Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 27RLTS

I considering a new 5th wheel, and, I am interested in the 27RLTS model. It seems to have all I want in a 27 foot 5th wheel. Any feedback, pro or con, would be appreciated. Thank you
Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

None of the 5th wheels seem to have a huge following. Take a look at the other threads here in 5th wheel. I have a '17 28sgs and am, overall, very happy with it. Most of the niggles with it are related to lack of production quality control. To be fair the seems to be an issue industry wide. Just like the who designs these things?" NOT someone who spends much or any time in one.
Pick it to death at the dealer and make sure they fix things.
2912N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

I don’t own one but have reviewed the 27RLTS. I think it’s a nice unit.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We picked up our new 2019 27RLTS on May 18 and have had it out three times. So far so good. No doubt about it -- it's a nice unit. We are, so far, very happy with it. Not too long; not too short; not too heavy (depending on your two vehicle that is...) Feels very spacious inside. We've had a chance to use both furnace and A/C, and everything seems to work as it should. Lots of storage space that isn't hard to use. Love the deep double kitchen sink. We were able to get our dealer to upgrade the tires so that made it an even better deal for us.

Two things would make it almost perfect in my mind: 1) a cross breeze window in the bedroom; and 2) if the kitchen island were just 3 or 4 inches shorter, it would be possible to open the refrigerator with the slide closed. I've actually been thinking about contacting Winnebago about that because I think that would be a huge design improvement. I was used to being able to load the refrigerator in our old trailer without having to open the slide, but now we have to open the slide to load/unload and I don't really like that. Other than that, we haven't really found any glaring negatives yet.

I don't think very many people have these trailers yet. We are quite likely among the first. Ours came off the first official production run (other than the limited run of 2018 spec models that are out there at a few dealers) so they really have been just starting to arrive at the dealer lots and not a lot of user information or reviews out there yet. We actually bought it sight unseen, but had looked at other Winnebago models looking for the quality and such.

Let me know if we can answer any specific questions you might have.
19Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have an older 2014 26FWRKS. By far the most reliable trailer we've ever owned. Have towed it 1000's of miles on dozens of trips already. Solidly built inside and out. I can only hope the quality of Winnebago 2018/2019 models are just as good.

The only issues I've had were with the awning and toilet. Both Dometic products and quickly repaired thru them.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Winnie View Post
if the kitchen island were just 3 or 4 inches shorter, it would be possible to open the refrigerator with the slide closed.
This is the reason we opted for their rear kitchen model. With slide closed I can still access almost everything easily. Fridge, cabinets, bathroom, bedroom etc.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We chose the 27RKS because we did not want to have to slide the slide out to put away groceries, have a quick meal or use the bathroom. We love the size. Perfect for the two of us. Had our daughter and one year old granddaughter traveling with us for 3 days and there was plenty of room. The Winnebago towed very well. We have trouble with our Dometic Refrigerator and we got caught in the you did not buy it here we will not work on it issue. But other then that problem we like the unit.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
we got caught in the you did not buy it here we will not work on it issue.
So far I didn't have that issue. Some dealers treat their service dept. the same way auto dealers do. The service dept. is in effect separate from the sales dept. A separate profit center on its own. They are there to make a profit and do not wish to turn down service. Wish more dealers were like that.

One way around the issue is to not go to a dealer at all. There is no need to. Just go to a reputable RV repair center. They will take care of most warranty issues. Especially for items such as appliances, awnings, A/C, toilet etc. all of which are covered by their manufacturer and not Winnebago.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, we are about to purchase the 2019 27 RLTS but the sliding door from bedroom to bathroom does not fully close..there is a gap because of the cabinet molding on the top and the carpeted bump out on the bottom..it can't close flush to the wall. When I pointed that out at the dealer they said that they believe it is built incorrectly and they are calling the factory to make sure it's a mistake on this unit and not just a poor design. Does your unit have the same issue?
Karen310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen310 View Post
Hi, we are about to purchase the 2019 27 RLTS but the sliding door from bedroom to bathroom does not fully close..there is a gap because of the cabinet molding on the top and the carpeted bump out on the bottom..it can't close flush to the wall. When I pointed that out at the dealer they said that they believe it is built incorrectly and they are calling the factory to make sure it's a mistake on this unit and not just a poor design. Does your unit have the same issue?
Ours is the same way. I guess we haven't really thought about it as a problem. DH just said he hasn't really noticed or thought about it...
Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I'm also thinking about the 27RLTS. Could you tell me what truck, bed length and hitch you have?
JEdsonStagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We tow our 27RKS with a Ford F350, crew cab, long bed diesel. We had the king pin switched to a goose neck as we had two other trailers that were goose necks and did not want to be switching between hitches. Tows great, no issues. We did get a letter from Lippert that the switch would not void the frame warranty.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We are towing our 27RLTS with a 2018 F150 with Ecoboost special ordered with heavy duty towing/max payload packages, 6.5 foot bed, B&W Companion hitch - no slider. Very happy with performance so far.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Winnie View Post
We are towing our 27RLTS with a 2018 F150 with Ecoboost special ordered with heavy duty towing/max payload packages, 6.5 foot bed, B&W Companion hitch - no slider. Very happy with performance so far.
I am looking at the same truck for a 25RKS. How far can you turn with your hitch?
RVWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

2019 27 RLTS - Disappointed

My wife and I picked up our special order 27 RLTS in June 2018 at a dealer in Ohio and drove it home to Connecticut. As delivered they had the wrong sofa and it had to be swapped out at another dealer months later.

I previously owned a 2003 Titanium 5th wheel and the quality of workmanship in the Winnebago pales by comparison. Granted the Titanium was at a higher price point, but very simple things on the Winnie are less than quality.

We blew a fuse on the front struts and I could not locate it anywhere. The wiring in this unit is a mess, wires all over the place with no way to easily identify what is what. If you hold the retract button down a millisecond too long when retracting the LEDs it will blow the fuse.

Second trip out the water heater stopped working. Blown fuse duty to a short in the wiring. Dealer fixed it, but second trip out after repair again had no hot water. This time it was a shorting element.

After a couple of trips I noticed the main (forward) awning wasn't staying fully retracted. Dealer discovered the track was installed upside down and also the motor was bad internally. So far everything covered under warranty.

After our first long trip cross country, I noticed the lower skirt on the drivers side was starting to crack. This is the black aluminum fairing on the siding. Dealer replaced under warranty. Two trips later, there is an 8" crack and the fairing is flapping around like crazy. There is no bracket to hold it from vibrating due to wind buffeting. The screws holding the rest of the fairings/ skirts come loose due to wind buffeting and I need to tighten then throughout the trip.

And last, we had the shower drain pipe shear off where it tees into the main pipe going into the gray tank. It was a long run with no support bracket.

Some of these issues are due to design flaws or lack of foresight that engineers should have caught in designing the unit.

For the price it is a nice unit, but expect issues.
Fmiclon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I've heard a few horror stories from some Winnebago owners the past few years. One had something in the slide mechanism that while extending took out flooring and the sidewall. Appears to be sporadic as most owners have great experiences. I have a 2014 Lite Five 26FWRKS we bought new. Very good construction, fit and finish. 6 years later and dozens of trips, 1000's of miles and its as good as new. No major repairs.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Do not take delivery with China Bomb tires!

One other thing - when negotiating a deal, insist on American-made tires! With less than 2 years and 8,000 miles we have had 2 blowouts on our 27RLTS. Tires as delivered were Chinese. I should have known better, having put them on a previous 5th wheel with the same results.
Fmiclon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago