Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cable TV

I'm at a campground that has cable TV which I have connected to the outside hookup. My TV mode keeps wanting to show digital TV. I suspect that I need to also connect the TV's coaxial cable to the output next to the satellite output above the television. Still no signal. I know that Iam missing something obvious and would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know what RV you have, but ours has a switch in the TV cabinet to change from antenna to cable input. Then go to the TV setup menu and change to the correct input and scan for channels.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I think SarahW hit the nail on the head. There should be a push button switch on the wall plate the TV coax attaches to. When it is in antenna mode there will be a light on in the same plate. When the light is off it is in cable TV mode. Not knowing the model of TV you might also have to tell it in the menu that you are using cable and to to scan for those.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
I think SarahW hit the nail on the head. There should be a push button switch on the wall plate the TV coax attaches to. When it is in antenna mode there will be a light on in the same plate. When the light is off it is in cable TV mode. Not knowing the model of TV you might also have to tell it in the menu that you are using cable and to to scan for those.
I have a 2108 DS which is probably the same setup as yours. So I leave the coaxial in the plug that has the push button switch? There is a connection plate for coaxial cable next to this one. Do you know what this is for? I have an Insignia brand TV and it just seems to want to search for satellite stations while in the TV input. Before I try again, I may check with park owner if problems with their end. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The coax with the push button is for use with an antenna or cable. For over the air the switch should be turned on as it provides power to the antenna amplifier as well as over the air signals. When the switch is off you would use the "Park Cable" connection on the outside.

The other coax is for a satellite hookup. I don't know if there is anything special about it but it should be unused if you don't have satellite TV.

I'm just taking a break from house repairs so don't have time to plug in the trailer and see what my TV options are. I might have time after, if, I'm done today otherwise I will try tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

As mentioned, the power booster/amp (button) is for OTA and cable, satellite doesn't go thru the power booster/amp. It is direct from outside connection to DISH/DIRECT TV to TV. But satellite will only work on the main TV and not the outside TV or bedroom.
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I exhausted all options and asked at the camp office if the cable was working at my site. It turns out that I needed a cable box available for use free of charge from the campground office. Might have saved me some trouble if this information was offered at check-in. Oh well, I learned a lot which was the purpose of this inaugural trip! I am very happy with our 2108ds.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I exhausted all options and asked at the camp office if the cable was working at my site. It turns out that I needed a cable box available for use free of charge from the campground office. Might have saved me some trouble if this information was offered at check-in. Oh well, I learned a lot which was the purpose of this inaugural trip! I am very happy with our 2108ds.
Glad you got it figured out.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Shame on the office for not asking if you wanted a cable box when you checked int.
Also, it should be on their handout sheet. Oh! Are we supposed to read them first before setting up. Duh! I never do.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

In this day and age I wouldn't have thought about a converter box. Good to hear it worked out.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Shame on the office for not asking if you wanted a cable box when you checked int.
Also, it should be on their handout sheet. Oh! Are we supposed to read them first before setting up. Duh! I never do.
Their handout sheet was informative but lacked any reference to a cable box. The funny thing was that this fix wasn't immediate. It turns out the previous user of my cable box decided to take the batteries from the remote. I won't even mention what steps I took before checking for batteries!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

During this adventure I read where some antennas have indicator lights to indicate signal strength when adjusting. My particular setup doesn't have this feature and am wondering if anyone has found an aftermarket tool for this task?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Their handout sheet was informative but lacked any reference to a cable box. The funny thing was that this fix wasn't immediate. It turns out the previous user of my cable box decided to take the batteries from the remote. I won't even mention what steps I took before checking for batteries!
ROFL

I do understand. I think I have been there done that all before also!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I did a search on tv signal strenght meter.

I would look seriously at this one: Signal Strength Meter
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
During this adventure I read where some antennas have indicator lights to indicate signal strength when adjusting. My particular setup doesn't have this feature and am wondering if anyone has found an aftermarket tool for this task?
Look at this https://www.campingworld.com/winegar...al-meter-white
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
Thank you!
Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have been reading all the threads. We just purchased a 2401RG and can’t seem to find a booster button. We are at a campground with cable hookup but are unable unable to get cable, just a antenna reception. Does anyone have the same travel trailer and any advice?
Thanks
Suzanne and Tom
Sebagosuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebagosuz View Post
I have been reading all the threads. We just purchased a 2401RG and can’t seem to find a booster button. We are at a campground with cable hookup but are unable unable to get cable, just a antenna reception. Does anyone have the same travel trailer and any advice?
Thanks
Suzanne and Tom
Yes, go to the campground office and ask. They will probably have a much needed cable box to loan you!