Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dometic refridge failing on gas,,

Every time we switch our domestic to gas the checklite comes on. Sometimes we have to reset it 4 or 5 timesto drive 200miles by turning fridge off and on again. This is in auto switch position. Anyone have insight to this issue? Thanks, willie

2019. 2106fbs
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like the burner isn't lighting. I only had that occur once and it was after the trailer had been sitting with the gas turned off and I had forgotten to purge gas lines of air. The fridge wasn't able to get gas to the burner within a set number of attempts so it set the check light and stopped trying.

If you set the fridge to gas when at a campsite does it still turn on the check light?

Have you checked the burner and chimney to be sure they are clean and clear? Bugs and wasps are known to build nests in them. Could be just enough to stop the burner from lighting while driving.

Are you at high altitude? I know some refrigerators require a high altitude orifice for 5K ft and above and some just won't work at

7 - 8 K ft and above.

Since it should still be under warranty if it isn't something simple like a blockage I would let the dealer handle it.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the tips. Altitude could play a role as we live at 5000 feet and often travel above that. Anyway, will be taking it to dealer. Thanks again,,,
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hey Rancher, Mike. 11 Months New to RV and 25 days as a Full timer. I have had the same issue's. When I looked at my command certer. I found a DSI FLT (Fault). This happen to me with my Dometic 6.2 Cu. Ft. Frig/Freezer combo. I would go get my Unit out of storage and Knowing it takes really over night to get cold cold, Turn on the Frig on Gas after opening my Propane tank valves. I am not sure how to "Reset it" (please share that process with me), but It worked correctly the next trip.

What I did was I hooked up my RV to my Truck, turned on the Propane, went inside and turned on a stove burner, waited aout 5-7 seconds and started turning the spark/ignite knob and usually got a flame in 3-10 seconds. Once this worked I would turn the stove off, close the top etc... and then I would Turn he Frig on Gas only, in transit, and wait until I was set up at camp to change the Frig to auto. IDK maybe this was purging the lines of air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_11b1.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	170320  
RR_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR_Mike View Post
Hey Rancher, Mike. 11 Months New to RV and 25 days as a Full timer. I have had the same issue's. When I looked at my command certer. I found a DSI FLT (Fault). This happen to me with my Dometic 6.2 Cu. Ft. Frig/Freezer combo. I would go get my Unit out of storage and Knowing it takes really over night to get cold cold, Turn on the Frig on Gas after opening my Propane tank valves. I am not sure how to "Reset it" (please share that process with me), but It worked correctly the next trip.

What I did was I hooked up my RV to my Truck, turned on the Propane, went inside and turned on a stove burner, waited aout 5-7 seconds and started turning the spark/ignite knob and usually got a flame in 3-10 seconds. Once this worked I would turn the stove off, close the top etc... and then I would Turn he Frig on Gas only, in transit, and wait until I was set up at camp to change the Frig to auto. IDK maybe this was purging the lines of air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had a similar problem a few months back. It was under warranty so we took it back to the dealer. It turned out to be that the thermocouple was not correctly positioned in the pilot light.

Best of luck, it drove us crazy until we got it fixed.
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I apologize for not knowing proper names of parts..
2 months after purchase I was camping and smelled rubber burning. I went outside and pulled off panel behind frig. The rubber gas line was right up against the metal box that ignites and was melting. The shop changed the line to copper. I sent pictures to Winnebago and called them also. This was a scary fire hazard and they needed to know. I got no response but a check for the 140.00 repair bill.
Elgann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, gas