Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
2020 1706FB Owner

2020 1/2 - 1706FB is Gone

I just looked at the Winnebago website and noticed that my 2020 - 1706FB is obsolete and it's not even 2020 yet. The website still shows the 1706FB but then says dealer stock only. In its place there is a new 1708FB which is very similar to the 1706FB with the following changes:
  1. The silly little TV was replaced with a much larger unit.
    There is slightly less storage to the left of the TV where the Jensen used to be.
    The shower is slightly bigger by using a different shape.
    The bathroom sink is now square.
    The drapery screen to separate the bed from the rest of the trailer is gone
    Most mysteriously the trailer weighs around 300lbs more. The larger TV can't cause that much weight gain so they either beefed up something that was giving them problems or they made some options standard.

Overall these sound like good improvements (although I still wish that they put it in the bed area). I would sure like to know where the extra 300 lbs came from though.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't know about the original size of the TV on the 1706FB (of which we have one) is 'silly'. Plenty of screen square inches, to view from the dinette, or Queen bed, with propped up pillow. There is never enough storage in ANY trailer...so I still welcome that greater storage capacity overall in the 1706FB. The bathroom sink, is still oval...and I don't see any noticeable real difference between shower pan layouts. If the 1708FB is truly 300 more pounds...I'm glad then, that I am not towing it all the time...and for what, would we get for that added weight? Probably just lower MPG...

You still have the best-in-its-class TT and features, with the lowest dry starting weight of any manufacturer, that even offers a 6 cubic foot fridge, with separate freezer! I don't see any reason that we would consider trading in our 1706FB for the 1708FB. Our 1706FB is paid for...for one thing!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Time to eat some 'crow'...I guess that this vid convinced me, that there COULD be a reason that I would update to a 1708 FB, in the future, over my present 2018 1706 FB. Some features lost. Some features gained...

Here is a factory rep vid discussing the differences between a 2020 MM 1706FB and a 2020 (mid year change up...his words...) MM 1708 FB. 19 inch to 32 inch TV, under-mount sink, and flush mount range, longer by 2.5 inches...but, here's the entire vid of the 2020 Micro Minnie 1708FB

Post Edit 1: I see that it is now Azdel..side walls...

https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...innie/overview

Post Edit 2 : I was watching the entire vid, and noticed that they switched the positions of the air conditioner to mid floor plan, with the 14 inch standard roof vent. I like that! You could have on less humid nights, a vertical flow from your two EAST/WEST windows at the queen bed position, and luft up to the further back roof vent. Also, the air conditioner would be cooling more central to the roof. Like that, too! I really like the flush mount range top, over my 1706's rise cover range top.

But...there are losses between the two as well. I love all the storage of my 1706, as well as what I think is a great asset and feature...the two deep and long, dresser drawers that sit into the bed frame. We use that all the time, and most appreciate, that as soon as you get out of bed, you can access what you wish to have immediately and conveniently, at the bedside for dressing. Missing now, on the 1708.

So...I guess, you pick up features, and lose some. Such is Life...but if for any reason, I would wish to trade or sell my 2018 1706FB...I certainly would pick up the (whatever year) 1708 FB to replace it. We just love the layout, the size that allows you access to all camping sites...as well as being able to store the 20 footer, at home, and still allow for two vehicles on the driveway, one to the left of it, one in front of it, and not eat the cost of off-home storage and questionable unit security. Yep...if we sell/trade up...it will be this baby...
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote