Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
God help you if the cab has to come of that "Super C". May be when the engine need service it can be dropped out the bottom
I guess I don't understand your comment above.

We have a "regular" Winnebago Itasca Class C built on the good old Ford E450 cutaway van chassis with a V10 engine.

The photo a couple of posts above appears to be a Super Class C built on a Ford F550 truck chassis ... which I think are available with a diesel engine.

The V10 gas engine in our E450 may or may not be more difficult to work on than any type of engine in an F550 truck ... it depends upon what part of the engine one has to get access to. Our mechanic can fix anything on our E450's engine by either: Hoisting or jacking the motorhome and going in from the bottom (same as on an F550), removing the fender well engine shield and going in from the side (same as on an F550 for best side access), removing the large engine cover inside the cab to get at the back of the engine (doesn't exist on an F550, so much more difficult to get at the rear of the engine on an F550), or removing the large engine cover inside the cab and the hood to get at the top of the engine (just lift the hood on an F550 to get access to most of the top areas).

To get general access to the engine of a Ford F550 truck when it's carrying a Super Class C is no more difficult than getting general access to the engine of a F550 truck when it has any other type of configuration ... just lift the F550's hood.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Phil G.;3831448]I guess I don't understand your comment above.

The later model F series trucks with the diesel engine, not V10, it can be necessary to remove the cab in order to access engine components. Goggle it and you will see what I am talking about. The diesels and V10's are apples and oranges as far as servicing and accessing for repairs.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=millsrv;3831456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post

The later model F series trucks with the diesel engine, not V10, it can be necessary to remove the cab in order to access engine components. Goggle it and you will see what I am talking about. The diesels and V10's are apples and oranges as far as servicing and accessing for repairs.

Thanks for the clarification.

Wow .... then I wouldn't get near one ... diesel or no diesel. There's too many things that can happen kindof out in the middle of nowhere such that easier engine access than that might be quite helpful.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

My post was about putting a front engine diesel in an F53 chassis anyway. I don’t think it would be anymore difficult to gain access to than the current gas configuration.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
My post was about putting a front engine diesel in an F53 chassis anyway. I don’t think it would be anymore difficult to gain access to than the current gas configuration.
I tend to agree with this, the chassis can be designed to allow access where necessary. The Ford diesels are complicated and there are many components, turbo, intercooler, cooled EGR, etc. These engines all seem to be plagued with problems, especially the first couple of years of a new design. Personally I would go with the tried and true Cummins and Allison Pusher rather than suffer all of the issues Ford diesels have (Google this subject to learn more).https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...warranty-costshttps://www.littlepowershop.com/ford...ems-and-fixes/
Old 01-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Keep in mind that the cab has to be removed on the F series power strokes to allow access to the engine for repairs. Wonder how that is going to work on an RV
X2, then consider possibly more weight for the Diesel which would eat into carrying capacity.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=millsrv;3831456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post

Good video of a Ford Diesel getting "bulletproofed"
Cab in the air. That could get a little tight with a Class C with the front overhead bunk
Old 01-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Why pay to have this done when it should have been done in the first place? These trucks are expensive and I would expect better. A lot of new businesses are popping up thanks to Fords poor design. Most gasoline engines will go at least 200,000 miles these days so having to put thousands into a diesel under 100,000 miles is nuts!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

I think probably because you can pick up a good used truck with that engine cheap, cheap. Drop 13-15K on the engine and it will do anything that a new $60,000 Ford will do. Gets back to any Diesel repair is expensive.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I think probably because you can pick up a good used truck with that engine cheap, cheap. Drop 13-15K on the engine and it will do anything that a new $60,000 Ford will do. Gets back to any Diesel repair is expensive.
Now this makes sense, If you find one of these trucks with a bad engine (probably easy) and spend the money then you have something great at a relative bargain I think we are supposed to talking about the V-10's though.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Now this makes sense, If you find one of these trucks with a bad engine (probably easy) and spend the money then you have something great at a relative bargain I think we are supposed to talking about the V-10's though.
My mind wanders at times (No Country For Old Men)

The conversation drifted to diesels somehow..........it's all good and interesting

To continue off subject many years ago with a young family money was tight. Buddy has his own repair shop. When he would get in a good car that somebody blew the engine in he would sell me the body, he would either rebuild or put in a low mileage engine. We always had pretty nice dependable cars for not much money.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Yippee

V8 is far superior to the V10. More power, torque and better gas mileage. I've owned 2 versions of the V10 and one of the 6.2. V8. V8 wins hands down
boatdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdesigner View Post
V8 is far superior to the V10. More power, torque and better gas mileage. I've owned 2 versions of the V10 and one of the 6.2. V8. V8 wins hands down
Hmmm ... if the overall drivetrain gearing is right ... horsepower is horsepower with respect to doing a given amount of work.

Was your 6.2 V8 more horsepower than your V10s?

If not, then your V10s - if geared accordingly - would of course have been able to handle any job that your V8 could have ... IF AND ONLY IF you had operated the V10s in a way that many truck owners do not feel comfortable with.

Unlike most truck V8 engines, what the V10 needs to tap it's horsepower is relatively high RPM. The V10 has to be rev'd up higher than the typical V8 in order to pull a given load the same way.

Our 12,000 lb. Winnebago Itasca Class C motorhome's 305 horsepower two-valve V10 - feeding 4:56 ratio differential gears (E450 chassis) - can pull hills right along with the diesel pulled TTs and 5'er's and big diesel powered Class A rigs if I push down the gas pedal far enough to invoke the right TorqShift transmission gear and the right high value of V10 RPM.

It took me awhile to get used to driving it this way, but the V10 does indeed get the job done the way I now drive it ... which is completely different than how I have to drive my 4X4 pickup with it's rumbling V8.

I will add that ever since my sports car younger days I have had a preference for high RPM engines, so the high spirited and high RPM V10 fits right in with what I prefer - even in our motorhome.

Tags
ford