Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago view oil change

What is the best oil to use for a 2015 6 cyl. Turbo diesel Mercedes. Have any others bought the oil change kits online if so did you have good results
Mark2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have not had to change ours yet after buying it used just a few months ago but we have done some research and plan to use these when needed;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJP5972

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRLPP8
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You need to use a very specific oil that meets Mercedes spec 229.52. This is a special low ash oil to keep your pollution control equipment happy. It is also a full synthetic oil. I use 0W-30, but if the 5W-30 meets specs, you can use that as well.

This oil is available from Mobil 1 and Valvoline. While you a busy changing the oil, you should look into changing the fuel filter as well. Diesels normally have this done much more frequently than gas engines.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Mercedes is so cheap, can't match it doing yourself . The Mercedes dealer , was like $169... , You get the vehicle checked by a real tech, recalls fixed , , 16 quarts of Mercedes brand oil , 2 quarts on the seat to go... , Mercedes filter , no appt needed , and out in an hour . And most importantly it is Documented history for future warranty work , and in addition , usually the first thing a prospective buyer will ask for .Just the Mobile 1 at auto zone is about $10 a qt,
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
Mercedes is so cheap, can't match it doing yourself . The Mercedes dealer , was like $169... , You get the vehicle checked by a real tech, recalls fixed , , 16 quarts of Mercedes brand oil , 2 quarts on the seat to go... , Mercedes filter , no appt needed , and out in an hour . And most importantly it is Documented history for future warranty work , and in addition , usually the first thing a prospective buyer will ask for .Just the Mobile 1 at auto zone is about $10 a qt,
So cheap where?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well Mark2416, Since IFFYLube apparently overfilled your Sprinter on a cheap oil change.... I'd be worried that these highly competent techs put in the correct oil... or did they just grab a dispenser hose and dump in who knows what?

JiffyLube is Pennzoil. Fine and good. However, the only 229.52 spec oil Pennzoil has qualified is: Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX

0W30 (BEVO sheet dtd 18FEB19)

Crows are born skeptics..... I'm having a hard time believing that a local Jiffy would have 13+ liters of Platinum Euro LX on the shelf.... and certainly not in their dispensers. It's just not a high volume oil.

I'd be very concerned that IFFY actually installed a Mercedes BEVO specification 229.52 oil. It is not something that is on every shelf in the parts stores. Just being 'synthetic' or Mobil 1 doesn't getter done. BEVO 229.52 is REQUIRED to maintain the long term function of the emission controls. Specifically the SCR, DPF & EGR systems (and probably the swirl valves). I'd either pray to the appropriate Norse/Celtic Gods or change it out for a known product. One that specifically states on the bottle 'MB Approved...229.52". If it doesn't.... it ain't.

For the record.... in a Crow's experience.... the US OM264 V6 turbo diesel takes about 12.5 L of oil on a change with filter. The best way to verify this is to put in 12L and crank her up. You have to get the oil STINKING HOT!!! with a drive. Park it level and shut down. Let it drain down for about 10 minutes. Check the dip stick. The 'correct' oil level STINKING HOT should be in just below (or slightly touching) the upper red nubbin on the dipper. In the 'correct' range. NO MORE than that. Now.... after she sits overnight go check it again.... AMBIENT COLD reading should be just below the middle of the area between the red nubbins on the stick. Mother says check it hot. Sure. STINKING HOT... however, if you have it correct when hot it will also be correct when ambient cold at just below 1/2 way between the nubbins.

Same goes for that generator.... oil volume expands as it gets hot. about 1/2 way on the genny's dipper works as well. STINKING HOT it will be at the correct level.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
So cheap where?
I am in Tampa Florida, Yes, the Mercedes dealer is to your advantage as well as being cheaper . my salesman at lazy Days has the same 24j, they always advise to go to mercedes. I had it changed at lazy days when purchased . At 9500 miles I look at my purchase inspection oil change to see what oil I needed to replace one quart down . Said Mobile one 15w40. Went down to get 2 qts and was informed they do not even use mobile one . So I learned a big lesson , took to Mercedes , had 2 recall updates needed and performed , 7.50 per quart instead of 10.50 .out in an hour without appt, told me my brakes pads were wonderful , all stock filter and mercedes tech . But once again the most important thing possibly is the fact you have Mercedes factory documentation to the upkeep of your RV . I know this is the most important thing when selling a vechicle .
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
or did they just grab a dispenser hose and dump in who knows what?
Indeed.

There is a big tire shop near where I live that does my tire related work - alignment, balancing, new tires, etc, and they seem like a really professional place. They have some of the very few lifts capable of lifting an RV and they serve RVs all the time with a special bay just for RVs. When they told me they also do oil changes and gave me a price of $180 (which is $45 less than the local Ford dealer) for my 2018.5 diesel Winnie Fuse I told them to go ahead and change the oil. Professionals, right?

About 20 minutes later I called them to make sure they knew what oil to use, and found out to my surprise that they had no idea. They were close to draining the oil and replacing it with bulk diesel oil and I am glad that I called early enough to tell them to stop. Right now. Do not drain my oil.

When I went back to pick up the RV they seemed pretty sheepish that they had not bothered to check. The manager told me that he looked it up and found that they had to use specific synthetic oil, but were not aware of that. I am not sure who I am more upset with. Me, for not asking before I left the RV or them for not even bothering to look up what oil was needed.

At this point I am very grateful that I called early enough to make sure no harm was done. From this point on I will deal with the Ford dealer, even at their higher price. It will protect my Fuse and my warranty.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I bought the "ESP" 0W-30 for $8.00/QT at my local O'Reily's for those DIY'er. It must say ESP to get the MB spec of 229.52.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
I bought the "ESP" 0W-30 for $8.00/QT at my local O'Reily's for those DIY'er. It must say ESP to get the MB spec of 229.52.
It's currently on sale at NAPA for ~$5.99. And happens about every 3 months?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MOR121218
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago