Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are interested in adding a drop sunshade on our automatic awning. I emailed Dometic's customer care and they said that it is possible, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this. If so, how does it work? What do you stand on to attach it, do you remove it when you roll it up, what drop length did you choose, etc.?
NoDakKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are interested in adding a drop sunshade on our automatic awning. I emailed Dometic's customer care and they said that it is possible, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this. If so, how does it work? What do you stand on to attach it, do you remove it when you roll it up, what drop length did you choose, etc.?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am considering Promp RV Sunscreen. They have a 2 piece system that looks good. Go to www.rvsunscreen.com.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I made my own. I don't leave it rolled up though when traveling. Seems a bit bulky and don't care to risk having the winds catch the awning.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. How do you reach your awning in order to attach the sunscreen? It looks like it takes 2 people to slip the beads into the awning slot so it doesn't tear.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

I know this is a 'no brainer', but considering it hasn't been mentioned or discussed here, make sure you turn the wind sensor toggle switch off so the awning doesn't try to roll up. On a couple occasions mine has rolled up with a slight breeze, I've heard they'll do that sometimes due to how the roof sensor mis-interprets a temperature change as a change in wind speed.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NoDakKid:
Thanks for the replies. How do you reach your awning in order to attach the sunscreen? It looks like it takes 2 people to slip the beads into the awning slot so it doesn't tear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have a drop screen we occasionally use with our Weather Pro awning. It does take 2 of us to guide the screen into the track in the roller tube - one to push the bead into the track and one to hold the screen up as it approaches the track so it doesn't bind. The material is tough enough that it probably won't tear, but it just won't go in unless someone helps guide it. Our awning is about 7' from the ground when fully extended, so we can put it up using a one-step stool.

You will need to measure the height of the roller tube above the ground with the awning fully extended to determine the proper length screen for your awning. We bought a shade that is 6 1/2' high so it ends up about 6-8" from the ground, but you could easily go somewhat shorter. However, ours came with stakes and bungee cords to tie the bottom down and you would need longer bungees if the bottom of the screen is farther from the ground.

If you are going to tie the bottom of the screen down (I recommend this to prevent the bottom from swinging around too much), Hitchhiker is absolutely correct - you must switch off the roof sensor so the awning doesn't try to roll up and burn out the motor or strip the gears. The motor assembly for the Weather Pro costs several hundred dollars and they say won't sell it to you for safety reasons. That means you will also have to pay an authorized service center to install the new motor if you burn one out.

Because you have to disable the sensor, we don't use our drop shade much. We won't leave it on the awning if we are away from the campsite.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You might do a search on this forum. One guy did a pretty neat job of attaching a short piece of material to the slot of the tube (it stayed there and rolled up with the awning.) This piece had grommeted holes in it that hung down about a foot. He would use a ladder to install a hanging shade (it had matching gromment holes) to this piece by weaving a small cord through it. The cord was long enough so he'd let it hang down far enough so he could reach it from the ground. If the wind or whatever got bad he'd just pull the cord out and the shade would just fall to the ground.

I'm pretty sure he had pictures also. Another option might be velcro.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I saw a Weather Pro user that used velcro to attach the sunshade to the awning roller. He staked the other side to the ground. If the awning automatically retracted the velcro released and the sunshade fell to the ground. He also used a long handled pick up device to attach the sunshade to the awning. No ladder needed.

I bought swimming pool enclosure screening a couple years ago in FL but never made a sunshade. I always get a site with the awning side facing east. Only get the morning sun.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by comp-time:
I am considering Prompt RV Sunscreen. They have a 2 piece system that looks good. [/URL]. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In my opinion Prompt RV Sunscreen is the easiest product to apply on the front of the coach without your feet leaving the ground. I know Bill Rex from Prompt and he's a very nice guy. If you call him and tell him you saw his sponsorship AD on iRV2.com you'll get a special discount or other incentive.

Tell Bill that Mike sent ya!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have the Weather-Pro Automatic awning and sometimes use a drop shade.

We got it at Camping World, sorry can't remember the price. To put it in the track on the awning does take two and standing on a picnic bench is high enough. We have a front passenger slide so our awning is one of those that is almost as high as the coach.

If we are going to be parked awhile we use it and do NOT stake it down so the awning can roll up if need be due to weather or whatever else. It will roll up fine in the awning but we felt like the awning didn't lock down as tight with it in there so we do NOT travel with the shade rolled in the awning.

If we are moving site to site or to a dump station or something like that we do leave the shade in the awning.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

A lot of good suggestions! I've looked into Prompt RV and it does sound like a good solution because of it's 2-pieces. I got an email from them which explained how their system works. We also turn our sensor off so it doesn't roll up constantly, but only when we're there to watch it in case the wind gets up. Our extended awning is almost as high as the top of our coach too, so I also like the velcro suggestion. We too try to get a site with the door facing east, but that's not always possible, and the sites where we can use our satellite always seem to be in the sunniest areas of the parks, naturally. Thanks again for all the replies!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

One of the problems with the sunscreen is that once it's up, it's up and you can't "move" it out of the way when not needed.

When I got mine I ran grommets across the top somewhere around 18" spacing and bought those CW awning channel toy hangers attached with small quick-links. Now when the sun is down, or it's an exceptional sunset I can pull it to either side of the tube and it will gather up like a curtain.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We bought our drop from Sunpro. Owned it now for a couple of years and it still looks new. Need a ladder to slide it in the awning groove, use bungees in the grommets to stakes in the ground and turn off wind sensor. Slides out in 5 sec. to remove. We do not roll it up with the awning.

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Comp-time, have you ordered your 2-piece sunshade from Prompt RV? We've still not made a decision about which way we want to go. The 2-piece sounds good, so does the suggestion from SCVJeff with the curtain idea. With the party hangers you could also add extra hangers and have your lights up at the same time.