Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Advice from 2108ds owners please.

My wife and I are evaluating purchasing a 2108ds. We love the look, the layout, the size but....have read some things concerning construction shortcuts within the minnie line. Mostly to do with wood supports breaking. Now, we don't have a barrel of money and this will have to last us for a number of years... Can anyone speak to these concerns? or any other workmanship concerns. From what we can see on the local models where we could see in the structure, is wood framing and very little metal. We always thoughts the Winnebago line is the best but now are wondering if shortcuts may have been taken to compete within the world of lite weight tts???

Would love some advice.

Jim
jmnsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 2108. We're relatively new to the RV world. Had a pop up then an R-pod and now we've "graduated" to a Micro Minnie. I did a lot of research and I'm convinced that unless you want to get into the 40 and $50,000 units Winnebago makes the best travel trailers on the market. The quality in the cabinetry is better. The exterior fiberglass is better. The electronics are better. The shower. The hitch. Everything just feels more solid. But what I like more than anything is that Winnebago is still Winnebago. They haven't sold out to some huge conglomerate. All things considered we're super happy to be Winnie owners.
Bhfromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your response. We are hoping a few more 2108 owners will share their experience so far. There are so many things to think about and consider when buying an rv. We really need to have some fun and enjoy life and want to make sure we pick the right RV to help us do that. Have you had any problems with yours so far?

Jim
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just got it home last Saturday. Haven't used it yet other than out in the driveway. I did get Netflix working though. And I figured out how to get the TV volume over the stereo speakers. Pretty sweet.

We're just like you. It's time to have some fun dammit!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2017 2455 BHS. This is my second Minnie. Previously we had a 2014 2201. Both campers, I have had ZERO problems. I mean ZERO issues whatsoever. You won't find a better quality camper, period. You pay a little more, but you won't be constantly taking it back to the dealer.

I haven't heard the lower construction issues that you described.

Good luck, and I would have no reservations.
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago product

I recently purchased a 2018 C Aspect. While not the same as your question I feel the workmanship would be the same.
I have owned a class A and 3 Airstream trailers in the past.
So far, been using it since early Feb on trip to FL, the coach is a marvel. Handled very well on trip down,(had added front and rear stabilizer bars).
The workmanship inside is superb. I keep looking for flaws and find none. I especially like the fiberglass roof vs rubber. The laminated walls are also a major benefit.
I would highly recommend any Winnebago product.
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Smile

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts...we value your opinions over any dealer you could talk to. We are still evaluating and will ask a few more questions from the local dealer concerning the construction and take another look or two. We are excited about finding one soon and getting out there with ya'll!

Thank ya'll.

Jim & Sandy
Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 C Aspect. While not the same as your question I feel the workmanship would be the same.
I have owned a class A and 3 Airstream trailers in the past.
So far, been using it since early Feb on trip to FL, the coach is a marvel. Handled very well on trip down,(had added front and rear stabilizer bars).
The workmanship inside is superb. I keep looking for flaws and find none. I especially like the fiberglass roof vs rubber. The laminated walls are also a major benefit.
I would highly recommend any Winnebago product.
Charlie,

The Aspect is the next RV we are seriously looking at to retire in. The plan is in 5 years to get in a Class C or Class A. I originally wanted to get in a Class A, but after looking at the Aspect I'm now leaning towards that. All RVs/Campers "shrink" after owning them, and that's the only thing that worries me about the Aspect. Will it be big enough over the years. But, I'm jealous as the Aspect is a beautiful coach. Happy Trails to you and your family.
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We are working on our third year of owning a 2106ds with no problems other than the Atwood tankless water heater which Winnebago quickly abandoned in newer models. While there may be manufacturers out there that have a better quality build for big $$, there are few that give you the same value.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We looked at a lot of campers last summer and finally bought a new (2018) 2108 DS. It was late enough in the season that we only got to try it for one weekend before the campgrounds closed for the season. (we live in Maine). We just got back from a four week trip to Florida with it. It worked out great! Its the right size for the two of us, everything worked fine. I did have an issue with the couch (the support straps under the cushion were just the plastic banding like you'd use for a stack of lumber). The stitching on the mattress started to unravel too. Both items are being replaced by the dealer for no charge. We got "The Equalizer" weight distributing hitch with sway control and the trailer pulled very well. We did hit some heavy cross winds on the way back and we lost (somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think) the cover over the propane tanks. So, I would recommend a bungee or other mechanism to hold the cover on. Also, one of the cheap plastic end covers on the bumper came off (get some better covers) I saw the shadow of the hose flopping around behind me at 70 miles per hour. I have a fantastic dealer who has replaced/repaired anything needed. Overall, the camper works great, we had everything we needed and even had storage space that we didn't use. Good luck and enjoy it!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
We looked at a lot of campers last summer and finally bought a new (2018) 2108 DS. It was late enough in the season that we only got to try it for one weekend before the campgrounds closed for the season. (we live in Maine). We just got back from a four week trip to Florida with it. It worked out great! Its the right size for the two of us, everything worked fine. I did have an issue with the couch (the support straps under the cushion were just the plastic banding like you'd use for a stack of lumber). The stitching on the mattress started to unravel too. Both items are being replaced by the dealer for no charge. We got "The Equalizer" weight distributing hitch with sway control and the trailer pulled very well. We did hit some heavy cross winds on the way back and we lost (somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think) the cover over the propane tanks. So, I would recommend a bungee or other mechanism to hold the cover on. Also, one of the cheap plastic end covers on the bumper came off (get some better covers) I saw the shadow of the hose flopping around behind me at 70 miles per hour. I have a fantastic dealer who has replaced/repaired anything needed. Overall, the camper works great, we had everything we needed and even had storage space that we didn't use. Good luck and enjoy it!
The propane tank cover should have had a bungee going across the bottom under the tank mounting plate. It is attached to two eyelet tabs. If yours was missing I suspect it either broke or the dealer forgot to install it when they prepped the trailer. The bungee that came with ours was pretty light weight so I exchanged it for a heavier version.

We had the same thing happen with one of our bumper caps. Fortunately our drain hose didn't come out and I caught it on a stop. I had a spare from our previous trailer so stuck it on. It is a better quality than the ones Winnebago provides and is still not as tight as I would like. I added a layer of duct tape to tighten up the fit. I think the cause is thinner material for the bumper itself so the inner dimensions are slightly oversize.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I lost one of those bumper caps just bringing my new trailer home from the dealer. Called Winnebago and they mailed me a couple. Number is (800) 537-1885. Guy on the phone was great.

I never got a bungee tying down my propane cover either. Dealer said gravity holds it in place. Guess I'll be calling my buddy Jake at Winnebago tomorrow. Good info. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhfromme View Post
I lost one of those bumper caps just bringing my new trailer home from the dealer. Called Winnebago and they mailed me a couple. Number is (800) 537-1885. Guy on the phone was great.

I never got a bungee tying down my propane cover either. Dealer said gravity holds it in place. Guess I'll be calling my buddy Jake at Winnebago tomorrow. Good info. Thanks!
I have never viewed the bungee as a Winnebago item. Ours also did not come with a bungee and I just used one that I had at home. There is nothing special about the bungee. Just have to have one that is the right length.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2018 2108DS last week after obsessing over the choices for months. While there were some trade offs, things we wanted that we gave up on to get other things we wanted more. We are happy with the decision and look forward to nicer weather. We travel south through the winter so we are looking forward to the greater space and storage compared to our class B. We have a spreadsheet listing what we considered and their features and characteristics if you would like to have it.
Fzyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We also purchased a 2108DS and pick up next week. We've been kicking tires for a few years and found this to be the best layout and quality in our price range. I'm not sure about the comments regarding wood structure as I understand these to be metal framed trailers. Are we talking about the wood cabinetry?
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
I'm not sure about the comments regarding wood structure as I understand these to be metal framed trailers. Are we talking about the wood cabinetry?
As far as I can tell my Micro Minnie is wood from the steel frame up with a fiberglass shell.

Do you know what Airstream owners call trailers like ours?

Cardboard.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I found this online that explains the structure of our trailers. https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...rior/structure
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
As far as I can tell my Micro Minnie is wood from the steel frame up with a fiberglass shell.

Do you know what Airstream owners call trailers like ours?

Cardboard.
If I spent that much money on a trailer I would try to make myself feel good about it too.

My understanding is that the super structure is all metal and they use wood framing around things like the vent holes.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
From the above page:

Quote:
Every coach—from our smallest Class C to our largest diesel-pusher model
It doesn't say anything about towables.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
From the above page:

It doesn't say anything about towables.
You're right but I don't believe Winnebago currently produces a wood framed RV. See the third bullet on this link: https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...innie/overview

Tags
advice