Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tires for a 2019 Winnie Plus 29 RBH Fifth Wheel

We ventured on a trip from South Florida through New England and back through Tennessee before coming home this past fall. We traveled a total of 6,300 miles for the trip. On route 81 south out of Pa we had a blowout with our new fifth wheel camper after traveling 3,100 miles. The tires are 225/75r/15stE Goodride tires, the spare was a 235/80r/16stE tire. We have TST tire monitors and check the air pressure to make sure when we start the morning we have the recommended 80 lbs pressure. The morning of the blowout was a normal morning, the temperature and air pressure in the tires were normal and it was a cool temperatures outside. This was a Sunday morning so there were no tire stores open except Walmart, after changing the flat we drove to the nearest Walmart in Shippensburg Pa. The only american tires they had in stock were Carlisle reliance. While changing the flat tire we noticed another tire on the opposite side was pealing apart and ready to blow as well. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the tire sizes and does anyone else with this same mode have 16" tires? Mark in Lake Worth, FL
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I guess I'm not answering your question, but you got me to crawl under and check my spare. All of my tires are the same as yours sans the spare. I bought my RV pretty much by looking at pictures and I was especially interested in the tires. The only pictures I saw had a name started with Good...(all I could see) and I assumed Goodyear. I have mixed feeling about the Goodride because it's the same company that makes Westlake which is an excellent tire. The parent company is the largest tire manufacturer in China.

Time will tell, but your report and other reviews concern me. Did you have RV damage from the blown tire or did your tire minders help prevent any damage?
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your reply, I had only minor damages to the covering over the wheel well, thanks goodness. I also failed to mention that the third tire showed the tread to be wavy in appearance indicating that the tread had separated on that tire as well. I am purchasing new 16" wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires when I get my trailer back from service. Discount tire has given me a very competitive price and also includes a 3 year road hazard warranty. When I showed Discount Tire my photos of the tires they said it is a common tread separation, and when I mentioned the tires they said they have had several people with the same issues with this manufacturer. My dealer (La Mesa PSL) talked me out of replacing the new tires stating that they have a 5yr/1yr no-prorated warranty. Now that I have an issue they have turned their back on me and said it is between the tire manufacturer and me. I advised that I have had no luck with Goodride and they said that they are a cheap tire and it doesn't surprise them. First words out of the mouth was "did you purchase the extended tire warranty"? I wouldn't drive around the block with those tires!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have also found that the sister fifth wheel 29 mid bunk model for 2020 has 16" rims and tires with more weight capacity than my 29 rear bunk model.

Tags
tires