Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator

New to travel trailer—winni 2455bhs—former view owner. I find instructions for the class c so comprehensive vs travel trailer with minimal. My question regards hooking up a small generator—just for the basics. How do I do that? In the view it was easy as it had its own and just pressed the buttons. But if my battery dies and I still want lights how do I hook up a small generator. I’m thinking the likes of Honda 2000 for lights—maybe heat? I’m clueless and feel stupid so pls set me straight. Thanks much
Lmbeau08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just plug your shore power cord into the generator, making sure the exhaust is pointed safely away from your trailer. You'll probably need an adapter to go from your shore power cord to the generator's 15A outlet.

The new Hondas are 2,200 watts instead of 2,000 watts: https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Wa...a-715745034929
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

You will just need a 30 amp RV to 110V plug adapter available at most hardware, Walmart stores. You will be able to run everything except Air Conditioner, Electric water heater option, Microwave may work if you run the fridge on gas. Battery charging, Fridge, Gas heater, lights should all run fine.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Japan made generators, Honda or Yamaha, will cost you a bit more up front but you'll never have trouble starting one, they are quiet, they have inverter technoligy that makes them more fuel efficient, and they have cast iron cylinder block sleeves so they last. You'll have no trouble selling one down the road for good resale value if you ever don't need it anymore.

If you get a 3,000 Watt Generator you'll be able to start and run the AirCond too, but the down side is that at size it gets very heavy to handle by one person, and may become too large to fit in any storage compartments. That's why a lot of folks that want to run AirCond go with two 2K generators and a special cable that allows the two generators to run in parallel sync mode and have a 30 A shore cable outlet and be able to split the AirCond startup current and loads.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pairing is a good idea but, if you're lucky, depending on the power rating of your A/C, the 2200i might just do it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Honda 2200 - note that 2200 is the surge output and 1800 watts is the continuous output. You might have to change the starting capacitor in your 13,500 BTU AC to a soft start capacitor to get it to start your AC. It helps to switch off the TT 12 volt converter charger circuit breaker during AC compressor startup so the full 2200 watts surge output is available to the AC. The TT 12 volt converter charger can draw 500 to 600 watts when it first sees AC applied if batteries are less than 80% charged.

The 13,500 AC power draw will drop down to the 1000 to 1300 watt range once it's running.

The other consideration is that some microwave ovens require a large surge output to start up. I know a 2,000 watt inverter would not start up the microwave oven in my Vista, and I had upgrade it to a 3,000 watt inverter to get the microwave to start up reliably.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator