Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Micro Minnie 2100BH - gaps around window screens

Hello folks,

We just finished our first outing with our brand new 2019 Micro Minnie 2100BH and loved it overall but had issues with a high number of flying bugs/insects entering the coach. We had all of the windows open (it was a hot day) but all screens shut. However, the bugs came in anyway.

Upon further inspection we noticed that many of the screens have a gap between the frame of the screen and the rest of the window frame - about 1/8th of an inch in some areas. We believe the bugs were entering through these gaps.

Anyone else have this issue and figure out a way to solve it? Your help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
bricrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yep, it seems that when the screens are snapped into position on the window frame it causes them to bow out at the sides leaving a gap. I temporarily fixed ours using blue painter's tape (easy to remove and doesn't leave adhesive residue) but have yet to come up with a better solution.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've noticed some gaps as well on some of our windows. I'm thinking a thin, self-adhesive back foam strip might do the trick if it isn't too firm. The only problem I can think of it the only stuff I've seen locally is white or grey.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We are going to order some black painters tape to address this issue in the near term.

I will be contacting my dealer and Winnebago directly - a new trailer should not have this issue.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have the same issue on our 2019 Minnie, but the bugs did not seem to find their way in despite there being a large number of mosquitoes outside. It appears to be a design issue on ours with the way the clips are structured to hold the screen in place.

If it turns out to be an issue that needs addressing, I'll probably get small black foam insulation strips with adhesive backing at Home Depot as an earlier poster suggested.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I might try the foam insulation idea depending on what Winnebago tells me.

Thank you!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have the same problem with our ‘19 Minnie 1700BH. Haven’t looked at how to fix it yet, but will report back with any solution.
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We just found and applied strips of black foam insulation where the gaps are between our screens and the window frame. Was easy and wasn't expensive to purchase. We are camping this weekend and will report about how well the bugs are kept out.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I used the black ¾" foam tape and if It was too thick I would stretch it to make it a little thinner. But it works great. Less than $4 fix
waglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Gaps in Window Screens

Hi, after reading this thread I checked my 2018 2106DS and am happy to report that all of my window screens do not have any noticeable gaps.

I have only used my trailer a few times, hopefully the gaps are not a sign of use. That is as the trailer gets used it becomes less rigid, hence the window screens not fitting properly. Will certainly watch this thread with interest.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We have this problem in our 2017 2500FL, we're patching it with black Gorilla tape for a better color match.

Anyone heard from Winnebago about this?
jddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear the foam worked although it adds another thing to do to my never ending list.

I suspect the gaps have to do with the window frames being somewhat warped by the trailer sides not being perfectly flat and a weak attachment method. If this is like other things within the RV industry my guess is Winnebago will say it is vendor problem and the vendor will say it's an installation problem.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, same here. I used 1/8 th inch weatherstripping foam (adhesive both sides) on all the visible cracks, and that seems to have solved it. A design flaw.
cbb_37027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Have the same issue on our 1710 Winnie Drop.
Sad to say but with the problems I am having with Winnebago on a delamination fix, I am sure they will not care about fixing this for anyone.
evilkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddobbs View Post
We have this problem in our 2017 2500FL, we're patching it with black Gorilla tape for a better color match.
While I really like Gorrilla tape I would not use it for this application as once applied it is hard to remove and leaves adhesive residue behind.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
While I really like Gorrilla tape I would not use it for this application as once applied it is hard to remove and leaves adhesive residue behind.
I've found that WD40 sprayed on a paper towel works great to remove adhesive residue. Takes a little bit of elbow-grease, but not much and is generally safe for underlying material.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, I had to laugh...I got some time in the trailer today and realized I could remove the screens and reposition them. That got rid of the gaps, other than one that appears to be the frame flexing a bit.
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Well, I had to laugh...I got some time in the trailer today and realized I could remove the screens and reposition them. That got rid of the gaps, other than one that appears to be the frame flexing a bit.
Those easy "fixes" are the best.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricrum View Post
Hello folks,

We just finished our first outing with our brand new 2019 Micro Minnie 2100BH and loved it overall but had issues with a high number of flying bugs/insects entering the coach. We had all of the windows open (it was a hot day) but all screens shut. However, the bugs came in anyway.

Upon further inspection we noticed that many of the screens have a gap between the frame of the screen and the rest of the window frame - about 1/8th of an inch in some areas. We believe the bugs were entering through these gaps.

Anyone else have this issue and figure out a way to solve it? Your help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I just checked all of the screens in my brand new 2019 Micro Minnie. Regrettably, I found that most of the window screens have gaps in the frame of most the screens in each window. I even found where one of the windows has a gap as well.
Thank you for posting about this issue. One would think Winnebago would have a better quality control.
Since I am now traveling around the west and northwest for the next four months, I will have to keep up with how Winnebago deals with this issue. Thank you for the heads up.
crg502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

We have several gaps in our new drop 1710. I minimized a few by repositioning the screens slightly, but some are not fixable. I’ll be investigating some other methods to seal the remaining ones.
Casademike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, window