintenance. As my Dad always reminded me "take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you" Early in life 20 years plus of semi's and heavy equipment. Then a turn in life and 16+ years depending on my patrol car and I learned that Dad was 100% correct......I always practiced what he preached.
Doing it the "EZ" way keeps a owner from visually inspecting bearings for signs of excessive heat or wear. Shooting new grease in to chase out the old grease eliminates a visual inspection of vital parts.
Many new and prospective RV owners today are not use to getting their hands dirty. Proper PM by a owner requires some effort, dirty hands, time or finding a qualified mechanic to do it for them. For those who don't have the ability etc. I would recommend your local dealer that sells livestock trailers, farm equipment, truck repair etc. They're use to dealing with bearings.
Doing things the "EZ" way and the best way are usually two different things. The things I will not overlook, skimp on, or take the "EZ" way out on are tires, bearings, brakes.
Of course I am "old fashioned, over the hill, not in touch with reality" as my kids like to remind me of
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
The "EZ" in the name is a great sales promotion banking on the human nature that people these days are inclined to take the "EZ" method of maintenance.

Yep, everything that is easy is bad...… So is anything that is new - despite how many miles have proven otherwise...

[COLOR="Red"]Doing it the "EZ" way keeps a owner from visually inspecting bearings for signs of excessive heat or wear. Shooting new grease in to chase out the old grease eliminates a visual inspection of vital parts./COLOR]

Yep, those RV bearings get tens of thousands of miles of use on them every year. Just like the OTR rigs my two brothers drive. But, their trailers have oil bath lubed axles. They'll easily go 100K miles between bearing inspections. The Dexter axles are usually supplied with good Timken or NSK bearings from the start. I don't know about AlKo or Lippert. No need to inspect them every year or 3K miles as long as you've maintained them as per the directions.

Many new and prospective RV owners today are not use to getting their hands dirty.

Whether or not you're used to getting your hands dirty - if their is something that works for the duty cycle you expose your rig to, why not use it? I remember when all we had were seamed metal roofs. I embraced the rubber roofs (EPDM, then TPO) as soon as they came out. No more using Cool Patch on the roof every year, no more leaks. I love the fiberglass roof on our Sightseer.
Can't fight progress!
I love fuel injection, radial LT tires, EZ Lube Axles and torsion springs!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Can't fight progress!
I love fuel injection, radial LT tires, EZ Lube Axles and torsion springs!
I'm afraid fuel injection is way far from anything new, many discussions pro & con on LT Tires, I would much rather visually inspect and hold the bearings in my hand to make sure they're good.
To each their own but when it comes to running gear I'll stay to the old proven maintenance.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote