Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Buying New Year Old Micro Minnie-Good or Bad?

Recently I looked at several new 2018 Micro Minnies that have sat on the dealer's lot for a year. As far as I can tell they have not received any maintenance other than winterization. Being a first time RV buyer living in a rainy part of the US I am concerned that sitting so long with possibly no maintenance could cause damage that may not show up on a visual inspection.

Should I pass on buying a unit that has sat so long?
What sort of discount should I expect off MSRP?

I appreciate any help.
Photog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maintenance?

If it's not being used why should it need "maintenance"?
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My understanding is that the roof caulking should be redone at least annually to prevent leaks.
Photog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog100 View Post
My understanding is that the roof caulking should be redone at least annually to prevent leaks.
The caulking needs to be inspected annually for any cracks or degradation. I would imagine a 2018 model wouldn't have any issues unless the caulking wasn't applied correctly to begin with. If you have concerns about undetected leaks, some RV inspectors have those moisture meter things that can show where water might be intruding.

I'd consider a "new" 2018, but I'd go in with a lowball offer and see what they counter. Search the internet for similar models and see what's the best price you find. Since brand spankin' new ones can often be had for 20-30% off, they'll likely be willing to deal on the 2018s to get them sold.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Wandering Winnie

I bought my winne in 2017 a leftover 2016 and not one problem. We worked out such a good deal that I could not say no to it. Go in and make an offer, remember it is costing them money and floor space. Work with them and I bet you will get a great deal. Dont worry about leaving sometimes its better to deal over the phone, you are not face to face with salesmem, managers, and the like. I got my best deal over the phone. Good luck I wish you the best.
kc8kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

As has been mentioned give a good look at the roofing sealant as good look over. During our PDI I asked to have a ladder brought out so I could get up on the roof to inspect the sealant myself and the trailer was fresh from the factory. I would do the same for the sealant along all of exterior the trim pieces and joints too as this also needs to be inspected once or twice a year. We also found some places where the factory didn't get sealant. Since they also use butyl caulk water infiltration was unlikely but it needs to be sealed none the less. In general it is just doing the normal maintenance checks all owners should be doing twice a year anyway. You will still have a full warranty so anything you don't find during the PDI can be taken care of later.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Should be OK. I would Eternabond over all roof caulking as soon as I could.

You are right to be concerned. I bought a leftover that had received no maintenance, and it developed a bad leak. I've used Eternabond ever since.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just bought a 2019 and got about 35% off for cash
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If you have concerns about undetected leaks, some RV inspectors have those moisture meter things that can show where water might be intruding.
Can you (or anyone, really) explain what a moisture meter is, and whether I can purchase one myself or is it too expensive for casual users?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Moisture meter:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Too...-Meter/3136919

$29.95
przero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Team

As to discount - certainly over 30% and more like close to 45%. You could expect a 30% discount on a current model year - even a 2019. So, don't let them fool you. Also, don't let them raise the price to a current model year price before giving you a discount. Look up the price for the unit when it was new.

I'd also suggest that you look up the NADA used price for the unit. And work toward that number. I doubt you'll get it for that price but get it as close as you can. I wouldn't accept less that 35% to 40% discount on one over a model year old.

You could expect a 30% discount on a current model year - even a 2019.

They should be desperate to get rid of the RV. Make them prove it with rock bottom pricing.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I promise that if you go back to that dealership in a year, they will only offer the trade in value on a 2 year old unit. I would expect a considerable discount below the usual 30% off.