Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Winniehurn

27RBDS Soft Underbelly Durability Concerns

Concerned with potential problems area above the dual axles where soft waterproof fabric covers insulation. No way this will stand up to stuff flinging off the tires over time. We have a 2019 27RBDS with the same build design (or should I say lack of build design?).

I have purchased 16 gauge aluminum plate which I am cutting to fit which will cover these areas (4 segments above wheels between supports in my case) and will seal small areas around plate up with expandable foam or caulking. Have to be careful to avoid interference with slides while doing this and assuring self tapping bolts don't damage anything on opposite side of frame work. I'm also thinking of fabricating splash guards behind wheels to minimize splash onto back of trailer bottom.

There are several other areas on both sides of trailer which are built the same way but don't appear to be exposed to "wheel wash." Tackling those long termed with lighter gauge aluminum I think.

Any other ideas out there? Wish me luck!!
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

As I put in another thread, I'm thinking about putting coroplast up on the areas of our 2106FBS that has exposed fabric. It's lightweight, easy to work with and should handle any normal road debris.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ill be watching this thread. While our 28rbds has black coroplast pretty much everywhere underneath, it has a black tarp type material above the wheels in the areas of the bottoms of the 2 opposing slides.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Winniehurn

Winnie Minnie Plus Soft Underbelly

Hi Old Engineer & Rodney! I have installed the aluminum plates above wheels on our 27RBDS, turned out pretty good. Using Great Stuff to seal around edges of plates. Will probably use coroplast as Old Engineer suggested in areas less prone to "tire fling debris."

I found another disappointing vulnerable area while doing project above, suggest you check out your units for same. There were openings on both sides of our trailer, back of where slides meet main trailer body and at extreme outboard side. About 3" open at top tapering down. Exposed flooring edge to water intrusion from tire splash. Great access point for critters also. Plugged mine up with Great Stuff temporarily until time allows addressing it more permanently.

I'm gonna mount mud flaps behind wheels which should help reduce exposure to splashing for rear part of trailer. Looks like an easy installation on my unit.

PS Old Engineer: I'm a retired "old" chemical engineer as well!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Man, you guys are going to be keeping me busy....
Thanks for all this though guys, wish Winn would be so thorough
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I started as an electrical engineer but moved over the software in the early 80's. Mostly worked on low level operating system stuff like I/O subsystem and device support and in later years TCP/IP related protocols and servers.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased our Mini Plus 27 bhss last October noted the same design flaw. Glad to see your fix has worked. Thanks for your sharing your solution. I will look to do the same. If you have any tips would be grateful.
Fish58fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Winniehurn

Fish58Fly, I will send you some tips from what I have learned soon. Just getting back from a week camping in the NC mountains, so really behind on household duties. May be able to send some pics as well.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you. Hope your trip was a good one.
Fish58fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Interesting under belly observations. Coming from a guy who likes his nimble little Winnie Drop 1790 I am curious why use folks use to tow those 27 food 8,000 lb rigs? Sure would be nice to have one of each ! I have a 2018 F-150 3.5 eco-boost and towing my 3,000 pound drop up and over mountain passes where I live is a relative breeze.
duluthdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I use a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. It has a hemi and 3.92 gears. 175,000 miles. I bought it new in 07. I used to pull a much lighter camper with it. My 28rbds is at the upper end of its ratings. I’ve towed about 600 or so miles with the new camper and it’s not that bad. I did add timbrens to my rear suspension and Chinese copies of the factory fold out tow mirrors because it’s harder to see around the larger camper. I would like to get a new truck in 2 years. I may go with a 3/4 or 1 ton 8’ bed so I can haul my side by side and the camper.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Winniehurn

We tow our 27RBDS (estimate about 7500 lb loaded) with a 2016 Tundra Double Cab w/5.7 L engine, tow package. This tow load is well within the 10,200 lb rating for the truck. We just completed a trip to the NC mountains & found the Tundra comfortably handled this loading. No sweat on Interstates holding 65 MPH. Highly recommend a good load leveling sway control hitch system. We use a Blue Ox system w/1000 lb bars & had no significant sway. Tongue weight loaded on our trailer loaded is about 800 lb plus with usual "junk" in bed, it was nice to transfer some weight off rear wheels by loading up the bars a good bit. I think your Ford F150 Ecoboost should handle similar loading well, but check Ford towing and tongue weight ratings for your specific truck (model, engine, cab type, bed type, etc.) to verify you would be within limits. Hope this helps!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Winniehurn

Winnie Minnie Plus Soft Underbelly Solution

Trying to load before and after pictures of area above wheel on our 27RBDS. Used self tapping # 8-10 bolts to hold carefully cut 16 gauge aluminum sheet metal to frame. Need to be careful not to interfere with slide and associated slide synchronizing assembly, wiring harness, or power rod. Aluminum is easy to work with, cut with jig saw. Access tight for some desired bolt placements, used a DeWalt 90 degree drive attachment powered by battery impact gun without too much hassle. "After" picture doesn't show the Great Stuff expanding crack sealer I used (after metal installation) to seal up the perimeter edges making it relatively water tight.

One could use other materials to cover the "Before" OEM fabric. Coroplast is even easier than aluminum, less expensive, etc. but I wanted something more impact resistant in case of tire failure. Major tire failure can really be brutal, so not sure even 16 gauge aluminum would hold up to worst case. If you are really good at sheet metal, suppose you could go with heavier gauge aluminum or even steel - I'm not that good!

Pictures didn't work out, email me ([email protected]) with your email address & I will send you pics that way.