Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wheel speed sensors 2014 Navion iQ View 24V

anybody have to replace their wheel speed sensor(s) 3 times in 31,000 miles? running away from Hurricane Dorian in the RV the ABS and other related warning lights came on. Looks like it will be one or more Wheel speed sensors. Was wondering if the Sprinter 3500 chassis with an RV on it tends to eat these things or is it just ours.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check out the Facebook group View/Navion Motorhomes Lots of posts. MB is starting to look into this. Covered under pollution warranty for 5 years.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm sure I've got a lot fewer miles (25,000) on my wheel speed sensors, but I wonder if it's a frequency of use issue? If your van sits for a long time, does that add to, or create, the issue? I use my Sprinter fairly regularly, even in the winter months, because we travel when we happen to decide to travel. It never sits for more than a month, or so.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have requested to join the View/Navion Motorhomes group. Thanks very much!! It does seem like MBenz has a design flaw in their wheel speed sensors or in how they have them mounted.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes. On my '15 Via (Sprinter3500).

Even after replacing them I still get some of the same trouble codes. I have been told it is a "communication error".
PartPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had 2 bad sensors in 6 months, first at 25K, second at 37K. We kept our view 23 months, loved every mile, we were just done with that travel phase
Old 09-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

ABS sensor recall

2 different mercedes dealers mentioned to us in the waiting rooms , it should be an across the board recall. the first one got the warning light on dash , figured we would creep home on I75 , well was night , the wheel sensor on back right controls transmission gear speed, so we went about a hundred miles and all of a sudden it goes into going from 5th to 1st gear . I thought it felt like the motor was going on and off . Tried to stop and absolutely no brakes at all . After a while it started up and we creeped a mile off Interstate . 40 mile ($900 roll back) to dealer.was a 15 minute sensor install. the next week we went 400 miles to topsail in Destin ,next morning leaving , abs warning light again , creeped to Mercedes , 15 minute install no charge . they will not change sensors ahead of time ,unless they go bad . I am surprised I even tried driving the 19 miles to the Pensacola Mercedes after the brake loss the time before.
Also interesting was when the 24J was on the roll back and we were following it in a rental ,there was a winnebago view pulled up next to the rollback . I had mentioned to the driver we had the abs light take out the brakes and tranny shifting , he said his sensor light was on since Washington DC. I said you are very lucky ...so far
The Mercedes service knows immediately when you say sensor light .
be careful out there ,when that dash says take to shop , it means DIRECTLY to shop...
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you are no a Mercedes sprinter chassis, there is an extended warranty for many wheel sensors. Be sure to look it up. As I recall the Louisville dealer charged about $200 for diagnostics then $400 for replacing. When second one went out and we'd moved to Florida we learned about the extended warranty. Louisville finally refunded us the $400 but not the $200 for diagnostics. Choose your repair shop wisely.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

This seems to be THE recurring issue with the Sprinter chassis now. BTW, wheel speed sensors are now used in many vehicles and it is not only Sprinter with the issues. Maybe we need to get back to a speedo cable. Lot of theories about why but so far no definitive answer. Drive it every day, let it sit, keep the wheels clean of brake dust on and on the list goes and so do the failures reported. These things have minimal clearance fwiw.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our speed sensor issue was confused by a simultaneous EGR valve issue. I was quoted an astronomic price to replace my just out of warranty EGR valve. Later they determined MB would warranty it. I believe because it is a diesel emissions component and VW had just gone through their multi billion dollar diesel emission fiasco. I have since read that this engine is not recommended for long idles.

I still got the occasional error message causing loss of the cruise control. Then I ran across a post which led me to try a free simple solution which has worked so far: While parked - turn the steering wheel lock to lock. This re sets the steering wheel position sensor.

Fingers crossed.
PartPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post
Check out the Facebook group View/Navion Motorhomes Lots of posts. MB is starting to look into this. Covered under pollution warranty for 5 years.
I had to take my 2017 View 24G (2016 Sprinter 3500) to MB to fix a wheel speed sensor problem back in Nov 2020. MB of Paramus, NJ (Camping World, where I bought it, said they don't work on Sprinter engines) charged me $586 dollars just to diagnose the problem (4 ohms v. 8 ohms, so they tell me). Then there was twice the retail price for the sensor plus labor.
MB just issued a recall of Sprinters for, guess what, wheel speed sensors. I'm hoping to get a refund.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just re-read the recall: good news and bad news. Good news, they will replace wheel speed sensors no cost. Bad news, the people who bring you "the best or nothing." Do not have a replacement part yet!

One of the posts above asks if it is a frequency of use issue. I think not. Just a poorly designed inadequately tested part that is not up to the weight and stresses of our RVs. So is this a Winnebago issue or a Mercedes issue? Clearly MB is holding the bag now. That said, I ran into this a lot in Army system testing--Program Manager would select a component that was not up to the mission, when caught, he would blame it on the part supplier. I prefer the old army way of solving this...the commander (program manager) is responsible for everything his (or now her) unit does or fails to do...period. No quibbling, no whining, no litigating. JUST FIX IT. So Winnebago, shame on you too.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
So Winnebago, shame on you too.
ALL motorhomes are two vehicles combined into one - a Chassis and a House. You have a chassis VIN and a house Serial No. No matter Class B, C or A the House is built on a cut down chassis by what's known as an "Upfitter."

Winnebago is responsible for the House, it's components and the upfitting. The Chassis manufacturer is responsible for and warranties separately the Chassis.

The entire motorhome industry is built upon this from the smallest Class B van to the largest Class A Marathon or Liberty coach. So, you can think that it should be different... but it's not an option.

Once Ford or Mercedes or Spartan, etc start building motorhomes directly without an upfitter then your wish will come true.