Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > 5th Wheel Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide quit working

The driver's side kitchen slide out on my 2014 Destination 36RL has stopped working. The passenger side one still functions and my understanding is that both slides are on the same "hydraulic run"....that said, I read on one thread here about a blown fuse so I will go over to storage and verify that, but does anyone else have any experience or input to this issue? Thanks, Mike
mcumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

updated info

Okay, so I have no blown fuses and the slide out controller module has no blinking fault code lights in play that would indicate any sort of motor failure. I did notice that the slide out is sitting flat on the floor of the inside of the 5th wheel and I am pretty sure it always had a slight gap between the floor and the slide when retracted just like my passenger side one does.

We did travel over some very bumpy interstate roads so I am hoping something just came out of adjustment height wise and it can just be dialed back into alignment when I take it in this Friday. Also hoping that my floor surface is not damaged since it had 2 days of towing in this position!!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Solution

Okay....so I’m happy that I didn’t end up having a large repair bill but really disappointed in Winnebago because I don’t think this issue should have ever been possible. The nut that holds the hydraulic ram of the slide out in place basically backed off and ultimately fell off, therefore causing the ram to drop and not able to push the slide out.

Props to Trailer Source for finding this and it only cost me $351.43 to fix...the biggest charge was 330$ to remove and reinstall the under belly to diagnose and address the issue. Just my opinion, I think this it should have been secured with a castle nut or some other type so it could not have fallen off and don’t consider this something to be expected with normal wear and tear. So there ya go...end of story and my rig is back to normal operation.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Happy you got it fixed. We had a similar issue when our driver side slide quit working. Lucky for us this happened about a week before warranty ended and we were unexpectedly on the road to help a cousin. Our problem was the motor burned out. Dealer who fixed it said Winnebago was having a problem putting installing motors too small for their slides.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

yeah, unfortunately I think almost all of the manufacturers try to use the most inexpensive part for any aspect of any unit they build...I miss my old Carriage unit!!

Tags
slide