Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Advice gray/black water tank cleaners

Just finished a 90 day 11,700 mile jaunt across USA in our Micro Minnie 2106FBS which performed magnificently. I am so pleased with it. She, is a perfect match for our travels. (OOPS! was that sexist?) There is one thing I am trying to figure out. Why do my gray & black sensors never seem to indicate E when drained or hooked up to the camp sewer. Called my dealer and didn't get much help. Was told to get some Level Gauge Cleaner when I got home. I looked it up on Amazon and of course it's not cheap but more importantly the reviews are mediocre at best. Some suggested they had better luck with, as usual, Dawn or PineSol. Can any one shed some light on this "problem" The only thing that goes into the Black are #1's and any paper associated with #1's goes into a bag NOT the tank. The only thing that goes into the Gray is water with either Dawn in it or toothpaste residual. Over the 90 days we probably took no more than 2-3 showers each in the unit. The unit is always leveled.So what gives. Thanks, PIC
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That’s awesome that you a great time!

AFAIK, there are two types of sensors. The older style has a probe that sticks into the tank at various levels. The other type has a sensor on the outside of the tank and uses something like sonar. The first type is prone to getting paper and stuff stick on the probe. Sometimes, the process of leaving water in the tank can soften and dislodge the stuff. Sometimes not.

Are you sure that you’re level when dumping? If not, it’s possible that some liquid is being left behind.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Yhea, as level as humanly possible. What do you think about using Dawn or similar to clean tanks? Thinking I should avoid bleach. What say you ? This is 2018 so probably has the later style sensors. What will they think of next, Outside of the tank sonar like sensors
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Have these gauges ever worked on your TT? Do they work otherwise, i.e. show proper tank levels? Can you physically see the outside of your tanks? If you can you should be able to determine what kind of sensors you have. The older kind have what look like pins sticking into the tanks, the newer kind have a flat business card sized sensor on the outside.

I doubt the issue is what you’re putting into the tanks if they’ve never worked correctly. The dealer will try to dismiss the issue or make it your fault. Ignore that and tell him to fix the issue, asumming it’s under warranty.

PS. For the first 15-years that we camped we never ah, fully used, the bathroom toilet in our TT. We always used the campground’s bathroom and showers. But we decided that our bathroom and toilet was 100 times cleaner and more pleasant than 90% of the campgrounds we visited. Especially pit toilets in national forest campgrounds. Now, we never use the campground’s bathroom and it’s so much better. It was odd at first but opened up a whole new kind of camping that is a major improvement. Just something to consider.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Similar black tank sensor issue

We had a similar problem in our MM 2100 BH. The tank sensors worked great the first few times we took her out. However, during our last trip it kept reading 2/3 full in our black tank. Google search and much input later we realized that we kept the black tank draining all the time. Some stuff had adhered to the sensors most likely. So on out way home we put 5 gallons of water in there with a green pod. Unfortunately we forgot to drain it out and a whole month of August went by. We went back to out camper to do some tinkering and discovered the smell. But that’s another story of the clean up!
So now we’re fall camping in NH and are keeping our tank filled till it’s time to drain. So far so good. We also did the Dawn and Calgon water softener trick when we first got here to keep things “moving” and soluble.
We’re a family of 4 with 2 tween boys. We use our black tank for “everything”.
Rlr511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

"Happy Camper" is a tank additive that breaks things down fast and helps with odors. It seems expensive but lasts a long time using one scoop after dumping.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We use Cascade liquid dishwasher detergent - a healthy squeeze or two in both black and grey tanks. Also try to fill tanks before emptying and drive with tanks partially full to get a good sloshing. If you have a black tank flush valve that helps greatly.

Just in the course of normal life the tanks accumulate body oils, food grease, hair, etc that stick the tank surface.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I"m always having issues with the sensors, find them totally unreliable. I did the half a bottle of Dawn and filling up completely the black and let it sit for a few days. Then flushed out, filled with fresh a few days and drain. I would say it worked moderately, but better than prior to cleaning.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If I were you I'd quit spending money on any type of tank chemical or detergent- they're a complete waste of money in my opinion. I just flush after every trip with a flush king connected to my sewer termination. Very occasionally I use a tank wand and hose to was out the black tank- I think it's the only real way to clean sensors...but as others may have stated- these things are constantly inaccurate.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Itasca owner

You mention you don't put TP down the toilet. I think thats overly cautious,not necessary and unsanitary besides. Use the right paper (Costco Marathon works for me), enough water, and you shouldn't have a problem. I've done it for 30+ years and had zero blockages. Others will prob chime in on this.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well, 2-3 showers in 90 days... WHEW! Something that I have been doing for a while is to put a cup of Borax into the Black Water tank and also put some down the drain into the Grey water. The water softener has made a dramatic difference in keeping my sensor working, and the tank drains very clean every time. You can use your regular Holding tank Deodorizer while using Borax. The stuff is CHEAP at Walmart, and is a great addition to your Holding tanks.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2019 Minnie 2250DS we bought new last summer and the accuracy of the tank gauges is one of my few complaints. The brochure says we should have a 25 gallon black tank, but when I add just two gallons of water to an empty tank, the gauge reads 1/3 full! Two gallons is clearly nowhere near 1/3 of 25.

I did some research and learned the installed gauges simply aren't accurate. The only gauge reading we have confirmed is when the fresh tank says 'empty', it means it. I'm not willing to break the weather seal on the bottom of the trailer to gain access to the tanks...at least not yet.

The other tank complaint I must mention is that the brochure says we have a 25 gallon black tank. I used a scale and a five gallon bucket and filled the tank (visually, to the top of tank/toilet joint) with exactly 20 gallons. I raised the issue with the factory, but feel the likelihood of creating new problems correcting the tank is worse than living with the smaller-than-advertised tank size. Regardless, two gallons is also substantially less than 1/3 of 20.

On a more positive note, we recently bought one of these clear sewer hose extenders and now have a great deal of confidence in the blank tank flush system.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have used the Flush King https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...+backflush+kit for many years. It does a good job. Very often the internal tank flush just does not do the job. Using the Borax to soften the water makes a major difference in stopping "Stuff" from sticking to the inside of the tank. As for your 20 gal Black, if you are not too overzealous with Bowl water, it will get you by.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I don't worry about whether or not my black waste sensors, which are the most prone to problems, work or not, I just open the toilet's flush valve and look.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Worked for us

Our gray water sensor weren't working. Hot water showers, two of them in a row, then dumped tank right away. While tank still had hot water in it. We did this twice and They work like new again. Black water tank. We bought a spinning wand from Wal-Mart, made to clean tanks, and used it twice for 5 minutes each time.. Now our black tank sensors work perfectly again. We are now happy campers again. Hope this works for others. It truely works. And all we used was water. No expensive chimacals, or hard work. 2009 Winnebago Outlook 29b.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tank, water