Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
2017 Itasca Spirit 27Q.

Winnebago 27q fresh water leak?

Just got it home 2017 27Q. Water level was below a 1/3 when I looked at it at car dealer. Not leaking. Ran water through sinks toilet shower very briefly. When I filled the tank when I got home I thought it was filled and saw the overflow underneath so I stopped the filling. But it was only at 2/3.
It is flowing over the top of the gray tank but when I lift the bed I do not see any leaks on the fresh tank. Any thoughts?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Leaks can be a hard thing to chase as they tend to leak one place and we see it come out another which can mean it dropped down and runs in any number of directions before we spot it. Bah! But you already knew that ,so this is what I would start with doing.
First I would let things dry a bit so I could spot any new water, then I would try running lots of water down one drain at a time to try to sort out if it is a drain leak and which one or if it is a leak from the fresh water holding tank. This might be a good time to have a helper either doing the water or looking for the leak to start flowing.
Then if I find no leak on drains, I would move on to filling the fresh supply and watch for leaking on the input lines and keep running it in until I spot some coming out. Keep in mind that the gauge may not be telling you the correct levels. Maybe it's really full and running over at an overflow as we can't have a tank and fill it without a way for air to get out.
Maybe it's a crack in the tank from freezing but I normally think of those as more likely to be low on the tank due to poor winterize methods. I lean more toward it being a fitting, either loose or broken. Due to shape and size, they tend to collect water and break easier than big things like tanks. But they are also harder to spot because it might be just a slit on the far side of the fitting you can see and half of them are hidden!
Lots of options and I have no real easy ways to find one.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

2/3rds full by visual inspection or by that silly gauge ?
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Just got it home 2017 27Q. Water level was below a 1/3 when I looked at it at car dealer. Not leaking. Ran water through sinks toilet shower very briefly. When I filled the tank when I got home I thought it was filled and saw the overflow underneath so I stopped the filling. But it was only at 2/3.
It is flowing over the top of the gray tank but when I lift the bed I do not see any leaks on the fresh tank. Any thoughts?

I also have a 27Q but I've not had a problem like this. From your description I'd suspect the full level sensor on the tank may not be working. Other than taking a look on the underside to see if perhaps the wire has become disconnected from the sensor, I'd take it back and make the dealer fix it.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
4gone

My first thought would be an issue with the fill line. If you had water in the tank (1/3), and no leaks, it doesn't seem like it would be the tank. Especially if you have a visual on the tank and don't see a leak. It sounds like from your description that the act of filling the tank was the first time you saw water. If you had 2/3 of a tank and just walked away would the leak continue or just stay static?

Tags
fresh water, leak, water, water leak, winnebago