Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile What New Class Cs (Gas Generators)

What New Class Cs have gas generators that run off of motorhome fuel tank . And not off of LP gas ?
Thats a RRRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My 2016 Minnie Winnie's generator gets its fuel from the chassis gas tank.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Site Team

I think most all Class C RVs based on gas chassis have gensets that run on the vehicle’s gas fuel. While diesel “C” RVs run propane gensets.

There are diesel gensets, but they seem to be used in larger Class A diesel pushers.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think most all Class C RVs based on gas chassis have gensets that run on the vehicle’s gas fuel. While diesel “C” RVs run propane gensets.

There are diesel gensets, but they seem to be used in larger Class A diesel pushers.
That does make sense.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Our Outlook runs on gas. Shuts off when fuel tank is at 25% so we aren't stranded. I think that's pretty standard.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

diesel gen is an option when purchasing a View/Navion, standard is propane
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You should get a generator that runs on the same fuel as the motorhome - gasoline for gasoline powered motorhomes, diesel for diesel coaches. Most Class A diesel coaches have a diesel generator. The only place it seems to get weird is View/Navion Class C coaches which have a propane powered generator as standard, diesel is optional.

There is lots of discussion here on diesel vs. propane and no reason to rehash it all. Read the multiple pages of posts if you care.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help our local RV dealer was lost on that answer....
Thats a RRRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

salesmen just want to sell you what they have.... look around, there are a few quality dealers if you are willing to travel.

Check out Lichtsinn videos for some great overviews of the Winnebago line. I'm sure others can give you the names of the dealers they like.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You should get a generator that runs on the same fuel as the motorhome - gasoline for gasoline powered motorhomes, diesel for diesel coaches. Most Class A diesel coaches have a diesel generator. The only place it seems to get weird is View/Navion Class C coaches which have a propane powered generator as standard, diesel is optional.

There is lots of discussion here on diesel vs. propane and no reason to rehash it all. Read the multiple pages of posts if you care.

That's exactly the way to go - even when buying View/Navion. Ony by one with a diesel generator.

Diesel fuel is much easier to find when traveling than places that can fill a built-in propane tank. Also, propane contains much less energy per gallon than diesel does, so a propane generator will really deplete your onboard supply of a precious resource relatively fast.

Also, the furnace, water heater, refrigerator, cooking burners, and oven need propane - so don't use (waste) it powering the generator.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

My Trend runs off of gas not propane.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
salesmen just want to sell you what they have.... look around, there are a few quality dealers if you are willing to travel.

Check out Lichtsinn videos for some great overviews of the Winnebago line. I'm sure others can give you the names of the dealers they like.
Those Lichtsinn video's are great! Just spent my 2nd cold snowy outside afternoon watching them...........good stuff!!!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
That's exactly the way to go - even when buying View/Navion. Ony by one with a diesel generator.

Diesel fuel is much easier to find when traveling than places that can fill a built-in propane tank. Also, propane contains much less energy per gallon than diesel does, so a propane generator will really deplete your onboard supply of a precious resource relatively fast.

Also, the furnace, water heater, refrigerator, cooking burners, and oven need propane - so don't use (waste) it powering the generator.
Unless you use your generator very little, as we do, and then the difference is negligible. If I had my choice I would pick diesel but it does not make much difference to me since an LP tank will probably last me several months, given our limited use of it, and I would not pay an extra $5000 or $6000 for it. And, as I understand, an LP generators requires less maintenance (regular running) than either gas or diesel.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats a RRRV View Post
What New Class Cs have gas generators that run off of motorhome fuel tank . And not off of LP gas ?
Class Cs built on the Ford E450 chassis use GAS powered gensets. You will find over time that the best generator is the one that runs from the coach's fuel tank. While many new to RV'ing might not fully recognize the convenience and value of fuel from the coach's fuel tank, it is the right choice in the long term. Many of the newer gas class B coaches seem to use propane largely due to the size of gas generators and the inability of manufacturers to integrate them in smaller coaches. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Another good reason for me not to buy a TT is the propane gen. To be able to fill the fuel supply for the gen. when filling up the Coach is handy as heck.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats a RRRV View Post
Class Cs built on the Ford E450 chassis use GAS powered gensets. You will find over time that the best generator is the one that runs from the coach's fuel tank. While many new to RV'ing might not fully recognize the convenience and value of fuel from the coach's fuel tank, it is the right choice in the long term. Many of the newer gas class B coaches seem to use propane largely due to the size of gas generators and the inability of manufacturers to integrate them in smaller coaches. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Many of the newer gas class B coaches seem to use propane largely due to the size of gas generators and the inability of manufacturers to integrate them in smaller coaches. Good luck,
If a diesel generator is a high cost option over an LP generator on the View, then I expect it may be more that LP generators are just less expensive to produce and are being used to lower the price of those RVs that use them. And, of course, the advantage of gas or diesel generators over LP generators depends upon how often RVers stop at campgrounds with electric. The more they do the less they need any generator.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, generator, gas