Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar preinstalled in my fifth wheel 2018 Winnie plus

I’m second owner of a 2018 Winnie plus fifth wheel it solar ready I have no idea how to use nothing in owners manual previous owner took one one trip was no help about the trailer at all appreciate any help. Thx
astock64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suggest that you contact Winnebago via phone ask for details. Solar ready probably means that there is wiring in place but exactly where and what gauge is the question. The gauge of the wiring will determine how big of a solar system in watts (or amps) it will support. I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of information sheet that Winnebago can provide.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Assuming you are not familiar with RV 12V systems, battery charging, solar, etc below are a couple of links with good detailed info.

Solar ready RV's generally mean there is some wiring pre installed from the roof to the battery compartment. Bob C gave good suggestions on how to locate the wiring.

The size of the wire is very important as to how much solar power (watts) can be installed.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
Happily Retired

On travel trailers these are usually for suitcase style solar panels in the range from 100-200 watts. Look for an exterior plug that says solar/solar panels. It will usually be mounted in a vertical position with a connector that has a male side and a female side. An important concern is polarization (-/+) and being sure that the + from your panel is going into the + for your batteries.
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, solar