Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have an 03 35 sun cruiser with tow package. Does anyone know if the controller for trailer brakes can just be plugged in under the dash like on the newer trucks? thanks -JOHN

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an 03 35 sun cruiser with tow package. Does anyone know if the controller for trailer brakes can just be plugged in under the dash like on the newer trucks? thanks -JOHN

Old 05-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My 2000 model F-250 just had the wire ends available to connect to the plug harness which Ford included. Our Horizon has *I think* the plug end already installed on the wiring harness (which I located on the left side of the dash floor area.) It's been a few months since looked at the harness.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have a Ford Chassis, yes, the plug is there under the dash. It's the other end that's a bit of work. The wires are there, under the coach, but they don't go back to the hitch connector as Winnebago only installed a 6 pin connector.

But we don't know what you have, Workhorse or Ford...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis came with a 6 pin trailer connector and it works with electric brakes. When it came from the factory only 5 of the 6 terminals in the socket had wires running to them. The one not attached was for the electric brakes.

The wire was supplied by Ford but was folded back in the harness about 3' - 4' from the rear of the coach. I called Winnebago and was told that the only time it is connected is by the dealer when a customer orders an electric trailer brake.

When opening the flap on the socket on the back of the coach the wires in ours are as follows:
12:00 - Lights
2:00 - Tailer Brakes
4:00 - Left Directional & Brake light
8:00 - Right Dierctional & Brake Light
10:00 - Ground
Center- 12 volt hot (can be used to power internal trailer lights)

Our Expedition has a 7 pin connector and the 7th pin is used for charging a battery in a trailer. Even though I ordered the truck with the towing package I had to have the dealer plug the relay into the box on the left inner fender to get it to work.

Here's a link to eTrailer.com:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

They explain the basic wiring for 4, 5, 6, and 7 pin connectors. They also have a disclaimer that says all trailer wiring is not "standard".
Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a W-22 chassis.- John

Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When I wired my brake controller I ran the wires myself as they are not there. I ran the positive and negative wires directly to the battery. I ran a wire that is for the brake switch all the way to rear of coach and spliced into 3rd brake light wire because there are too many wires on brake switch inside coach. I also ran a blue wire all the way to the rear and connected it into 6 way receptacle. While opening splice noticed white wire was not connected so I connected it to receptacle. I matched blue wire connection on receptacle to one on plug of trailer. I also changed some of the other wires on plug of my trailers light wiring as I tow more than one trailer. When connecting positive wire to battery make sure you use an inline fuse or circuit breaker.

One other thing I did was to install an extension to existing receptacle as it was hard to reach in to connect plug. I purchased a female plug and male receptacle and wired it with a short piece of trailer wire and mounted male end in opening under bumper. It is much easier to to connect now.

Please note that LED on controller stays on while plug is conncted. If I stay overnight without shore power and the trailer is conected I unplug trailer until I am ready to leave again. This is when trailer is left connected to RV.

Hope this answers your question and if I can be of further help send me a private message.

One last thing use a #10 or #12 gauge wire for trailer brake wire (blue). In fact I used all #10 gauge wires.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote