Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Happy Days in NJ

Question Minnie Plus 25RKS (5th wheel) slideout cover install?

Just purchased a 2019 (yes! that's what the VIN# specifies!) Winnebago Minnie Plus 25RKS 5th wheel trailer. I need to install a slide-out cover before the seals get chewed up here in the northeast where we have lots of tree, etc debris. Can't seen to get any info on WHERE and HOW a cover should be attached to the side of the trailer, above the slideout. Any thoughts? THANK YOU!!!
Pier Guidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Happy Days in NJ

Question

HELP! Still looking for hints as to where to attach slideout topper on my Winnebago 5th wheel trailer (Minnie PLUS 25RKS). ANY HINTS for any trailer will do with respect to placement of mounting holes/screws (don't want to attach to thin wall and have it ripped out.). How do I determine where the wall supports are located? THANKS
Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I suggest you go ask this question in the Minnie trailer section. Probably get a lot more responses and the slides are likely constructed the same. Optionally, you could go and look at some Minnies on a dealer lot that have had it done. Last but not least, there is at least one guy on the FB winnebago 5th wheel group that has done this same install (Same 5th wheel model).
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am surprised that your dealer can't point you in the right direction!(?) On a side note, what do you think of your new trailer and what is your tow Vehicle? A couple of months ago we bought a 2108 DS and love the quality and the RV lifestyle. We are thinking larger would be even better and are looking at 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel trailers. Winnebago is our brand of choice.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
Happy Days in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
I am surprised that your dealer can't point you in the right direction!(?) On a side note, what do you think of your new trailer and what is your tow Vehicle? A couple of months ago we bought a 2108 DS and love the quality and the RV lifestyle. We are thinking larger would be even better and are looking at 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel trailers. Winnebago is our brand of choice.
I believe the Minnie Plus 5th wheel (25RKS model) we purchased in May 2018 is a fairly new design. It is disturbing about the quality of construction and the fact that a well thought of dealer had little clue how to prep or explain the thing (shades falling off because of missing screws AND screws put into 1/4" wall paneling without proper fasteners, a slide-out that is problematic (and dealer doesn't have info enough to really adjust/fix it even with communications with Winnebago), incomplete info on trailer (sink overflow because of a closed valve that is not documented and dealer knew nothing about its existence), delivered with major scratches on counter top, no manual for dual propane tank operation, tow vehicle cable wiring sloppily terminated in a residential style metal electrical box OUTSIDE the vehicle exposed to weather (hired electrician to reinstall properly inside the 5th wheel tounge as it should be), emergency braking cable/pin box that literally fell off because of loose screw mount, no manual/instructions for auto-leveling system that was out of calibration (left trailer unbalanced so that shower & other doors closed by themselves!), etc. Nice looking but would not buy Winnebago again. Trailer weight is 7200 lbs. My tow vehicle is a Ford f150, 4x4, V6 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine (turbo, 375 hp, 475 ft-lbs tourque) 11000+ lb. trailer +towing capacity.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Too bad about your experience with the 25rks. This is a little discouraging, to say the least. I understand this model has been around for a few years under the name Voyager. Thanks for confirming that it is 1/2 ton towable. I'm looking at a GM product with their max tow package.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Guidi View Post
delivered with major scratches on counter top,
Sorry to hear you have had so many problems. We also have a 2019 Winnebago 5th wheel trailer (Model 27RLTS) that we have had since May. It, too, was delivered with scratches on the counter top. Dealer buffed them down, but not completely out. Not entirely satisfied with how it looks now because the buffer seems to have dulled the surface a bit and am concerned about how easily it seems to scratch. But, not really anything we can do about it.

Other than that, we haven't had anything major -- a minor slideout adjustment, bad heat sensor on the refrigerator (waiting on delivery of the replacement part for that so we can fix it ourselves) and one pantry shelf that collapsed (but we fixed that ourselves as well). Generally we are quite satisfied. These sorts problems seem all too common in the RV industry and I don't think any brand is immune to them.
19Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
Too bad about your experience with the 25rks. This is a little discouraging, to say the least. I understand this model has been around for a few years under the name Voyager. Thanks for confirming that it is 1/2 ton towable. I'm looking at a GM product with their max tow package.
I think, generally speaking, Winnebago makes a solid trailer. Most would say there are problems with any brand. I wouldn't count Winnebago out. We have a slightly larger model (the 27RLTS) and are towing it with a 2018 F150 Ecoboost equipped with max towing and max payload capacity packages. This truck seems to be handling the load better than our old truck handled our previous, much lighter travel trailer.
19Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just saw this. Call Winnebago Towables customer service. They emailed me the drawings of our 2106FBS showing the location of the aluminum tubing in both the slide and side wall. I also used a stud finder where I could to verify they were where I wanted to place the hardware for our topper. I've found their customer service easy to work with and more than willing to answer questions or help me when I've needed other construction information/advice.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Happy Days in NJ

Red face slide-out cover for Winnebago Minnie PLUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
Just saw this. Call Winnebago Towables customer service. They emailed me the drawings of our 2106FBS showing the location of the aluminum tubing in both the slide and side wall. I also used a stud finder where I could to verify they were where I wanted to place the hardware for our topper. I've found their customer service easy to work with and more than willing to answer questions or help me when I've needed other construction information/advice.
THANKS for the info. I never thought about using a stud finder! duhhh ! I did contact customer service. No help: "see dealer". Winnebago dealer had no clue and unless I had them do it, they couldn't help me! Liability issues I suppose? I figure, based on their consternation, that maybe they also didn't know and figured they too would have to deal with Winnebago directly and that's something they didn't seem to feel good about. I'll keep looking at campgrounds until I see someone else with similar model with the cover and make friends fast!

Tags
install, slide, slideout