Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Build quality on new 26RBSS.

We bought a new 26RBSS in December 2017. It sat winterized until April of this year. We've had many build quality problems with it since. 1st trip out, the gravity fill hose leaked water to the inside of the camper. The hose was loose behind the outside wall. Then the latch fell off the screen door. Now the catches for the latches on the outdoor storage areas have come off. Also, the first time I climbed onto the roof, I noticed the heads of 2 screws under the membrane poking up, like they're not driven in completely. I'm still under warranty. The dealer put a hack-job of a fix on the screen door, and I have a warranty claim on the roof, but my biggest concern is that when I see how these broken things were put together, it's obvious that they were destined to fail. These hatch latches were installed with 2 small, short wood screws into a very thin piece of aluminum. It's impossible that it could have lasted very long. I can't be the only one having these issues. I'm fixing these things myself now, except for the roof, because of the lousy job the dealer did on the door. We're thrilled with everything about the camper, except for the build quality. Is anyone else having issues?
RayBob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Joe & Maggie

We have a 30RLSS we picked up in April and have had a laundry list of problems!
1. Fresh Water Pump didn’t work.
2. Kitchen Slide wasn’t balanced and gouged the floor.
3. Wire nut on Main AC was cracked and caused a short.
4. Thremo fuse in refrigerator failed.
5. Seam tape started to come off not enough glue.
6. Windows wouldn’t close all the way unless pushed from the outside.
7. Island facia was cut to long and wasn’t glued on bottom popped off while traveling caught on recliner and broke.
8. Main Door out of alinement and wouldn’t close unless slammed.
9. When we picked up Trailer the Dealer pointed out that counter top was cracked by the stove.

Our dealer Vicar’s RV has been superb in fixing the problems so far everything has been fixed to our satisfaction in fact they have done walk through on everything with my wife and I to make sure everything is fixed correctly.
jpellegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I talked to the dealer today about the cargo doors. He said they've replaced a lot of them, under warranty, with new doors with 2 latches. I emailed pics, and am waiting to see what's next.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 2017 26RBSS in June 2017. The quality has not been what we were used to as we had a Jayco in the past. Seem at front roof caused a leak in March this year as it separated from the roof. I have researched this and it is common. I resealed everything and now no leak. Speaker covers fall off continuously. Screws on outside are all coming out. Walls are not glued together well. I love the layout but I’m very unimpressed with Winnebago so far. I’m hoping it will get better.
leboga2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

From what I have been reading over the past 2 years I think the build quality has gone down on all production RVs. We were set on an Airstream but decided to look at other brands as the Airstreams are cramped, shower too low and the price is very high. After over 2 years on the AS forums I have heard many, many reports of poor build quality on the AS as well. There are some custom made, high end RVs that have a high level of quality but the cost is high. I think to own a modern day production RV it's best to be handy, stuff is going to happen just like on a house. When we finally make our purchase in the near future I have already prepared myself not to have high expectations.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
From what I have been reading over the past 2 years I think the build quality has gone down on all production RVs. We were set on an Airstream but decided to look at other brands as the Airstreams are cramped, shower too low and the price is very high. After over 2 years on the AS forums I have heard many, many reports of poor build quality on the AS as well. There are some custom made, high end RVs that have a high level of quality but the cost is high. I think to own a modern day production RV it's best to be handy, stuff is going to happen just like on a house. When we finally make our purchase in the near future I have already prepared myself not to have high expectations.
100% agree. My experience is that most of this comes with the territory of owning an RV these days. Unfortunately I'm at a point where I'm expecting things to break, leak, and then require costly repairs. Most RVs are made on the cheap to be light (more delicate materials) and cost effective for the Mfg.

For me it comes down to either, buying new so you are covered under some type of warranty or buying used with substantial cost savings but the knowledge that most likely you will be incurring future issues and repairs. With the rapid depreciation of RVs the choice is simple for me. My trailer was 2 1/2 years old, looked like new, and was 60% off its original price. I'll take that and factor in a few repairs over the next 5 years and come out ahead in my opinion, but that's just me.

Surprised about the AS though, figured at that price point they had better be solid.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
100% agree. My experience is that most of this comes with the territory of owning an RV these days. Unfortunately I'm at a point where I'm expecting things to break, leak, and then require costly repairs. Most RVs are made on the cheap to be light (more delicate materials) and cost effective for the Mfg.

For me it comes down to either, buying new so you are covered under some type of warranty or buying used with substantial cost savings but the knowledge that most likely you will be incurring future issues and repairs. With the rapid depreciation of RVs the choice is simple for me. My trailer was 2 1/2 years old, looked like new, and was 60% off its original price. I'll take that and factor in a few repairs over the next 5 years and come out ahead in my opinion, but that's just me.

Surprised about the AS though, figured at that price point they had better be solid.
You come across as pretty optimistic, which is great, and I agree that RVrs need to be somewhat able to handle at least small repairs. But for the manufacturers to be complacent about build quality, and taking that attitude for granted is a recipe for disaster. Just look at the auto industry. What you're describing is their first 60 years, and people demanded better. We did plenty of research before settling on a Winnebago, but to be honest, we let the name influence our decision. Never again. I could have gotten these same problems for much less money.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBob58 View Post
You come across as pretty optimistic, which is great, and I agree that RVrs need to be somewhat able to handle at least small repairs. But for the manufacturers to be complacent about build quality, and taking that attitude for granted is a recipe for disaster. Just look at the auto industry. What you're describing is their first 60 years, and people demanded better. We did plenty of research before settling on a Winnebago, but to be honest, we let the name influence our decision. Never again. I could have gotten these same problems for much less money.
Well, I'm certainly not happy with the way things are in the industry but it's just my observance and experience that they all seem to be the same. When I walk around an RV show and look at the different manufactures and see the same old cheap/light materials in all of them none really seems to be better than the other. In RV forums I see so many people that buy new trailers that immediately have a long punch list of things to be fixed before they even leave the lot much less in the immediate time frame. The manufactures leave the final fixes and quality control up to the dealers which I find odd.

Like you, I did search out the Winnebago brand thinking it would be a notch above the rest. But unfortunately it's not any better than anyone else in my opinion. I like my trailer, like the design and layout but wish they would come up with better materials for cabinetry that isn't so easily damaged. So far, the littlest bit of water damages the "wood" like nothing. My trailer is currently at a dealership 300 miles away awaiting parts to fix water intrusion at the slide out and repairs on all the damaged wood. Water was leaking in the kitchen slide because of damaged rubber gaskets. The wood door jam around the food pantry has swollen up like a blown firecracker - splitting. As well as the wood door jam at the bathroom door which may have been from the shower splashing out. Even a small bit of the "wood" has swelled from a tiny bit of water leaking from the front of the refrigerator. It's very frustrating that this faux-wood cardboard crap they use is so easily damaged. I do understand the stuff is light, but I just wonder if there isn't something better out there that could be used instead.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Here's the cargo door catch I'm having trouble with. Those two wood screws into that thin piece of aluminum is all that hold the door closed. One has already fallen off, and the other is about to. I would be ashamed to put my name on something this poorly designed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_182011.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	170217  
Old 08-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Here's a different perspective. A very poor design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180820_074147.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	170218  
Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here's my fix. I backed up the thin piece of aluminum with 1/8 x 1/2" x 4" flat stock, and used #10 machine screws with locknuts. It's a lot stronger. Ugly, though. It's a in-camp fix, with what tools I had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180820_110818.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	170219  
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Pretty good repair, especially for one on the road!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Cordless tools help a lot. I talked to the dealer today about the cargo doors, and they are going to be replaced under warranty. The new doors will have double latches. Waiting on parts now.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I talked to the dealer today about the cargo doors. He said they've replaced a lot of them, under warranty, with new doors with 2 latches. I emailed pics, and am waiting to see what's next.
Well, I dropped off the camper at the dealer today, as Winnebago is replacing our cargo doors under warranty. Waited about a month for parts. Supposed to be picking it up Thursday afternoon, and heading straight to BBQ on the River in Paducah KY. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

It's surprising that the Winnebago TTs are having these sort of problems. Winnebago claimed when they bought Grand Design that they would take the best of all divisions and share them across. So, by now you would think that better designs for things like cargo doors developed by Grand Design would be starting to work their way into the Winnebago brand TTs.

That said, guess there has to be a difference or why would anyone pay more for a Grand Design brand TT than a Winnebago brand TT?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

These doors are apparently a Lippert part. Funny thing though. So is the screen door latch that fell off on our 1st time out. Maybe I'm on to something.

Name:	20180822_104427.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	170313
Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hello RayBob58. RR_Mike here. I know its HARD, but hang in there, Enjoy your ventures, create memories and the issues will settle down! I know after 11 months.

I Bought my 2017 2455BHS on Oct. 27,2017. Like all the members responding, I had a lot of issues buying new. Looking back, its what I read and learned as I shopped and educated myself, for 6-8 months, before buying. Forum after Forum, the Pro's & Con's of buying New or used.

1) My First 1st day, all my outlets, but one GFI, were not work. I said to myself I can fix this, but I just left the lot & headed 1 hour to an RV Resort, UGH! We know wiring jump's from one receptacle to the next.
2) My slide started skipping, Fridge would not Cool, flickering Light fixtures (not grounded right during manufacturing of my unit).... and more.
3) had my list of trim and etc..... trust me its HARD, you spend good $ and get Shady craftsmanship.
4) Now I am full time and I have 3 water leaks (not roof) Plumbing. I am not even Moving to bounce the unit around! Ha....

I have, a Bad Dealer, for service & I knew it when I bought. The Price they gave me,I could not come near, Nationwide. So I bought the unit, prepared to fight the good fight. WHen calling Winnebago, you will get told, we are sorry, but can find the next closest dealer. Sure that will go great not having bought from them!

My Closing thoughts. I wanted New. Looking back if I had a BIG BANK, I would still go new and deal with the Challenges I have had.

I am gathering a list of tools & things to have onboard. The reality of RVi'ng (Weekend warrior or FT) is, be ready to fix things yourself. I just called my dealer & shared my final list of issues I have (as I have 1 month left-bumper to Bumper). You would think they would wanna JUMP on the money they can make doing this work.They are 1.5-2 weeks backed up. I said, "I am full time", can you get me on the list and Ill come sit 8-10 hours one days after you have all the parts (Ill send pics/videos, etc). I was told NOPE, get a hotel for 2-3 weeks.Your unit must be here to be in line UGH

Hang in there! The Con of new is "We get to deal with the Defects, Tweaking the unit, etc"!

The Benefit, I feel, is in 1-2 years, Ill know my unit up and down, Ill know what was fixed, and it was mine from day one. Clean, new and and mine from Day 1!

God Bless.... keep us posted, RR_Mike

PS, all these unit are the same parts and pieces. Every manufacture shops the few options like Dometic vs Coleman A/C. They are all trying to put the Puzzle together in what they can sell as "The best way"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	170321  
RR_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, RR_Mike, but no one that buys something brand new should have to spend time and money fixing shoddy construction. That may be how it is, but it's not how it should be. That's what drove people to Japanese cars. Would you put up with it if it was your brand new car? But, anyway, I just got a call from the dealer, and they've discovered that the doors Winnebago shipped out are the wrong ones. So I not only wasted a trip there, 150 miles round trip, but I have to wait for new parts, and do it again. They also told me that they've stopped selling Winnebago because of quality issues. I'm considering dumping this thing. Never again will I consider a Winnebago.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Sorry, RR_Mike, but no one that buys something brand new should have to spend time and money fixing shoddy construction. That may be how it is, but it's not how it should be. That's what drove people to Japanese cars. Would you put up with it if it was your brand new car? But, anyway, I just got a call from the dealer, and they've discovered that the doors Winnebago shipped out are the wrong ones. So I not only wasted a trip there, 150 miles round trip, but I have to wait for new parts, and do it again. They also told me that they've stopped selling Winnebago because of quality issues. I'm considering dumping this thing. Never again will I consider a Winnebago.

You brought up an important point. That is it was the threat from Japanese cars that drove quality improvements in US autos. That catalyst doesn't exist with RV's and until it does I don't expect to see any significant improvements in overall quality.

The RV industry as a whole has quality problems. You will find that all of the manufacturers use the same suppliers so the same type of issues occur across multiple brands. They also all work on a piece rate so the worker's main incentive is to get the specified number of units completed and go home not build the best unit they can. No matter the brand it is hit or miss on what problems any new RV will have. Winnebago tends to be one of the better brands out there. I understand your frustration as it frustrates me as well the thing is dumping your current trailer for a new one will likely be a repeat of what you've already run into.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Hi,
I am planning on buying the Minnie Plus in the next couple months. What model year 246RBSS do you have that you have these problems with.
Thanks,
ggreen63304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality