Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #21

“You could add another batt as well which is what I would do...” MAY BE!

Adding another battery of the same age, size and type is fine. Otherwise no.

Optima says at https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...el...”We would strongly discourage anyone from connecting batteries in series or parallel applications, if the batteries are not identical in age, size and type” and “The same is also true of batteries that are identical in every way, except that one battery is older than the other.”
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Your TV can charge your trailers batteries. If you need to put the slide in manually, you should see a 3/4" grommet about center of your campside, insert your stabilizer wrench and crank the slide in.
RVLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #23

Yes, but without modification TV charging rate is very low.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Very true larry, but enought to get the slide in. That's why we carry Honda's and Solar panels.
RVLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #25

RVLV, sorry I didn't say that I also carry a backup inverter 2000 watt generator. Haven't needed it in the last 60 days of camping but it comes with me.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

If you decide on a generator, hopefully you will decide on a Honda. They're dependable, effective and, most importantly to you and your neighbors -- quiet. Honda now has a new model, the 2200i at pretty much the same price but higher output than the venerable 2200i.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

LarryW,

Sorry to say but drilling holes in the roof of your rig is invasive- that's only the beginning. Where did you mount your controller and other "parts"? See what I mean? You'll also have to do trips up on the roof much more often than usual as well- cleaning, tilting, re caulking, etc, etc.

Obviously one would do a survey before buying all the pieces needed to put together an effective system (at least it would be common sense to me). People who have solar in their rigs are never done...if you say you are- are you really truthful about it? I'm talking about repairs and maint. as well. Look in these forums- almost no one is ever done with their system...they swap controllers, add batteries, panels, upgrade inverters, wiring....you name it Larry.

I forgot the other downfalls but I think you see now. I'll embrace almost anything that truly makes rv'ing more enjoyable but not at the cost of added chores and expense. Yes, expense. Really knowledgeable people will give you a cost break down of the whole thing. In my case for instance- 2 or 3 thousand dollars would be a ball park figure. Go look at some costs on line. I can buy an inverter generator for much less that is quiet and easy to use...I'll have to put gas in it and do maint over the years too but with a generator I can justify it.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

A generator is a much better choice economically for most. I live in hurricane country and a highly wooded area with above ground electric for the neighborhood feed. The same generator will keep the household fridge & freezer working for the day or two of 90 degree temps it takes to get the electric back up. In The winter after an ice storm it can run a space heater or two depending upon its size. A solar unit on the trailer is just that, solar on the trailer. And no you don't pack up and drive to a warmer or cooler place when you have other responsibilities or can't get out of your driveway.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Dry Camping

What your asking about is called Dry Camping. Dry Camping requires some additional preparations from a hookup camping site. Your correct in being concerned about the battery capacity. I believe your camper came with a single group 24 or maybe a group 27 single battery. The quick solution to the question is that yes you will need to address the battery issue, especially if yours is a group 24 battery. The first step is to ask how much money do you want to spend to be prepared?

The most cost effective solution is to add a second group 24 battery if you have an existing group 24 battery. This will more than double your amp hour battery life or the service time on the battery. Yes it will also help the motor out for the slide. Second is to carry a set of jumper cables for jumping the battery from your truck so you can retract the slide if you do run down the battery or batteries. Third is to buy that generator. It’s the best friend you’ll have when dry Camping. Make sure it’s an inverted generator. I prefer the 3500 watt unit from Harbor Frieght. It is now priced at $699.00 and it will run the whole trailer electrical system including your AC. It’s over $1000 less than the Yamaha unit. The 2000 watt units are nice and light but they will not run your AC unit and don’t come with a 30 amp outlet like the 3500 watt unit from Harbor Freight or any other source. You will also need a 30 amp RV adapter to 30 amp residential locking plug. To connect the trailer using your shore power cable.

Happy ⛺️ Camping.
Medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Bob, I purchased a 3100i Champion with remote start. Keep ten set locked in bed of truck with hard tonneau cover. Just drop rail gate for air circulation and exhaust. Very quite, but nice to perk coffee without going out to start ten set
Frank
W 69947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

No, when the sun burns out what good will the panels do?
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
LarryW,

Sorry to say but drilling holes in the roof of your rig is invasive- that's only the beginning. Where did you mount your controller and other "parts"? See what I mean? You'll also have to do trips up on the roof much more often than usual as well- cleaning, tilting, re caulking, etc, etc.

Obviously one would do a survey before buying all the pieces needed to put together an effective system (at least it would be common sense to me). People who have solar in their rigs are never done...if you say you are- are you really truthful about it? I'm talking about repairs and maint. as well. Look in these forums- almost no one is ever done with their system...they swap controllers, add batteries, panels, upgrade inverters, wiring....you name it Larry.

I forgot the other downfalls but I think you see now. I'll embrace almost anything that truly makes rv'ing more enjoyable but not at the cost of added chores and expense. Yes, expense. Really knowledgeable people will give you a cost break down of the whole thing. In my case for instance- 2 or 3 thousand dollars would be a ball park figure. Go look at some costs on line. I can buy an inverter generator for much less that is quiet and easy to use...I'll have to put gas in it and do maint over the years too but with a generator I can justify it.

Kind of funny. An person who doesn't and won't use solar expounding on problems with installing solar, based on what was read on the internet.
Almost identical to someone who has never traveled in a RV expounding on why traveling and staying a hotels and eating in a restaurant is much better, cheaper and easier than having an RV, based what they read on the internet about problems people have with with RV's.

I designed and installed solar systems on my last 2 RV's and have not modified them after they were installed. My current system is lithium batteries and I love them.

As far as usefulness, we travel 5-9 months of the year. In 2016 we took a 4 1/2 month trip to Alaska. We only had electric hook ups for 2 nights and only ran the generator to charge the batteries 1 day for a couple of hours because of several days of heavy cloud cover. We use our microwave, a toaster, satellite TV receiver, 32" LED TV, 2 laptops, cell phones, DW's CPAP every night, etc. Also DW is handicapped and uses a power wheel chair or her large 4 wheel power scooter when we are away from the RV. All charging of her power devices are done from the RV batteries which are recharged from solar.

Yep, solar is wonderful IF you take the time to do your research and do the proper install and sizing.

BTW we don't tilt our solar panels. I do go up on the roof every few weeks to clean the solar panels. I left plenty of room to walk around the panels so I can clean and inspect them.

However, if you are only going to dry camp or boondock for 1-3 nights several times a year, then a large solar set up is an expensive addition. A quality quiet inverter generator is one solution. Another solution is portable solar panels you prop up facing the sun and connect directly to the battery works. Doesn't give you the option to run your microwave, toaster, etc, but will keep you lights on, run you gas furnace if it is really cold at night and keep you batteries charged.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Portable Solar Panels is the way to go. Depending on what size battery you have will determine what wattage panels you will need. We have a MH with 2 house batteries and purchased the HQST 100 Watt 12Volt Off Grid Polycrystalline Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with Charge Controller from Amazon. You may be able to use a lower wattage setup. Just set unfold the panels, set them up in then sun and connect to your battery terminals. Hope this helps....
katspau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. Personally I'm for permanently mounted panels, they're working all the time, even while driving, and aren't vulnerable to theft.

In most cases, a permanently installed system will have higher wattage that a portable one. You do, however have to park so the sun hits them (the higher wattage will compensate somewhat for less than ideal exposure). Portables can be easily located and tilted for optimum exposure. Portables are vulnerable to theft unless they're somehow secured to your RV but you use them for applications not involving your RV.

As with many of the questions asked here, there's no one, right answer but several viable options depending on personal preferences, needs and RV'g lifestyle.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #35

Good response, Al!

I agree, BobC!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

When you live in the gulf coast, anything you choose to use is good. Power outage during hurricanes and wind storms, generator works best for me. I would like to get a suitcase type solar system, as i have limited space on camper roof. We have a 20kw whole house Onan generator that runs on propane. (500 gal underground propane tank.)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

We camp without hook up a lot of the time. We fill our water tank up. Our battery lasts a long time using the pump and overhead lights etc. We have been been camping 4 to 5 days no problem.
Bobgin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping